Sign in to follow this  

Naches/Taneum Saturday (11/15)

Joe (trailmeisterjoe), Deon (pard), and I met up at the Safeway in Enumclaw at about 7:30am Saturday morning. We got our fuel for the bikes, truck and us, and headed down Hwy 410 about 8am. On our way over we got a great view of Mt Rainier, and Deon snapped a picture of it, while I stopped in the middle for the hwy.

DSCN0154.jpg

We got to the staging area about 9:30 and it was COLD. The few puddles that were still left were frozen over. As we were about to head out, the Yakima County ORV Sheriff showed up and talked to us for a few minutes. He was happy to see us clearing trails (Deon was packing a saw on this ride).

We got our first downed tree on 947

DSCN0155.jpg

When we got to the top of 947, we took 1388 over to quartz mtn. We almost made it to the top, but were stopped by snow with just the final climb to go

DSCN0159.jpg

Another shot of Mt Rainier from that spot

DSCN0161.jpg

We headed down peaches/1363 to 4 corners, went left on 1376/South Fork to 1377/North Fork to the Taneum shelter.

DSCN0162.jpg

Then we headed up to Windy Pass and took 1326 to 1334. Here's Deon going up one of the switchbacks above Windy Pass

DSCN0163.jpg

Joe

DSCN0164.jpg

We took 1334 to 1321 , left to 1321.1 where we tried to make it over Mt Clifty, but were stopped by snow about 100 yards from the top! So, we headed back down to 1321, and took it to 1388, back to 947. Joe must have found a root or something because he went down right as he was cresting the climb to the intersection with 947. The race was on to see if I could get my camera out before he could get back on the bike. He won

DSCN0166.jpg

Just after heading down 947, I broke my chain. Thankfully, Joe had a few masterlinks with him, and we were soon back on our way. We got back to the truck just a little before dark

DSCN0167.jpg

There's a few more pictures I didn't post that you can see here http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa13/onanymonday/Naches/

Conditions were great. It wasn't too cold (I ditched the coat about 20 mins in), and there was little mud/water and NO dust! Next weekend should be another good ride.

Jeremy

hey, i resent that! i did NOT go down....just a ton of rutted mud and a root stopped me momentarily, so i hopped off and pushed the bike out of the mess!!

Joe

:thumbsup:

hey, i resent that! i did NOT go down....just a ton of rutted mud and a root stopped me momentarily, so i hopped off and pushed the bike out of the mess!!

Joe

Ha, I know where every single one of those picts was taken(except maybe one).

Think I have ridden Taenum a couple?

Cool picts of ranier...its now my desktop

Wish I could've been there with you guys:banghead:

Little Jeff

Jeff...yeah, especially in that section along the top of clifty that had 5-6 inches of snow on softball sized rocks with a dropoff to an immediate death. :thumbsup: it realy was cool though. i will have to run that section again in the summer for sure because it has been years and years since i was up there:thumbsup:

Joe

Joe if you go back up that way this weekend would you want to go get my bar cover off of Cliffty:smirk:

I've got a new bar cover that I picked up off the side of the road that I don't need. You can have it.

Joe, I was talking with Steve tonight, and if the snow level stays up high this week, we were thinking Gifford. Otherwise, maybe Reiter?

Jeremy