winter workouts to stay in shape

Of course ridding the DRZ is going to be the most fun workout you can have but I don't get the opportunity as much in the winter.

I was at Sears and saw this excersize machine called a Crossbow.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/details/productdetails.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1019120163.1043326217@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadchgfhkgedcehgcemgdffmdflk.0&vertical=SEARS&prod_id=00615395000&fromAuto=null&bidsite=null

It looks similar to the bowflex but is considerbly less. It is on sale for $499 and the cheapest Bowflex is $899 without the leg attachment. I have done several searches and there is limited info on this new Weider product. Just wondering what you guys thought of it?

My house has crawl space so it is not a good Idea to overload the floor with solid weight plates. The way they build houses nowdays everything is sawdust and glue.

Anyway, just looking for some input?

I have a certificate for personal fitness trainer from the American Council on Exercise and here is what I tell people.

Go to your or a local community recreation center. Most have well rounded weight rooms, no or little membership fees or monthly payments. Most offer punch cards for lots of visits at discounts below drop in cost. I use my rec center over here in Englewood for about $2.00 per visit and it comes with a clean towel. :). Most people give up on home workouts unless they have a trainer come by and push them. Then the machine or weights get put away, moved around a dozen times and then end up out in the garage sale. You also don't have to put up with the pretty people or the Spandix crowd at your local rec center. Stay away from the muscle mags, they teach all the wrong ways to train. When you get ready to train touch base with me and I tell you how to get results and not hurt yourself and not spend all your time training. High Intensity strength training is the way to go baby. More info check out www.cyberpump.com

I am in no position to give someone a proper work-out regimine, but I can say "stretching" daily goes a long way. It requires no equipment, and very little room. Being limber or flexible can help illiminate alot of pull and tear type injuries (common for riders), as well as just make you feel whole lot better.

Winter workouts to stay in shape......

Shovel the snow from the end your driveway just before the snowplow comes past again on the main-road, then as he comes past and fills it in again give him the big old single digit wave. That way when he makes his next pass you can be guaranteed LOTS of your neighbors snowbank to shovel too :):D

Is it spring yet???

We have a nice weight machine and treadmill but, like most people, I got bored with them and now they are dust collectors. I don't like working out indoors and feel like a hamster on that treadmill. For me, running provides the best results and makes the biggest difference in my riding and skiing.

I would vote for the gym also. If you can afford it it is the way to go. Home excersize equipment has a way of collecting dust. My logic is if I am paying membership dues I had better get myself in there.

My local gym "Omni Fitness" has free daycare for the kids. that is a really big incentive to go. I can get away from the kid for a hour or so and have some time to myself.

I probably dont have the best workout routing. I pretty much do whatever feels right. But for the most part it works. And I feel much better for having joined.

I tend to do more cardio than weight training. But I really dont want to be all that big. I just want to survive the days ride. I dont get much excersize driving a desk from 9-5.

Yeah, I bought a bowflex and it has been a clothes hanger for the past couple years. I prefer to ride my mountain bike that workout indoors. I just building a garage/shop and plan on moving it out there. I think that will help being able to open up the doors and be outside!

Don't waste your money, just lift 12oz of you favorite aluminum dumbell and repeat until empty.

real men do 40oz curls

Home fitness equipment isnt worth it. In my winter workout, I do pushups, situps, pullups, chinups, and run a flight of 87 stairs ten times. I do this 3 times a week rain or shine. And make a trip to the gym once a week for a leg workout. It does more than enough to keep me in shape until I can start putting miles in on my bicycle come spring time.

Well guys I ride a snowmobile. Doesn't sound like too much work, does it? Well if you consider the following facts, it is a little tougher than riding gleefully through the woods:

1) We don't have reverse. When I say we, I mean my wife and I. So when we get to the dead end of an area we should not be riding, I get to drag TWO sleds out and spin them around.

2) We don't have electric start. Try yanking your sled over a few times, each time after the wife wants to stop and go pee. Remember, there are two sleds for me to start, and her bladder is the size of an acorn.

3) My friends are too cheap to buy trailers. This means that I get to help them load and unload a 500 pound sled in and out of the truck, usually three or four times per ride.

4) My friends usually don't have the foresight to plan ahead. This results in miscellaneous impromptu trailside activities, such as belt changing, track tightening, spark plug changes, etc. What's the big deal you say? Well it is 5 degrees and I am dressed up like the Michelin Man. It is hard to walk, let alone dick around with someone else's machine.

5) Come February, I won't be able to drive the truck to our cabin. See, our cabin is on the side of a small little mountain, and theres like 6 feet of snow. This means get on the Michelin Man outfit, drop the sleds somewhere where they plowed the snow, and start shuttling your [censored] to the cabin. Of course all while the wife sits in the truck with the dog and cat, fluffing up her hair and taking care of that chipped nail.

6) Then of course there's the riding itself, which I cannot control myself to go five MPH over the bumps. I like to duct tape the throttle open, and go till I see a stop sign. That is abusive, but fun as hell. Legs get a great workout.

7) In reference to FESpenda, the day usually ends in a few 12 ounce curls.

8) Don't forget the workout I get for being such a nice guy to my wife all day. Sometimes she's tough on me.

My gym is 5 min from work. I do 45 minutes daily of cardio, weights, swimming, or a mix of those. Then I spend 5 minutes soaking in the spa, take a cold shower and go back to work...AHHHHH really brakes up the day, and lets me save the evenings for my family. :)

I'm with FastMike...

Pushups, chinups (underhand, overhand and overhand behind the neck), skip rope 1000 reps @ 250 per set, crunches with a yoga ball and medicine ball, spin class and a little mountain biking when it's not to cold.

Although today in ATL we reached a balmy high of about 18degrees with ice and snow. fun.

Hollywood

In California, winter is the riding season. It was 75 today and sunny with no wind!

Shoveling snow works for me along with taking rips on the old snowshoes. Keeps the arms and legs ready for spring. How do you guys stand the heat?

Having a bowel movement every morning keeps me in shape.

Don't be afraid of the weights. The average person can not develope muscle like the genetic freaks on TV or in the magazines. They can increase their strength 200%. One pound of muscle is about half the size (a little bit bigger than a baseball)of one pound of fat. So, if you can swap twenty pounds of fat for twenty pounds of muscle you will wear a smaller size pant and still weigh the same and be stronger at the same time. Also, it takes more calories to keep a pound of muscle alive than a pound of fat. If you weigh 200lbs. at 10% body fat you have to eat more than if you weighed 200lbs. at 25% body fat, who doesn't like to eat more food? Here's another fact, the stronger you get the less you have to work out if your workouts are being done correctly. No one should be in the weight room more than three time a weeks no more than 45 minutes at a time. Want to no more, just axe me, I love to help people get their workouts right. :)

I lift weights a couple times a week at home and I also take Muay Thai Kickboxing 2-3 times a week. The KB really works flexibility, cardio, reflexes, and all other a@@kicking skills. Plus it's a helluva lot more fun than just lifting weights. :)