Motard hub match for X440S

Does anyone know if a 2002 X440s has hubs that match another bike. I've heard the front is a CR ? match and rear a YZ ? match. I'm looking to have a set of Talons laced into motard wheels but need an exact match for the UK wheelbuilder, they don't know a Cdale from a Colnago as should be the case. I've not heard back from Cdale yet so any verifiable info would be appreciated.

(PS: If anyone has stock hubs for sale I'd be interested)

I don't know about the 440s, but the E,C & X models have hubs that are basically like the '97~'01 CR250's.

But I would think that motard wheels would be available from Cannondale at a reasonable price. Would you like me to check?

Heck yeah. The opener is March 15th just fyi. Also, if not too much trouble, I need new gearing biased for top speed, there will be no dirt sections, I wonder what the S has? If Cdale has a caliper/320mm rotor set-up I'd be interested to see what that runs.

I really appreciate it Bruce, there's not much info out there for Dale 'tards.

Mike

hsu@dcarch.com

I had a Ti axle on the front of mine. All the important dimensions were the same as a late model YZ except for the larger diameter end part was a bit shorter, about 3cm vs 3.5 for the C-Dale part. The YZ axle worked perfectly, so I imagine a YZ hub should also work.

Joe

Also, if not too much trouble, I need new gearing biased for top speed,

I got some rear sprockets for a guys C'dale Motard from Sprocket Specialties. A 40 & a 42 if I remember right. They told me, along with the tech at the factory that the sprocket on the CR's were the same.

I'll call the factory today and find out what I can and get back with you here OK?

That is correct, they are the same. I have a 52t rear for a Honda CR250 on mine.

The wheel assy's are in stock at the factory, but in small numbers.

The front caliper & rotor on the motard are different than the others, but the rears are the same. They are in stock at the factory, again in small numbers, which makes sense to me as I don't imagine the motard business is very big requiring much inventory.

I haven't spoke to tech yet to find out if they will just bolt on, but I imagine they will.

I'll send you a PM with pricing info.

Just an FYI, the S440 front brake system is made up of a Brembo 4 piston billet caliper and master cylinder, 320mm Galfer wave rotor, and an Aluminum caliper bracket. These items are fairly pricey, but this setup is "THE TICKET" for motard racing! Super strong, very predictable.

Also, the front wheel spacers are different on the S440, so you'll need those. And the rim offset on the front wheel is different than the "dirt" bikes. If you buy aftermarket rims laced up to stock hubs, then they will need to get the offset right. Or just buy the stock S440 wheels.

Just got off the phone with Tech at the factory. Here's the scoop;

The forks 'pattern' is the same as a '99 CR250. By that they mean the bolt pattern for the caliper. The front hub is the 'same' as a YZ426. So to go with the pieces from Braking, you'd need to order a caliper kit for a CR and a rotor for a YZF.

They were under the impression that the wheels for the motard would bolt right up to your XS and did not mention anything about offset or spacers. But it sounds like Motardracer has some experiance in this area, so I'm tending to lean his way as far as that goes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all. Please tell me if I'm missing something...

1) Buy S Motard wheels from Cannondale and spacers to match.

2) Since I can't swing the Brembo set-up I'll get the Motomaster or Braking system with a rotor for YZ426f and a caliper and adapter bracket for a 99 CR250.

3) Reuse my existing rear disc and caliper.

4) Reuse an existing Brembo radial MC pump...although I have a feeling that the 19 x 20mm piston will be too sensative.

5) Change the 13 c.shaft for a 14 and go with a 42 tooth rear.

One more question, can I use a streetbike braided front line (that I have) or go with a solid sheathed stocker?

Thanks again. :)

Thanks all. Please tell me if I'm missing something...

OK.

1) Buy S Motard wheels from Cannondale and spacers to match.

Check.

2) Since I can't swing the Brembo set-up I'll get the Motomaster or Braking system with a rotor for YZ426f and a caliper and adapter bracket for a 99 CR250.

As I understand it, that is correct. What you'll probably find is that the CR250 stuff is the same from '97 to '01. Can't tell you about the Yamadog parts, I'm not familiar with them.

3) Reuse my existing rear disc and caliper.

They are supposed to bolt right up.

4) Reuse an existing Brembo radial MC pump...although I have a feeling that the 19 x 20mm piston will be too sensative.

Well, it didn't take too long to get over my head... *duh*

5) Change the 13 c.shaft for a 14 and go with a 42 tooth rear.

Thats what Jason (our local rep) did on his motard. With gearing that tall I would *think* that triple digit speeds would be attainable. Gawd, you motard guys are NUTS!!! *LOL*

One more question, can I use a streetbike braided front line (that I have) or go with a solid sheathed stocker?

My front line is braided and sheathed. Aren't they all? I would think that either would be fine, but braking dynamics on bikes reaching those speeds have to be critical, so I'm going to plead the 5th here 'cause I don't have a clue.

Let me know if I can be of any further help to you.

I've raced my X440s in a few supermotard races...lots of fun. Anyway...rumors are true...Honda CR rear and Yamaha yz400/426 front, CR pattern forks. Paul at MotoMaster sells the 320mm full floating brake rotor and caliper mount kit for the Cannondale(about $300 including pads). In fact, I personally went to his shop and picked the kit up. He mentioned that the offset for the normal (CR) rear was different and had to have the rim moved slightly to the side and retightened. He sells some really beautiful Talon/Excel wheels in black or gold for about the same price ($1100.00 or so)as the OEM S440 wheels. S440 stock are black anondized rims and black powercoated hubs. Front hub is different to my recollection since they use the Braking wave rotor which has an offset for the 4 piston caliper. Therefore, the caliper and mount would be different also. Stock master cylinder is 12 mm. You will eventually think this is fine for the dirt sections, but too small after long pavement sections. I purchased a slightly rashed 5/8" mastercylinder from a Honda F4 for 8 bucks. Insanely strong brakes. Too much for the dirt, so maybe 1/2" or 14 mm is the ticket. Maybe even put a little air in the lines to give it some play. I have a gold six piston caliper that I've ground down on the inside to fit on the 17" wheels. I would sell that for a fair offer. You'd need a machinist to make the caliper mount, but would be so trick looking.

If you don't really want to pay for the wheels, keep looking on eBay or post an offer to trade your 19" rear wheel for someone's 18 (from C or E) Street tires are really hard to find in 19" size unless you get the expensive flat track tires. You could get a rim and spokes for about $200 or buy a whole used wheel for the same price.