Pro Circuit starting prob

Hi,

Just installed a full exhaust system TI 4 on my CRF450 2003 , power is good but since i have fitted it the bike is harder to cold start , i have to kick 6-8 times before it was 2 or 3 times!!!(the bike has only 4 hours and never did it before the TI4)The bike seems to be not too lean and not too rich(if i pull the hot start lever while the engine is running the idle slow down and the engine wants to stop , if i turn out the fuel screw(richer)the idle goes too high so i let it at 1 1/2 out ).The throttle response is good , just seems to overrev faster.WHEN hot , starts first kick!!Another thing the bike is not popping or backfiring!Also after everyride after washing the bike , i empty the carb so no more gas in it.

Do you have some tips or advices for me ? :)

Best regards.

Nico

sorry but up :)

Is there nobody who have opinion on what's wrong with my bike ? I only changed the exhaust and now i have cold starting problems or is it normal?Please answer me!!

I HAVE A T-4 SLIP ON (NO HEADER PIPE) I DID NOT NOTICE ANY CHANGE IN STARTING WHEN I PUT IT ON MY CRF.IT HAS ALWAYS TAKEN BETWEEN 3-8 KICKS TO START COLD EVEN MORE WHEN THE TEMPS ARE BELOW FREEZING. ARE YOU GIVING IT 3 FULL OPEN CLOSE THROTTLES BEFORE YOU START IT? I DON'T KNOW SOMETIMES MINE IS SUPER EASY TO START OTHERS NOT SO EASY, BUT NEVER TO DIFFICULT. IF IT DOESN'T START RIGHT AWAY I'LL WAIT 10-15 SEC. AND TRY AGAIN USUALLY FIRES RIGHT UP. HOPE THIS HELPS SOME. :)

Hi thanks for your answer , i put the exhaust last week and ride it for the first time sunday , it was cold (5°c)but very wet.I had to kick 8 times for starting the bike!! Before i only rode the bike 3 times and it usually starts on third kick.I don't know if it matters but as i said i use to empty the carb each time after washing.Never twisted the throttle before but this week end i did it and more difficulties to start , is it the reason i don't know?

When the engine started no problem good idle and no dying.

I don't worry too much but it was strange than before the PC it started more easily but the weather wasn't so wet but as cold maybe it's normal , don't know.

There have been a few threads on hard starts but, you could be rich or lean since you changed your pipe. Once it starts does it seem like it's either? If so play with the fuel screw on the card or adjust your needle.

696 has something.......maybe rich or lean .

I was thinking about it but as i explained when the bike has just started cold i pull the hot start lever and the idle slows down and the engine wants to stop , if i turn out the screw fuel for 1/4 (1 1/2 to 1 3/4) the idle goes high too much so i presume that the jetting is good ,AM I WRONG?Except with spark plug how can i check the jetting?When hot the bike starts first kick !!!

I spoke with a mechanic and he told me that it was because i empty the carb .He told that with a road bike which starts on the electric starter in 1 second if he empties the carbs that bike will take 15-20 seconds on the starter to start.Is he right , don't know ?

Sorry if i made a lot of mistakes but i speak better french than english and i try to do my best.

Thanks all for the incoming answers

Don't empty the carb! Most of the time I don't even shut off the petcock. Mine starts 1st or 2nd kick every time.

I know but i empty the carb each for 2 reasons : 1. i can check if there is no water or dust in the carb. 2.during winter with the bad weather here in Belgium i don't know how long will the bike stay in the garage without riding.

I also empty the fuel tank to ride each time with fresh gas.

Dear Blackwolf

If I correctly understand your post,the part where you say that you adjust the fuel screw richer than the idle is too high so you have gone back to the original setting.This could be a part of your starting problem,the proper way to adjust the fuel screw is to warm up the machine and adjust the fuel screw in until the engine rpm slows down the adjust it out until you reach the highest idle rpm without turning the throttle if you go too far rich the speed will slow down then adjust idle speed with the throttle stop adjuster.All this being said my CRF takes between 1 and 8 kicks to start when not started for a few days.Cheers

Dear Wingman,

I don't understand everything, for adjusting the fuel screw what do i have to do?

Correct me if i'm wrong:I let the bike warm then i adjust the fuel screw till the idle goes the higher possible and when the speed idle falls down i come back to the higher,is it this way.Another thing what is the throttle stop adjuster , is it the silver big screw on the carb where you adjust the idle speed?

If i what i said before is good i'm beginning to understand the way to jet properly.

Thanks for all your good advices and explanations.

Blackwolf