Sign in to follow this  

426 vs. 450 ??? Need to hear from the woods guys

Most of the woods riding down here in Florida is pretty fast even the single-track. There's not many hillsides to traverse through tree's and bolders. Ha! Ha! As far as the WR goes, to me that motorcycle shouldn't even have nobbies on it. That thing is no better than the DR-Z 400 with blinkers and a licence plate!!!. Sorry Suzuki guys. Those WR's are for guys who.......I better stop there. Anyway, thanks for the input and keep 'em commin. :)

Are you 450 guys running the stock peanut tank? The 4 speed and tank were the

two biggest detractors for me. What kind of mileage are you getting? For it to be

"raceable" in my neck of the woods, you need to do 40 miles minimum...

Merf

Yeh, I feel the same way. Us woods guys aren't on the track for 20 minutes and call it the day. Like you said, 40 miles minimum and at least 1 1/2 hours. Refueling sucks especially when someone is on your ass. That's the first thing I'm doing to mine when I get it, a bigger tank. As far as the 4 speed, oh well. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

I just had a hard time believing that Yamaha would make a bike of the 450 calibur and restrict it to MX only.

They didn't, hence the reason why there's the WR. The YZ line has never been a purpose built trail machine. The YZF doesn't have the tranny, flywheel, wheel, tank, lights or it's sources to light them. Granted a lot of people DO trail their YZ/YZF's it's still not a machine built for trails without some modifications or simply adjusting yourself to it's style. I ride a purpose built trail machine, my buddy - a purpose built MX machine. We both venture on the others turf, but we also acknowledge both bikes limits while on the other side of the fence. I want a YZ450F because I want to start hitting the tracks more often than I can now with my KTM250EXC. But I also acknowledge that if I desire to venture into the trees with it, I'm going to be limited on how long and how far I can go. The only thing that really scares me off the YZF is the 4-speed. Note this, other manufactures thought the 4-speed worked great on MX tracks but in the end they eventually went back to a 5-speed because of it's demand - people want a 5 speed!. I see the YZF doing the same for 2004. The only thing I worry about is will I have the patience to wait for it, or go CRF?

From what I've read and from the feel of the bike, 1st gear is about the same as 1st gear on the 426 and 4th gear is the same as the 426 with slightly lower gearing 14/52. A stock 426 should have a top speed in the upper 70s and the 450 is mid to lower 70s stock. 1st gear feels taller though due to much lighter flywheel inertia. Put a weight on for woods for sure. I have a 10oz Steahly and can chug down much better than stock, but chug too low and touch the rear brake too hard hard and its dead in the water. I have tried 15/48 and will run this for some of our much faster tracks in Texas' TCCRA events. It makes 1st too tall though for real tight sections. Dust, traffic and our straights rarely ever allows experts to go this fast. I raced a Toro that was very tight (Never saw 4th) and switched back to stock gearing. 1st was fine with the weight. We have a few tracks with desert like straights and I will run the 15/48 so I don't get blown by. I'm guessing the 450 should be good for about 80 with this gearing. Even with this gearing 1st isn't bad, unless you have real nasty sections that almost bring you to a stop. Hopefully we won't have nasty tracks that still have 80 mph sections. If we do, I'll sure miss the 5 speed, otherwise I really like the wide ratio 4 speed. I also hate pitting, but have to so far. I've heard you can buy a WR tank which surprises me. Can you get a tank for a bike just now being released? I'm waiting to see when IMS and Clarke will make one. I'm not sure the WRs 2.7 can go 55 miles (our limit in TCCRA). This is my first Yam 4-stroke though. What are ya'll getting in race conditions?

> They didn't, hence the reason why there's the WR. The YZ line has never been a purpose built trail machine.

I know I'll catch flak from the WR' guys, but for MY style and MY purpose, I can go faster in the

woods on a MX bike than a "purpose built" trail machine. For years, I rode bikes made for

offroad: KDX's and an EX/C In '94 I bought a YZ250. I've never looked back. Once you get used to

the taller gearing, there is no comparison, for MY purposes. I was bummed when the 450 was unveiled

as a 4 speed. Maybe, as someone stated, it'll be a 5 speed next year.

To me, a YZ woods weapon that I can take trackside, is the ultimate.

Merf

Hear, Hear... I agree!! If you take a fast woods rider off his WR, DR-Z, KDX, etc.. and put him on a bike like a YZF, CRF, CR, KX, RM whatever, 9 times out of 10 he will be a much faster rider. How many people have you heard of ( That gets paid to ride ) rides a bike that is 20-50 pounds heavier than it's " MX Brother "? Maybe 1 out of 10. I guess the 450 will have to be modified to satisfy every style of riding and terrain. Hell, that was the case for every bike I ever owned.

Click here

Thought this might help. A Ty Davis review only on the 4sp tranny and comparing to last year.Says 1st gear is identical as 426 and top speed is a little less, with stock gearing.

I love the 450 over the 426. The 450 does very well stock on HS type terrain becomes a bit tiring in the really nasty Enduro type trails. I've had the factory "fix" on the clutch and it is tiring on the clutch hand. I'm looking into a juice clutch to solve this problem. However, if you ride in front of people rather than behind them, you don't have to slow as much and less likely to stall. I ride and race HS, enduro, and MX over 40 and feel competitive on the 450 even when racing guys with many more years of experience racing.