Troubleshooting Ideas

Hi, I have read some very informative information on this site. Now I am in need of some.I have a 2000

yz426f. When I first start it I let it idle on choke, then I take the choke off and rev the engine to warm it

up. This is when the bike starts spitting, sputering and throwing flames out of the exhaust. After about

2 minutes it seems to have warmed up and runs great the rest of the day. Next day of riding I have the

same problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

After about 2 minutes it seems to have warmed up and runs great the rest of the day. Next day of riding I have the same problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a simple rule that says, “Ignore whatever the bike is doing until it is fully warmed up.”

Based on that rule I’d say you don’t have a problem.

Hick is right, if it runs great after it is all warmed up, why worry?

Mine does the same thing, You really don't have any problem ride and enjoy. I don't romp on mine untill it is warm though.

I agree. though it could probably be cleaned up some, I dont see you have much of a problem. Is it cold there right now? Does it do this in the summer also? It would also help in your signature if you let us know where you are. Elevation and temperatures play a role in diagnosis. :)

Thanks guys for reassuring me I don't have a problem,but I'm going to try to sell in the spring and I would

like it to start like it use to. As far as weather,it's cold in upstate NY now. The problem started at the end

of our race season. Last few rides were late October early November. Temps were in the 50-60 range.

Any thing that you can think of that I could try on these nasty days of winter? Thanks

Mine is older than yours but it runs and starts very well. I'd agree with all the other comments about letting it warm up completely before assuming a problem. Mine will actually die if I give it gas too soon, but idles fine and rips when it's at operating temp. If you want it "fixed" for selling, I would offer 2 suggestions. Thorough carb cleaning and start it before your prospective customer shows. Give it enough time for the pipe to cool before they get there, then it should be less likely to sputter. I don't think this is dishonest, since you really shouldn't judge how the bike runs til it's warm anyway...