Case... Can it be fixed?

As I explained earlier, to weld your case to will have to disassemble them......Which is fine if you have the money to do that...Being that I have worked in M/C shops for 15 years and have owned my own shop for ten and now being the owner of a welding shop that specializes in Aluminum welding and the repair of many cases, I suggested the epoxy sealer

to save you some money (since I have had good success with JB Weld) You will have to decide from this point which way to repair it......

For some reason my camera will not focus when I try and take a pic that close. The seal that is in there is the old one, I have a new one that I haven't put in yet. Do you think it can be welded without pulling the motor, seems like it could be? Thanks

Are you not paying attn: It takes 2000 degrees to melt aluminum......

If you think the counter shaft bearing will deal with 2000 degrees

then have a welder weld it :bonk:

( Now you know why it is VERY IMPORTANT to keep your chain adjusted and serviced)

Are you not paying attn: It takes 2000 degrees to melt aluminum......

If you think the counter shaft bearing will deal with 2000 degrees

then have a welder weld it :bonk:

Actually, aluminum melts at 1218 F. The counter shaft bearing would never rise to anywhere near that temperature using a TIG welder. Whether the crack can or should be repaired in place depends a great deal on exactly where and how severe it is, and a competent welder would be able to make that determination. Still, it generally makes a far better repair to disassemble the engine.

1220.58 to be exact .....the 2000 degrees just came out in frustration...

I have repaired these cases before both assembled and apart...Believe me

if it is a crack to an oil galley cleaning it won't keep the oil from getting into the

weld and making a mess.....

caserepair.jpg?t=1228163274

I welded these cases in the frame.....BUT You could clean ALL the OIL out ......

• Like 1

Got lucky. He was able to weld it up with only a minor issue. There's a oil passage right there (case is about a 1/16 inch thick there) and a piece of the case fell into it when he was cleaning it up. Pulled the oil seal and it was sitting between the bearing and the seal. He was able to clean out the passage pretty good and get it welded, a little thicker this time.