Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild your own rear shock?

Has anyone done it? Im quite a competent mechanic but I've never gone past rebuilding front forks.

You need some specialized equipment. Notably you will need nitrogen and a filler to refill the shock. It is not undoable, but it is more difficult and requires more special tools than many repair jobs.

what sort of special tools?

refilling it with nitrogen isnt a problem as there is an outlet on the front of the shock

I would call up either RaceTech or Hygear Suspension, im sure either of them has the seal kit and rebuild kits. As far as installation goes, they just pop out and back in after you take the rod out.

righty, seals on its way

can anyone tell me then,

1 - any problems im likely to encounter?

2 - how much of what oil and pressure of nitrogen?

and yes if i get this done ill take pictures and make a bloody faq. there is a distinct lack of information on any rear shock stripping

answers moto ANSWERS!!! :smirk:

1. not sure what problems you could encounter but according to murphy's law... :thumbsup:

2. psi. - 140 to 160

oil - 10w and it's to be full, no air in bladder... or so i've read, hope this helps

answers moto ANSWERS!!! :smirk:

1. not sure what problems you could encounter but according to murphy's law... :thumbsup:

2. psi. - 140 to 160

oil - 10w and it's to be full, no air in bladder... or so i've read, hope this helps

Exactly, if you have too much oil, the rod wont go in all the way, just check befire you charge it. Otherwise its that easy.

I would like to help but.....

1. What kind of bike do you have??

2. What year??

I know it's obvious to you, but the rest of the world has no clue.

This will give you an idea of what you need to do:

http://idriders.com/proflex/files/shock%20service.pdf

Thank you very much for the link, I've been trying to get a used DRZ shock to mount on my DR but keep getting out bid on Ebay... :smirk: I was thinking that if I keep getting outbid I'll rebuild the shock that's on it for the spring and wait till I win a DRZ shock. Which, with this PDF I'll rebuild :thumbsup:

I won a DRZ shock but when I found it had a 5.5kg/mm spring and I needed a 7.6kg/mm one I sold it on.

Still regret it a bit :thumbsup:

I won a DRZ shock but when I found it had a 5.5kg/mm spring and I needed a 7.6kg/mm one I sold it on.

Still regret it a bit :thumbsup:

3 questions:

1) do all DRZ shocks come sprung like that?

2) what's the spring rate on a stock DR?

3) how much do you weigh?

I'm wondering if I can use a DRZ shock??

If it is the same as the US models, the shock uses "10w" oil. You can see the specs for your bike on the Race Tech site. (Race Tech "US2" oil = 10W)

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/Srchpr.asp?bikeid=1317&manufacture=Suzuki&model=DR650S&year=1993&TABLEINFO=dirt&langname=english

Shock / fork oil comparison chart:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/files/suspension%20oils.pdf

righty, ive got a full bottle of 15w oil here, any negative effects to putting this in besides firm up the arse end a bit (something that needs doing anyway?)

can you take me through how i fill the oil atall? obviously on front forks its the last thing before you put the cap on, but on rears....?