PTFE product for DRZ motors

hi, i have a drz250. . . is it ok to treat the engine with high concentration PTFE type engine coating product?

or is this going to mess up the clutch/transm. mechanism?

EC type oil effect or EC oil ok on these bikes. . . help.

j.rho

'03 DRZ250

jjrho@adelphia.net

i dont know what that is that you are mentioning but i would not put it into the engine unless it is a motorcycle specific motor oil. any friction modifier of any type will cause the clutch plates to slip which not only increases wear but also increases heat due to the added slippage friction. sitck to full synthetic motorcycle specific oil once the break in is done. if the engine is new, i would only recommend a petrolium based high quality oil like that offered by motul, or valvoline 4 stoke oils. the valvoline oil is only 2.50 a quart and works very well. i keep a couple extra quarts as back up cause it works well and is cheap enough to be used once and dumped. do a search for motor oil for WAY more information then any sane person could handle in thier life time.

Snake oil can not replace regular oil changes and quality oil. Call me old fashioned.

Don't use that stuff. You are correct - it will screw your clutch!

Check out this site, it may help in your decision making. www.ford-trucks.com/articles/oil-additives.php I found it interesting that the teflon (PTFE)is a solid and it doesnt change its state no matter how fine or microscopic the particles are and most of us have been taught that eliminating solid particles from the oil and engine is the best way to prolong your engine life. At any rate it is a good read and no matter what I put IN my bike it wont change what I put ON my bike!(namely me) :)

The key to long engine life; no matter what oil you use- change it regularly. As Hotler said, stay away from the snake oil stuff.

It's Teflon. Microscopicly it looks like little balls. I wouldnt put microscopic balls in my motor. In theory it works but I'd just change the oil every 3rd ride if not sooner.

Does anyone now what's in the lead substitute fuel additive products that is supposed to reduce valve wear? Is that also PTFE?

No you wouldn't? you just put them on your seat!! ha ha ha just kidding I couldn't resist :):D

Lead substitute fuel additive is for the most part lead.

Some (pre 85? )engines needed lead as a valve stem/guide lubricant.

Teflon has to high of a flash point to be used for any type of combustion. Heck the melting point is something like 600f.

Lead (Pb) substitutes are primarily made from heavier aliphatic (longer chain) hydrocarbons. They act like two-stroke mix oil to lubricate the valve & guides, cylinder but will also burn off. Tetraethyl lead as an ingredient in any additive-that can be used on DOT jurisdiction-was phased out due to the environmental Pb residues it leaves behind and the outright hazards it presented to those using products containing it. If your looking to use a Pb substitute; save yourself some money and mix your gas at 200:1 using two-stroke mix oil. However, in using either the Pb-substitute or mix oil, I'd suggest checking your plug more frequently for carbon fouling. Enough on chemistry - where's my bike!!!! :)

OK. thanks for the tip Briter. I was going to start using Pb sub this year cuz many people have said that using leaded fuel halts the valve recession. Not sure if Pb sub will do the same or if it will foul my plug, but I will try it and post the results.

I was told a few years ago that adding lead substitute to unleaded gas will increase the Octane rating substantially. Do you know if that's true?

If so it seems like a good way to make regular unleaded into "race" gas.

If not then, never mind.

No you wouldn't? you just put them on your seat!! ha ha ha just kidding I couldn't resist

HEHEHE I wish they were every time I smack em on the tank!!

If you're looking for higher octane - don't waste your money on Pb substitute. Octane is gained by the percentage of aromatic hydrocarbons in your fuel. Pb substitute, remember is primarily aliphatic hydrocarbons. If you want octane boost add xylene or toluene to your fuel. About a 100 milliliters (3 1/2 ounces) to your full tank should heat things up nicely. Don't go crazy, remember higher octane will also run hotter.

i always thought the higher the octane the cooler it burns......-jamie

Leave the teflon junk on the shelves as well as the rest of the motor oil additives. :)

i always thought the higher the octane the cooler it burns......-jamie

yes it does!unless its one of the new generation highly oxygenated race fuels.

You guys are mixing up the idea of a more efficient burn with the term hotter. Higher octane will burn more efficiently with more energy available to drive the piston down. As the piston works harder, more of the energy produced will be lost to heat - hotter run.