Sign in to follow this  

My Tech 7's are painful - anyone else ?

I've ridden a lot of boots over 30 years, and they've all been comfortable enough after break in to wear for a full weekend in the desert, until I bought the Tech 7's.

I tried many different boots and spent some time walking in the stores. The 7's were very comfortable, although in every pair I tried on there was a small pressure spot on the inside of both feet just under the ball of the ankle. I figured they would break in and not be an issue, but now after about 10 hours on them, they've broken me. Each session, after a couple hours of them being on, they wear a hole in my skin that drives me frickin crazy, and I can't wait to get them off. Even putting gauze and tape over those spots of my feet this weekend didn't help.

I've gone to the shop and checked other boots, and every pair is just like mine. There is a spot where 3 stitches cross over each other and it sticks out a bit. Other than wrapping my ankle in an ace, I don't see much I could do about it.

Anyone else have 7's do this ? did you do anything to fix them ? I'd like to keep them if I can fix this, everything else about the boots is good.

I have tech 7s and they have been pretty comfortable, the only thing I have against them is that they dont seem to have as much flexibility as some other boots. I have had them for about 10 months now. Good luck maybe some Dr. Scholls or some kind of foot pad would help:excuseme:

I have Tech 7's and they are the best boot I have owned period. For me the toe box these boots have make them much more comfortable than other boots I have owned.

Yeah, I have the same problem and what I do is buckle them up immediately after I'm done riding then shove a large softball down to the ankle area and leave them that way in my gear bag.

When they were new, I also placed a neatsfoot oil soaked rag around the ankle and then shoved the ball in but now all I need is the softball to stay painfree.

Yeah, I have the same problem and what I do is buckle them up immediately after I'm done riding then shove a large softball down to the ankle area and leave them that way in my gear bag.

When they were new, I also placed a neatsfoot oil soaked rag around the ankle and then shoved the ball in but now all I need is the softball to stay painfree.

Thanks for that idea. Do you feel that you lost any ankle stability by widening the heel area with the softball ?

And I agree with the other comments, with the exception of that one spot, they are extremely comfortable everywhere else.

You mentioned "heel area" - I think you meant to say ankle area and yes the leather is softer because of the neatsfoot oil than it would be otherwise. But... the remainder of the boots are very stiff (as you pointed out) so I don't feel I've sacrificed safety or stability - they're still plenty stiff, even in the ankle.