Any street guys out there?

I've rode the dirt for many years ( on and off 28 yrs). I thought I'd give the street a try, mainly because my time is so limited (family). I can go for blast and be back in the amount of time it takes to load and unload my dirt bike.

Problem is I just cant seem to get comfortable out there. In the first 1500 miles I ran over a huge king snake no big deal but kind of freaky, seen lots of dear, had en extremely close call with a giant voucher (I cant believe I didn't hit it) thing had a wing span of about 5 feet and probably weighed 20 plus pounds, at 65 mph probably would have taken me out. Had a few cars drift over the double yellow, and big rigs scare the hell out of me.

The only thing that gets me going out there is the really tight twisties, other than that street riding is kind of boring.

Am I alone on this? or is it the norm. Any words of wisdom to keep me enthused on the street?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved riding the street. Owned an 05 R1 that I use to hit the canyons on and ride to work a couple times each week. I just sold it though a couple months ago because it was sitting too much with me going out of town on business all the time and I would rather twist in the dirt then street on my days at home.

I here you on the close calls. You can ride safe all you want, but you just can't control what is going on around you. I will probably buy another street bike when all this out of the country traveling calms down.

I've rode the dirt for many years ( on and off 28 yrs). I thought I'd give the street a try, mainly because my time is so limited (family). I can go for blast and be back in the amount of time it takes to load and unload my dirt bike.

Problem is I just cant seem to get comfortable out there. In the first 1500 miles I ran over a huge king snake no big deal but kind of freaky, seen lots of dear, had en extremely close call with a giant voucher (I cant believe I didn't hit it) thing had a wing span of about 5 feet and probably weighed 20 plus pounds, at 65 mph probably would have taken me out. Had a few cars drift over the double yellow, and big rigs scare the hell out of me.

The only thing that gets me going out there is the really tight twisties, other than that street riding is kind of boring.

Am I alone on this? or is it the norm. Any words of wisdom to keep me enthused on the street?

Go faster ?

I've been riding for about a year and in California the roads are amazing(except when they're on fire). Plus white lining makes trips so much faster.

I ride a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa. These days I ride like everyone is trying to kill me on the road.

It has been sitting more than rolling since the Dirtbikes moved in, but she still goes out once in a while. My 13 year old daughter rides the street with me(on the back), and my 7 year old son in the dirt. I guess I get to "double dip"!

I have been going to the "Dragon" in NC annually to get some twisties in.

The way I see it, the dirt keeps me sane on the street, and my age keeps me sane in the dirt.

Get a dual sport. That way you can ride on the street and just turn left into the woods. You just have to remember that you aren't on a dedicated dirt bike. It does good in both worlds, but not great.

As far as the street incidenenes that you are talking about. There is absolutley nothing you can do to stop them. Just ride smarter always expecting the box to do something like that.

You did not mention what kind of street bike you are riding but perhaps it is time to throw a sticky set of tires on it and head out for a track day. Be warned though, if you do like being out on the track it could lead to a bad addiction and plenty of debt!

Am I alone on this? or is it the norm.

Well I don't know about King Snakes and Vultures being normal, but after being a motorcycle courier in L.A., for several years and hundreds of thousands of miles, I will say that it's you vs. the world out there. I don't think a day went by that a close call didn't happen. Thankfully, close doesn't count.

You have to ride like a shark to stay alive. Always keep moving, always sticking your nose places and making yourself noticed, always scanning the waters for that next gap to shoot through or idiot driver to avoid.

I actually feel safer on the bike than the car. The car I'm more likely to get frustrated being stuck in traffic and be over agressive and take risks because I got a nice cage around me. I feel like I'm more in control and can go wherever and do whatever I want to do to feel comfortable than being "trapped" in traffic in a car.

My streetbike is an 2005 R1. Heli-bars and Corbin seat and I take it for 500 mile rides no problem. It's actually more comfortable that some standards and sport tourers I've owned. I prefer having the superior handling and braking of a sportbike, as I view it as an active safety feature that gives you more ability to deal with threats.

You did not mention what kind of street bike you are riding but perhaps it is time to throw a sticky set of tires on it and head out for a track day. Be warned though, if you do like being out on the track it could lead to a bad addiction and plenty of debt!

Hitting the track is addicting. I have a streetbike (2003 Honda RC51), and I just bought a dirtbike. Riding styles are waaaaaaaaaaaay different. Trackdays are where it's at for streetbikes. No cops, no double yellows, no tickets, no CAGES!

If you have to ask that question, (Any words of wisdom to keep me enthused on the street?)then I would say street riding isn't for you.

I just love to ride, there is no other reason except that. (It's ZEN)

It's in my blood.

Been riding since age 11, raced MX for a few years, and bought my first street bike with my own money at 16 yrs old. Since then I've only done without a bike for about 2 years total.

"CARRY ON"

I bought a street bike because sometimes I want to go for a short ride and not haul my bike all the way to the dez.

I like riding the surface streets and finding twisty roads nearby, but I don't care much for sharing the freeways with 18 wheelers.

I've been riding since age 10, raced MX for several years, and have been road riding since I was legally old enough except for an 8 year period after my daughter was born. I can't help myself. Riding is my addiction and my drug of choice. I ride year-round and commute everyday that it isn't raining sideways or icy. In fact, I pick up my dream bike tomorrow (BMW K100GT) and I'm so excited I don't think I'll sleep a wink tonight! I can't wait to get her up in the mountains and tackle the twisties. I'm so looking forward to some serious sport-touring after the temps warm back up. Shoot, who knows, I may just get tired of winter and just head south anyway. I'm sure I'll be out joy riding during the winter since I have my Gerbing electric jacket liner with the BMW's heated grips and seat.? Honestly, I probably get more joy out of road riding than dirt. I'm even considering plating my WR.

I ride a Drz400sm . I have had a motorcycle endosement for 32 years . I have been riding both street and dirt since the 70''s . I lived in California for ten years and really miss the lane splitting you could do . One year of riding the mountains and the 405 FWY at rush hour and you pretty much as expeirenced as you where ever going to be . Now in Indiana I'm too old and the roads are too straight for a pure sport bike, so the super moto does the job. I still wouldn't mind another street bike though.