Crazy parents in the 50/65/85cc classes? Anyone deal with these?

I raced 65s/85s and dealt with people like this the entire time...

They took out all of the fun we (the kid racers) were having.

I can remember a specific few who would run around the track screaming from the sideline as their kids came past.

As bad as it sounds, I think my dad was one of the worst, and the reason I quit racing.

He would stand behind / beside me at the gate telling me I had to get the best start or I would lose literally until the gate dropped.

After each race, I was happy/pumped to finish in the top 5 out of the probably 25-30 other racers. I usually ended up in second or third place, I was one of the better riders in my class, but unless I got 1st he could give me a 20 minute explanation of what I did wrong. Even when I got 1st I got the same talk of what could have been done better.

Now, theres a difference between 'helping' with advice and just flat out explaining what you did wrong..hah.

I remember the last race I went to with my dad (rest were with my mom, parents divorces) It was my first race on an 85. Last lap, last turn, I tried passing a guy so I could get into 3rd place overall, I held on the gas up over the finish jump and completely overshop the landing. I landed, cartwield and slid off the track.

I ran out, picked up my bike, pulled it off the track and kind of blacked out, medics took me off and I found out that I popped/broke 2 veins in my elbows but it didn't break the skin, so the areas got filled with giant blood pockets that had to be popped later, I also had a hairline fracture in my arm.

Anyway, medics helped me get me / my bike back to our car and my dad was nowhere to be found. I ended up trying to load my bike up when he came back and was mad I crashed my new bike.

I haven't been to a race with my dad since. I only raced with my mom then, she didn't care what I got as long as I had fun.

Anyone ever have to deal with insane parents like these? Or know someone who has?

I went to a junior 50cc race 2 weeks ago, and there was like a 5-6 yr old... he came in like 2nd place, and his mom and dad went up to the winners parents and started yelling at them because the winner was like 8 years old and his parents said it was unfair... the 5-6 year old started crying, and his mom and dad started yelling at him to toughen up... me and my dad went up to them, and dad cussed them out and told them to quit being a-holes just cuz they have control problems...

It was awesome!!

It is about the same in hockey, a few crazy parents. As a house league (the lowest level in hockey) coach I saw and experienced the blunt of this. I would continually get parents that think there kids are going to make to the NHL! It got very tiresome I actually put a few parents, that were doing this yelling in my spot and they started to shut up.

I was at the track watching a little 50cc class and some guy was standing at the finish line yelling at his kid and waving his arms every time the kid passed. and as soon as the boy would leave the dad would shake his head and mumble something to himself. Poor kid...

??

I see pro MX racers get yelled at by coaches and trainers all the time with waiving arms, pumped fists, pit boards that say "go faster" "push it"

granted there is a fine line there because you are dealing with kids not adults, but you still have to incourage them, motivate them, and support them, and at the end of the day if the kid or the dad OR mom is not happy, they should quit racing, if the kid and the parent (s) have a smile on there face all is good.

nothing wrong with a little motivation ?

i do also remember those days... but id be so pissed at myself for not winning, or getting the holeshot, my parents were mad too. but my father would never pack my gate and that pissed me off so much so i just ignored him when i started and fineshed, he doesnt go to all the races nowadays but he doesnt tell me what to do anymore, its up to me to make the decsions. he still makes me ride everyday and practice..but is alot more leaniant now. my friends parents help me out a whole lot too, and get me out of trouble and getting me and friends arrested at the track lol(longggg story)

i ride on the mini track JUST to piss off the dads when i pass them. its sweet. only if theyre fast, though. if theyre not my speed/faster, its downright dangerous.

ahah ur the type i would throw rocks at cuz u think ur cool ripping aorund wit little kids.....goon:moon:

You see it at every race. My son raced 50cc last year and my last comment to him in the gate before every race was always "have a good ride and be safe". He's not very fast but my boy LOVES motorcycles and racing. It's not not up to me what he chooses to do with racing. I mean I'm not trying to build a professional here (if that ends up being what he wants then that will be up to him); it's my job to teach him the skills in whatever he likes to do, provide a safe environment, and let him have fun...it's called growing up. I'll be proud of him in what ever he chooses and likes to do as long as he's honest and hard working. Just my .02

I like to think that I didn't care about the boys winning, but it would certainly be interesting to hear what they have to say. The boys were and are fast, riding at the Pro level for years, and generally finish in one of the top 5 spots overall (offroad events, not motocross), so never had much need for having conversations about winning.

