Sign in to follow this  

2004 CRF250 new to me - what to check ?

So I bought this bike used 2 years ago from Three Bros racing, on a whim after my son's CR85 seized in the garage and we were leaving for a weekend trip that night. Had I known of the valve issues prior, I probably wouldn't have got the Honda....hindsight.

The bike has only been ridden about 10 hours since then, and by a beginner rider in the desert. I decided to take it out this weekend instead of the big bike, and long story short, I love this bike - so light, turns great, enough power, very fun. I'll be spending some time on this bike from now on.

Here's my dilemna - I really don't know the history of the bike. It was very clean when I bought it, with a good pipe, triple-clamps, and new chain/sprockets, other than that looks stock and low hours. Now that I've heard all of the valve stories, I'm paranoid to ride the damn thing thinking it may grenade and cost $2k to fix.

What would you do to check it out ? I'm planning to open it up and check the valves, but anything else I should look closely at for that year ?

• Like 1

nope.. keep the oil and airfilter clean.. check the valve clearance's and ride it.. and it doesnt cost 2k to replace the valves.. only time it gets expensive is if the bottom end comes apart, piston comes apart, or the cam chain comes apart or cam sprocket spins, which all of the above isnt likely to happen if u maintain it and dont ride it on the constant rev limiter and it can happen like all other colors... yea its not cheap for a rebuild

my 05 went 120 race hrs before i had to rebuild the top end and currently has about 200+ on the bottom end with planned rebuild this winter..

nope thats about it. i have a 04 and love it. i had to replace the valves but they have not come out of spec since. just once they start to come out of adjustment it becomes a continuos thing. so my advise is after doing it three or four times just put new valves and springs in.

thanks guys, just needed a little reassurance that I can ride this thing once a month with normal maintenance and not feel like I'm walking through mine fields. I guess the valves will tell me more once I open her up.....

if it really makes u nervous there are aftermarket steel valves such as Ron Hamps you can use to replace your oems with and they last a while longer..

actually, this one does burn a little oil, on the engine side only though, none on the tranny side. It seems to puff a little smoke when cold, then stops when warm. It burns about an ounce per 2 hour session I think.

That is about what mine burns. After 2 yrs it finally need a valve adjust. Just last week we check the valves again and need to do them one more time. Just change the oil and you will be fine. I plan on upgrading the valves after one more adjust.

How do I no wot model my crf250 is an can sum one tell me wot the littel hole is by the kick start the drips oli out