putting on graphics?

Never put a graphic kit on before i was wondering what is the best method to do it. I have heard of a couple.

Heat up the graphics a little to soften them up so they bend around curves and than a light mist and stick them on and squeege the water out.

Using soapy water to stick them on so you can slide them once there on

Which would you suggest i have the H and H kit

Never put a graphic kit on before i was wondering what is the best method to do it. I have heard of a couple.

Heat up the graphics a little to soften them up so they bend around curves and than a light mist and stick them on and squeege the water out.

Using soapy water to stick them on so you can slide them once there on

Which would you suggest i have the H and H kit

When I do graphics I line the graphics up with the back still on to see how they fit. Then I spray windex on and put the whole graphic on, it should slide a little. The get it out with your finger or a credit card or something. Also use a hair dryer when doing this, it helps a lot. It's 100 times easier to have a buddy do the hairdryer for you. Shrouds are fairly easy, the pre-print number plates are a pain ?

of the four bikes ive owned, i have put graphics on 3 of them. i usually just use a buddy holdinga hair dryer so they get really flexible, but i leave everything dry during the process.

The first time I did it dry, the last 3 times I've done it with Windex and its been much easier.

clean grease free plastic, windex,heat whether it be a blow dryer or sc sun in the summer, and patience(lots of that). and on crf's don't think you'll ever get the muffler side plate right. if you do make your own video, and post it. good luck.

I recently changed how I do graphics... I now leave the plastic ON the bike; the bike acts as the third hand.

Use:

Heat gun (not hair dryer)

Windex

clean the surface well

remove the graphic from the backing and heat a bit

liberally apply Windex to the plastic

find a starting point for the graphic; I use holes or lines where other graphics may butt against

continually warm the graphic so that it's flexible and easy to move about. You may find yourself lifting up the whole piece when it's not right - that's fine, it happens.

Just work slow and keep it wet. When/if you find bubbles way out in the middle, pull the material up and work the bubble out - no biggie.

Good luck.

i would not use the water with the number plates, it just does not work, take my word for it, but it would work good on the shrouds, i used the soap water techenque on my # plates and it came out horrible because the bends were so sharp on the plate it would not stick. i ended up cutting all the wrinkles out then spray painted the part where i cut

+1 on the windex and hairdryer. on the number plates, warm the graphics up and stick the front side on first with the hole centered around the bolt. place the palm of your hand over that spot to hold then stretch the middle of the graphic with the other hand and slowly apply to plastic.

The curve of the plastic will make a wrinkle on top or bottom if you don't stretch the middle.

I just installed a graphics set on brand new plastics for my 2006 YZ450F. Starting with new plastic certainly made this task easier as there really wasn't any cleaning to be done. I used the following:

N-Style Graphics Kit - Nice, thick vinyl

Acetone - Final wipe down of the plastics before adding graphics

Windex - Just a few quick sprays on the plastic and the back of the graphic

Hair Dryer - Plenty hot as far as I could tell and made the graphics simply wrap around the plastic

Rubber Squegee - Smooths the graphics and pushes out the Windex

Patience- Take your time and everything will work out fine.

Everything actually turned out much better than I expected. Graphics went on well and when I needed to reposition the Windex did its job. I did use the hairdryer to "Pre Heat" the prahics before aplying thek. Seemed to make them much more plyable and much easier to work with. Some areas were a little tough with the curves but a little more heat and it worked out great! I'm letting the graphics set overnight before a final cleaning so here are some pics off the bike!

DSCF2113.jpg

DSCF2116.jpg

DSCF2117.jpg

DSCF2115.jpg

• 1 month later...