Speedo drive for 17" on a DRZ?

Does anyone know if a speedo drive off a GS500 or GS450 would work on my DRZ with the 17" rim?

The speedo drive for the 21" front obviously isn't working as it says I'm going approx 40mpg when I'm actually doing about 25 mph or so.

I'd really like to find a speedo drive that will give me more accurate mph and mileage. If not a GS drive, any other suggestions?

Thx!!

I've been to many motorcycle wreckers to find compatible speedo drives, but nothing suitable.

One wrecker had a box with about 50 speedo drives in it and not one would fit.

I then started looking at speedo units thinking that i could somehow modify it to work with a speedo drive off a 21" wheel but that's as far as i got. Maybe theres a speedo that can be "slowed down" to work with the standard drive???

Mike. ?

• 5 years later...

Buy the speedo drive for the SM. I bought one shortly after converting my S and it corrected my speedo issues (well, as correct as they are from the factory anyway).

EDIT: Wow, just noticed how old this thread was. Did not realize it was a revived thread.

Bryan, is your question regarding correcting your speedometer calibration? The hubs are the same between the S and the SM. The speedo drive gear on the front axle is where the difference is.