Sign in to follow this  

09 300 XC-E vs XCW-E

Well after messing around with the old red 450X 4t I think its well over due to turn orange. Ktm is recomending the 300 2t XC-E over the 300 XCW-E and I wanted to know what major differences there are between the 2 bikes?

Im 90kgs and will be riding in heavy dunes and rocky terrain, no forests over my way :thumbsup: Our daily rides tend to last upto 6hours

Will will either bike require heavier rate springs?

Close ratio tranny and suspenders... The suspension on an XC is more MX driven and can handle MX racing. The W is a more supple and trail driven bike, that is my understanding at least.... If your a casual rider the W may be more up your alley, for the hard core racer types, the XC is most likely going to fit your needs.

the xc is a do it all bike. it is the most versatile. depends on what you ride. the xc-w is for single track. sounds like you are in the wide open alot so the xc would make sense. IMO i would stay away from the e start. they are hard to maintain and seem to malfunction alot. besides it's not very hard to kick start a pinger...even a 300.

as far as springs go.. i am 90 kilos as well and had to respring my 2006 200xc. if you are a fast rider you will out ride and bottom the stock springs.

cheers!

and enjoy

Well, I'm looking into the same bike. And from what I can gather, all you have to really do is think of the XC as a motocross bike and the XC-W as a off-road bike.

Now, if you spend a lot of time in say 4th or even 5th gear, then your riding faster trails and at that point the XC-W would be a better fit. Because of the W's higher ratio gears.

In your case you said that you owned a CRF450x. And if you really feel like that was a better bike for you than a CRF450f would be, then a XC-W would be your bike.

And as far as I know, E-starting had some problems at first, but all is well now. Is there anyone out there that has had a 250 or 300 with E-starting all year that can comment on it's reliability?

And as far as I know, E-starting had some problems at first, but all is well now. Is there anyone out there that has had a 250 or 300 with E-starting all year that can comment on it's reliability?

I have a 2008 XCW-E since august 2007; it has close to 100 hours (almost exclusively endurocross racing). When the bike was new the e-starter was not turning the engine fast enough, dealer fixed it for free in an hour. It has been working great ever since with hardly no maintenance.

Little advice, don't use the e-start when the bike is dead cold (i.e., the first start of the day)...

I've had my 300XCWe since 1/08 (280 miles), and my buddies' had his 300XCWe since 2/08 (560 miles), and neither have had any e-start issues. Hell, mine is still on OEM grease and not shimmed...:thumbsup:

The first run of bikes had a thick coat of grease that impaired the starters bendix from operating as designed. Easy fix and isnt an issue on the 09's.

I have lots and lots of starts on mine already. No issues. I installed the kit on my 08 which didnt have the starter standard.

Quite possibly the best $461.00 I have ever spent on a motorcycle.

Get the W'. You sound like you will be doing lots of higher speed riding and the XC stock fork will need more work to make it plush in the rocks.

Compared to the XC the XCW has a lower first and taller 5th.

Gear spacing is wider (W). XCW will have a higher top speed and can crawl in the woods.

Your CRFx would be wider ratios than a CRFr.

I have close ratio and wide ration bikes and prefer the wide. We typically ride single track that is very tight.

XC suspension is more scramble or track oriented than the XCW which is more enduro oriented.

I'm fairly sure the spring rates on the 08 and 09 models are the same but the08's were sprung as follows

XC fork = .44

XC shock = 6.6

XCW fork = .42

XCW shock = 6.9

The only dif in 08 was the XCW had e-start.

At your 200 lbs the recommended spring rates for both are:

Fork = .44

Shock = 8.0

My 07 300 is a W and when I get another it'll also be a W.

Last year i went from a yz450f setup for XC to an '08 300XCW-e....i sold it within a month for the same amnt I paid for it. I must be the only person on earth who didn't like this bike, at the time it got bike of the year from one of the dirt rags.

For me, the gappy transmission was super annoying (akin to turbo lag) and the suspension was way too softly sprung for my personal taste. The light weight was a godsend, and it started first kick so I could do without the battery and estart and lighten it even more.

I'm now planning on picking up an XC model, top speed is approx same as my yz, but it sure is lighter for hustling through tight trees at speed and the yz is a nightmare on muddy roots, ruts. Read DirtRiders review of the XC with Jimmy Lewis, he flat loves the thing!

just my 2 cents....think hard about what kind of riding you'll be doing before deciding.

I went from a 450X to an 09 300XC. I have never ridden the W model but I think it would be way too gappy. Coming off a big bore 4 stroke, any 2 stroke can feel gappy. There is all kinds of power in any rpm range on a 450. The 300 does provide low end but you cannot compare it to a 450. Although at first it didn't feel like it, I am way faster on the 300 than the 450 on single track. The low end power is so much more usable and when you want to, open that throttle up and it moves. Go for the XC. What a sick machine. Best bike I have ever owned. It does like to be ridden agressive though. Also, I don't care what anyone says about the suspension, it's good.

Compared to the XC the XCW has a lower first and taller 5th.

Gear spacing is wider (W). XCW will have a higher top speed and can crawl in the woods.

First is the same, at least on the '08 and '09 according to the manual:

Gear XC XC-W

1 14:30 14:30

2 16:26 17:26

3 18:24 19:23

4 21:24 20:20

5 22:21 29:23

(Edit) Looks like it was the same on the '07 too.

I have an '08 300 XC-W with about 1000 miles on her. I use and love the starter. It's the primary starter for me.

I only kick her over if I want to annoy my non-happy-button riding buddies. To know I can simply thumb the button, but don't...pisses them off no end!:thumbsup::moon:

-Jay

First is the same, at least on the '08 and '09 according to the manual:

Gear XC XC-W

1 14:30 14:30

2 16:26 17:26

3 18:24 19:23

4 21:24 20:20

5 22:21 29:23

(Edit) Looks like it was the same on the '07 too.

they run different final drive ratios though. 14/50 for the XC, 13/50 for the W.

I am gettign the 300 exc-e which i believe is same as the 'W'.

They do nto sell the XC in Australia so I had no choice.

How can I eliminate the gappy tranny to make it like the XC tranny?

Byte

I am gettign the 300 exc-e which i believe is same as the 'W'.

They do nto sell the XC in Australia so I had no choice.

How can I eliminate the gappy tranny to make it like the XC tranny?

Byte

Is it the 2nd to 3rd gap that bothers you?

Try a 52T on the rear and short shift the sumbuck through them gears.

thanks - waht about the gap between 4th and 5th?

Byte

thanks - waht about the gap between 4th and 5th?

Byte

the 52 will close them all up some. I liked my 250E with a 52 better, makes the 300 a bit much for some, though. 51 may be good as well.

...or you can swap the tranny gears out, if ya got the dough.