Out-of-Stater Riding in California

I understand there is a Red and Green sticker I can buy to ride in California (I'm from Northern Nevada). I have a 2001 DR-Z (E) which is pretty much stock (as far as I know). I'm not a real aggressive rider. Is the type of sticker I can get to ride in CA predetermined by law or can I purchase the type I want? Also, is it reasonable to expect that my bike will pass the CA noise requirements or is that another thing to be concerned with?



if its stock it will most definatly pass sound, i was 87db with the restrictor knocked out. in nevada i think you can actually register the bike for the road by installing the very minimal things. That would be the best bet cause then red/green sticker wouldnt apply. To save weight you could take all the street stuff off and just have the rear fender with a plate on it. If you put together your own street legalizing kit it wouldnt be that expensive especially considering if you have to buy dirt registration it can be costly, dont know exactly how much though. technically your bike though would be a red sticker if sold new in california, so thats why i suggest the plate method cause red sticker bikes can only ride at certain places during certain times of the year, green bikes can ride more places more throughout the year, but plated bikes can ride almost anywere anytime.

I agree with Tim Martin. Plate it in Nevada and then you don't have to mess with the California Off-Road permit. I had no problems down there with my plated DRZ.

Never ever get the PIA Calif DMV involved unless you absolutly have to.

Hey Jim, I've been in a couple of dual sport rides that went into California, and having my DRZ licenced in Nevada stickers never came into question. As far as I know California has to respect whatever regulations your bike is regestered under. Correct me if I'm wrong :) By the way I got sucked into 130 miles of desert riding this weekend. Next time this happens I'm giving you a call.


I thought I saw your name on the post about Sand Mountain. Were you there? I've been out there once with the bike but I'm a coward when it comes to sand. Seems like it's just waiting throw me to the ground. Maybe a Scott's Damper makes it easier to ride sand.

Yeah, call me when you're ready to ride. Is your bike an "S" or an "E"? My wife suggested I get mine licensed for the street. Maybe I'll do that. Especially if it then makes it legal to ride in CA.


We were out on the 4-mile flat road. This takes off to the south about 1/4 mile past the turn off to Sand Mountain. We saw three other dual sports riding ahead of us. I think they unloaded at Sand Mountain. We road down to the Gabbs Valley and back. A good ride :). As for your question I have an S model that is slowly getting more E like. Talk to ya later.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By BikeChimp
      I'd like to turn my UK 2004 DRZ400S back to stock airbox (snorkel) and jets, needle shim position etc
      When I bought it the PO had fitted a Sigma6 kit and done the 3x3 mod but is doesn't have a tapered needle like the JD and other kits. Took me ages to get it running right, however it still runs rich and I'm fed up of arsing around with it. 
      So I've bought a standard airbox without 3x3 hole, stock exhaust.
      Q1 The Suzuki manual says this Mukuni BSR36 (29FA) carb should have a 142.5 Main Jet but the Clymer manual say its a 135.  In UK everything's from sea level to 1000m. I'm in Sheffield so nothing gets above 500m even in the Peaks (Hills). Any UK owners or anyone else know what the correct jet should be?
      Q2 Says the original needle is a '5DH36-2nd'. The needle has 5 notches on it. Currently set at 2 clip from bottom. The Suzuki reference says needle is 5DH36-2nd, Does the 2nd bit mean 2nd from top or bottom?
      Q3 - Does anyone have a detailed photo of the shim order just in case it was assembled wrong. (mine is attached)
      I know most people on here are going to be horrified I'm taking back to stock but any help on above would be really appreciated.

    • By Bgringo
      I've read a lot of threads about this but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm pulling my 2004 DRZ400S out of storage sometime this week and getting it ready for the season.  I live at 9,000 ft, but my first ride of the year is probably going to be at around 5,000 ft.  I was going to pull the 145 main jet I'm running and put in the 150 adjusting the needle from the 2 clip to the 3rd, then re-jet once I got home.  I already have the extended fuel mixture screw in place so I started thinking that I should just run the 150 jet set up and adjust the fuel screw to compensate for the higher elevation where I'll be doing most of my riding.  I will be going down in elevation for rides until late May or June depending on snowfall, but riding on the street when I'm able.  Are there any disadvantages with this?
      I'm new to posting on this forum, so please forgive me if I didn't get the right search words in and there is already a post about this.
    • By Markl5557
      I am currently running 10w 40 Belray non synthetic and I want to switch to full synthetic amsoil .... is it ok to switch from regular to synthetic? I have read it’s not safe to go from synthetic to regular can someone explain if it’s safe to go from regular to synthetic!? Thanks !
    • By RockyMtnMark
      Good Morning,
        Last night I measured my valve clearances for the very first time (I know...) on my DRZ400S.  It's a 2002 and I've owned is since 2011.  I bought it with t's got about 15,000 miles on it and most of it's miles these days are on dirt.
      Intake specs are 0.10-0.20 mm.  Exhaust specs are 0.20-0.30
      My intake valve clearances are in spec, forgot to write them down.  My exhaust valve clearances are between 0.1778 and 0.2032 which is slightly out of spec.  They are no more than 25 microns out of spec.  My question is, do I really need to shim these?  Will this kind of out-of-spec cause performance, mechanical, or other losses?  As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy a whole shim kit which is like $80.  Thanks!
    • By Zach440
      Selling my 2009 Drz400sm. Been a great bike but it’s time to let go . Not looking for any trades - spring is just around the corner ! Located in northern Virginia . Cash only $4200- willing to negotiate I have some wolfman luggage options available as well. Love to make a package deal for someone 

      -11640 miles . Mild off-road never wrecked.
      -Oil / filter changed every 1500 miles
      -New did chain , brake pads , front sprocket at 10400 miles .
      - valves checked and within spec at 10,000
      - jetted with JD kit and 3x3 mod
      -doubletake mirrors
      -waterproof usb wired and located next to Speedo
      - drc large foot pegs , barkbusters with integrated turn signals . 12oclocklabs tall delete with upgraded circuit board
      -thumpertalk case savers
      -sergeant seat (amazing) and Clarke 3.9 tank (190mile range )
      - fog lights wired in so they shut off with high beams
      -Shorai lithium battery
      -led headlight

      - stock gas tank and seat will be included

      The bike is dirty in photos and I apologize my water is currently disabled outside due to freezing temps . Radiator guards and skid plate NOT included but can be for some extra $$. Rear tire could be replaced but front is fine .