Sign in to follow this  

hot rods crankshaft kit vs. wiseco crankshaft kit

I'll get shit for saying my opinion but here we go and I know this post is old, two harescrambles ago my OEM crank let go, with budget and shipping time in factor I went with a hot rods complete kit after I received a pm from another member about his experience with a hotrods kit, I had never heard of a failure like a wiseco with a hot rods crank, I searched very long, I have the hotrods crank in my cr125 with only about 7.5 hours give or take and I can say the bike doesn't have as much vibration as the OEM did, I have noticed a slight gain in power off the idle and better power all around (not more power, smoother, just feels better), the installation was easy, and in fact I compared the OEM next to the hotrods and the crankshaft on the hotrods was slightly thicker, guessing that's a good thing. I didn't even think about putting a wiseco kit in my bike, I'd use their top end kits but too many horror stories with the bottom ends, in fact, my dad has a friend that has worked for wiseco for 25+ years and told us to run a hotrods and OEM kit over the wiseco based on all the complaints they receive.

Edited by ScrewMx_Hd
  • Like 2

I don't know what Honda does as far as balancing and truing but Hot Rods have always run very smooth in the motors I've put them in. The 125 ran so smooth I couldn't tell it was running.

Thanks for the info sir. Experience is the best teacher as they said.

I'll get shit for saying my opinion but here we go and I know this post is old, two harescrambles ago my OEM crank let go, with budget and shipping time in factor I went with a hot rods complete kit after I received a pm from another member about his experience with a hotrods kit, I had never heard of a failure like a wiseco with a hot rods crank, I searched very long, I have the hotrods crank in my cr125 with only about 7.5 hours give or take and I can say the bike doesn't have as much vibration as the OEM did, I have noticed a slight gain in power off the idle and better power all around (not more power, smoother, just feels better), the installation was easy, and in fact I compared the OEM next to the hotrods and the crankshaft on the hotrods was slightly thicker, guessing that's a good thing. I didn't even think about putting a wiseco kit in my bike, I'd use their top end kits but too many horror stories with the bottom ends, in fact, my dad has a friend that has worked for wiseco for 25+ years and told us to run a hotrods and OEM kit over the wiseco based on all the complaints they receive.

This post does not contain inflammatory language towards the brand KTM or someone who owns that brand. Therefore, it is unlikely you'll receive shit for this post. :prof:

Sorry Bro, It was my first time to have 2 stroke Cr250r. 

just looking aroung if someone can share and give me some ideas.

No problem!  It's just that the question would be better served for future use if it wasn't piggybacked off another post.  

• Like 1

I always use oem internals.. when available...wiseco cranks are JUNK!!  whatever crank you choose will need to be checked for run-out or true, with a dial indicator..no more than 2 thousands of run-out, or bearings wont last.. been building engines for over 30 years and my advise to you would be- pro-x rod kit -or complete OEM crank.. at least use OEM crank bearings & crank seals... good luck

I've had 2 hot rods cranks in my boy's 107. I rode it for 3 years and beat the crap out of it. When I took it apart, I only had to do the bottom end rebuild because the last guy in the motor screwed up and didn't torque down the primary gear nut. The bike still rips.

IMO the older posts about bearings going is a moot point, since hot rods (just like ALL manufacturers, including OEM) doesn't make their own. That's one thing I don't trust, unless I can see what I want to see stamped on the bearing. I purchased a set of good main bearings with my build, even though the HR kit came with them.

No way I'd EVER put a Wiseco crank in. I've seen some pretty nasty stuff happen with that junk.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 4

I got a hod rods in mine but think im gonna switch to oem because the hotrods seems to vibrate quite a bit

On 11/19/2016 at 9:52 PM, ScrewMx_Hd said:

Thanks for that review bro I just received my hot rod crank for my 2000 cr250 and was worried about it after reading bad reviews but that made me feel better lol

• Like 1