03 250f Both fork seals gone in only three months

After riding at the practice track today I noticed that that the fork seals on both my forks were leaking. I'm a beginner and don't abuse the bike at all as far as ˆknow. Should this be happening so soon?

The bike is only three months old with maybe ten rides on it.

Usually it's dirt that makes the seals leak.

Move the wiper down (the thing that looks like the seal on the fork) to expose the seal. Clean all the dirt out. You may be able to salvage the seals by cleaning it contact cleaner and using some old camera film to clean inside the seals.

The best thing to do to make it not happen again is to put lot's of grease inside the fork wiper. This is a picture from Steve's web site showing the grease on the wiper.

I guess the image doesn't work. Here is the click link:

Steve Unruh's Fork Picture

Thanks Steve. It saved my seals. ?

Howdy, another habit you should get in to is bleeding excess pressure from the forks after each ride. As th forks work in their travel, air pressure builds from the cartridge cycling up and down. Also, heat develops from the friction of the interior moving parts, causing the trapped air in the forks to expand. Located atop the fork caps you'll note a small slotted brass screw. Remove this screw after a ride and just listen to the hiss of pressure relieved ?. I do this religiously and get 5-7 months of service from my seals....

They are all the same, thats the good news. The dealer who doesn't have any sells them for $15 for the set (1 Oil & 1 Dust) the dealer who does have them in stock wants $22 a set. BIG differance. It really pays to shop, Its amazing to me how much some dealers jack up the cost. I guess its still way cheaper than Yamaha who wants $60 for two sets of each.

I was talking about the Honda Dealers and the 01 CR125 seals. Three dealers and they all said they only come as a set of two, one seal, one dust seal. ranging from $15 to $22. You would need to buy two to do both forks. I hope they are mistaken and when i buy them all four are included....time will tell.

Another on the list that contributes to blown fork seals is tying your bike down to tight. When you do this you are putting to much constant pressure in the forks. The cure for this is a FORK SAVER you place it in between the front tire and the fender so when you strap the bike down it could only compress about 2 inches which in return saves you from blowing fork seals every three months and it keeps your bike nice and tight. They are about $14 and you could find them in your local shop or mail order supplier.

You can also install "bike boots" that only lock your front wheel down and nothing else - I've seen them in action and they seem to work really well. They need to sell these things for a pickup truck that is not permanent - has anyone seen them for a pickup truck? All of the ones that I've seen are for a permanent installation on a flatbed like a box truck or trailer. ?