Sign in to follow this  

1992 RMX 250 supermoto build!!!!

hey everyone, picked this up 2 weeks ago and absolutly love it. got it for £750 and its verrrry clean for its age!! the guy who had it before me had just put a piston kit, clutch and FMF fatty on it, and then used it about 3 times as he has just bought a KTM!!! wanted it perfect so totally stripped it and started cleaning!!!! then decided to go down the supermoto route with it!!

09112008362.jpg

All the plastics removed

12112008363.jpg

12112008367.jpg

12112008365.jpg

12112008370.jpg

as u can see the frame is quite tatty, so decided to get it stove enameled!! that will be back in a few days!!

15112008374.jpg

15112008375.jpg

the engine needs a good clean!!

15112008376.jpg

took all these parts to be sand blasted, very happy with the results.

18112008387.jpg

19112008388.jpg

the rear shock has come up nice after a good clean, still got the original SHOWA sticker on it!!

16112008384.jpg

thats all for now will post more pics when frame and swing arm are back from being stoved!! and when ive cleaned the rest of it all.

Welcome!

That's going to be nice! I can't wait to see her in 'tard form. Have you any idea what brand frame covers those are?

Welcome!

That's going to be nice! I can't wait to see her in 'tard form. Have you any idea what brand frame covers those are?

yea the frame covers are CRD, thats what it has printed on them anyway, hope that helps.

Have you checked an online OEM source in England? Most in the U.S. show the bike fiche and the available parts (like in that link.)

Have you checked an online OEM source in England? Most in the U.S. show the bike fiche and the available parts (like in that link.)

yeah been trying loads of places, nobody has a stand!!!!! ill probably buy from that link you sent me, just need to find out how much shipping is first!!!

That looks like a fun project, it should look good when you are done.

Is it going to be a track bike or can you get it plated for the street?

M

That looks like a fun project, it should look good when you are done.

Is it going to be a track bike or can you get it plated for the street?

M

it is already plated and ready for the street as soon as i am done!!! bought it with 9 months TAX and 7 months M.O.T!!! should be great fun when its done!!

Nice. I just picked up a plated RMX that I'm going over this winter. I have a set of GS550 wheels that I was going to use to supermoto my DR350, they're going on the RMX now.

this arrived this morning, acerbis supermoto fender!!

18112008386.jpg

18112008385.jpg

should be getting the frame back on sat, and the swingarm early next week

and cleaned some more stuff, came up ok after about a litre of GUNK!!!!

16112008380.jpg

15112008377.jpg

16112008383.jpg

15112008378.jpg

15112008379.jpg

That's going to be nice!

Since you have the engine out, at least remove the exhaust valves and give them a good cleaning. It probably wouldn't hurt to pull the cylinder and check the piston, too.

That's going to be nice!

Since you have the engine out, at least remove the exhaust valves and give them a good cleaning. It probably wouldn't hurt to pull the cylinder and check the piston, too.

yeah good point that uncle alpo, ill start that after my dinner!!!

One tip: the exhaust valve tension is set by that "knob" on the left side of the cylinder. Take a punch (or marker or something) and mark where it currently is, so you can reinstall it in the same place. There's a spring under the knob, so it will turn when you loosen those screws.

One tip: the exhaust valve tension is set by that "knob" on the left side of the cylinder. Take a punch (or marker or something) and mark where it currently is, so you can reinstall it in the same place. There's a spring under the knob, so it will turn when you loosen those screws.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a good setting is 1/2 to 1 turn clockwise, if you don't do the punch first (which assumes the prior owner had it set right in the first place). Is that right?

Nice project bike, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Keep us up to date with lots of pics and info on your progress.