When I coached soccer, I had a couple of parents who tried to yell at their kids while playing, but I helped them understand that on the field, the kids were mine, and we don't yell. I never even let the kids talk about the score during the game. The goal was just to have fun. Ironically, the last three seasons I coached, the team went undefeated, all without yelling, demeaning, demoralizing or generally being a nasty guy. The kids had fun, and always gave 100%.

Never understood fathers (or mothers) who thought that type of behavior was acceptable or encouraging to their kid.

Well I am a race parent. I never raced when I was young. My parents wouldnt let me have a bike. So when I did finialy start racing I was 30 and well past my prime.

Now my 12 yr old son is racing the 85 class. I really try not to be one of those parents. And I like to think I am pretty sucessfull at it. I dont bother him when he is on the track. He dont notice me anyways unless I am standing in front of him. Once the gate drops he is on his own.

But I do like to help him out with constructive criticism weather he likes it or not. My 1st goal for him is to stay safe then to have fun. But He is way too competive for just that. I know he wants to win and he knows it too. He may say he is happy with 3rd place but we both know better. So I try to give him what advice I can.

Often times I see things from the sidelines that he dosn't. Even though he thinks he is doing something right he isn't. Its just part of the growing up process I guess. Because eventualy he starts to see things my way and realize that huh dad does know something.

Our lattest hurdle is his fitness level. He is running out of steam on the track and he refuses to acknowledge it. Ive told I will excersize with him but I wont force him to do it. It has to be something that he wants to do. So far no go and his results show it.

But yea I do know the "RACE PARENTS" you talk about. I had one get all in my face last race this year and threatened to kick my ass. I just blew him off and walked away....lol Its all for fun. Some of these people have forgoten that.

For me as a parent its tough to see my kid frustrated with his results and not knowing what to do to improve them. And being the thick headed kid he is he usualy dosn't listen to me at first when I try and help. I just gotta be patient and keep at it. Eventualy it all works out.

I also have to throw this out there. I threw a lot of $ into his racing this last year. I am just a normal 8-5 working stiff. To see him joy riding around the track on my hard earned dollar dont cut it. We can do diff kinds of riding that dont cost me nearly as much if thats how the game is going to be played.

I'm just happy when my kids finish the race in one piece!

Ya know and so am I dont get me wrong....And if thats all my son wanted to do I would be cool with that. But when I see him coming off the track in tears all pissed off with 3rd place.....regardless of what he may say to me about being fine with his finishes....I know better.

In 07 he took 1st overall in the trail class on his CRF100 on the kids track. This year he is getting it handed to him on the big track in the 85 class. That has to be a hard pill for him to swallow.

Yes, Thursdays when i go to bithlo this kid on an 85 (who is a very very fast rider, might i add) gets shouted at by his dad constantly. He'll be pinning it around the track and going the fastest out there, his dad will tell him to pull over then he grabs his hand pulls it of the throttle and says "STOP F***KING* doing this!! and starts to rev the throttle constantly. Then he'll continue to say your riding like S*** WT* do you think your doing! Also if the kid doesn't jump a jump because someone is in the way of the landing and it would cause an accident the father goes nuts. He'll throw his jacket on the floor and go absolutely crazy. Most people there are all looking at him like wow what a douche, they also try and roost him when they riding. I always feel so sorry for this kid when im there because he really is an excellent rider, and if he does one thing slightly wrong like come out of a turn in 3rd pinned and not 4th he gets shouted it and abused. I spoke to him about it and he said it makes him angry thus making him a better rider, Sad to see that it came to that I really hope that kid turns Pro and leaves his dad behind.

I see pro MX racers get yelled at by coaches and trainers all the time with waiving arms, pumped fists, pit boards that say "go faster" "push it"

granted there is a fine line there because you are dealing with kids not adults, but you still have to incourage them, motivate them, and support them, and at the end of the day if the kid or the dad OR mom is not happy, they should quit racing, if the kid and the parent (s) have a smile on there face all is good.

nothing wrong with a little motivation ?

The pros are paid to race and win races. The coaches are paid to make that rider win. Its part of the game. Im amateur classes. Especially little kids, its totally not necessary. It just will make the kids learn bad habits in the long run.

I haven't seen it in riding but I've seen it in other sports.

The thing is that it doesn't really work. The kids who are pushed too hard, too young, will be good for a little while when they are younger. But as they get older they start to hate the sport, hate the parents, and then the quit the sport.

A gentle nudge never hurt anyone, but pushing is bad. As a parent you have to find the fine line and walk it without stepping over.