Clutch question...maintenance/replacement

When I rebuilt my engine, the clutch plates were nearly new. The basket had some grooving. I did some research and it seems like you can get away with filing the basket once, probably with a decrease in life compared to a new basket.

It worked fine, but now it is starting to keep dragging, especially when warm, when at a stop with the clutch lever pulled in....it tries to creep. Adjusting the cable has only helped a little, it's time for some work.

My question is this: Is this symptom (creeping with the lever pulled in) an indication of a worn basket? It doesn't slip and I know I'll have to inspect the plates, but how likely is it that it's just the basket? I have to make out my Christmas list and money's tight this year!

Thanks!

When I rebuilt my engine, the clutch plates were nearly new. The basket had some grooving. I did some research and it seems like you can get away with filing the basket once, probably with a decrease in life compared to a new basket.

It worked fine, but now it is starting to keep dragging, especially when warm, when at a stop with the clutch lever pulled in....it tries to creep. Adjusting the cable has only helped a little, it's time for some work.

My question is this: Is this symptom (creeping with the lever pulled in) an indication of a worn basket? It doesn't slip and I know I'll have to inspect the plates, but how likely is it that it's just the basket? I have to make out my Christmas list and money's tight this year!

Thanks!

Wouldn't weak springs cause a slip instead of a creep?

How often do you change your oil? I'd start with that being the easiest, and then pop the cover and check how bad she's grooved. If your oil is fresh (if its not fresh, I'd change it, run it for a little bit, and change it again... and again) and you don't have grooves... I'd guess you have warped plates.

Thanks guys. I do keep the oil changed. I, too, think weak springs would cause it to slip. Guess I'll throw in a new basket and inspect the plates while I'm in there. If they're out of spec, I'll get new then.

I did do a search and I strongly suspect that the basket's grooved and in need of being replaced.

I would bet your inner hub is grooved which would cause the problem you describe. You need to take the clutch apart and see what needs replacing. I would say you're looking at a new basket, inner hub, frictions, steels, and springs. You should also look at the pressure plate for signs of wear where the friction rubs against it. It might need to be replaced as well.

Yep, you are right fellas. I just reread my post and I have it backwards. Guess I read it wrong. That or the five rum and cokes had something to do with that. Guess that's what I get for drunk typing. Sorry for any confusion Willerides.