Baja Designs vs. Trick Dual Sport

Wow, you could eat off that bike. No experience with either kit, I'm curious myself but wow is that bike shiny.

It had JUST come off the showroom floor and into my garage - that's why its so clean. It's 20 degrees F here so it's still that clean - unfortunately. Can't wait till spring !!

I picked up a leftover like you (2006 E) and went with the Baja Designs kit. It works great and is truly plug-n-play.

I was shocked by the prices on these kits for what you get; therefore, since I'm handy, I initially thought about making my own. I priced it out and it would have been ~$200 in parts. However, in the end, I decided the time saved by not having to start from scratch was worth the extra $250 = more time to ride. By the time you find the parts you want, place your order, and wire it up, you're easily looking at 8 hours.

I've bought and installed four Trick Dual Sport Kits and they have worked great. No problems with anything not working after three years of use and many falls on the trail. I'd buy another one.

I've never bought a Baja Designs Kit but have seen many that don't work after a few hundred miles of use but that was several years ago so things might have changed.

Baja Designs has some amazing headlights though.

Delecoy -

What is the free power mod - i searched the forum and found some references to it but nothing on the mod itself.

Thanks all for responding - still looking for better pics of the trick setup.

Rode around a bit but wat too cold for real fun - ground is frozen - ouch !

Does anyone know if a GPS legal for a speedometer ?

I've got the trick setup and its real clean. The pics on the web site pretty much show the module, which is the same for all bikes. Look at the Yamaha or Honda shots of the module that is attached to the number plate behind the light. As you can see, the only real issue is with interference with the odometer, which you should replace with a digital one. One thing that sold me on the trick was the outlet for your GPS, and the clean integrated circuit board module. Its about 1" thick or less, and about 4" by 5". Good stuff, but more spendy than the baja designs. Also, the owner is great to work with, and helped me get a higher output lighting assembly that actually has enough output for highway driving at night. Baja designs has some great lights as well, but they are real spendy. The real score would be to find a light off a 400S model used.

I've got the trick setup and its real clean. The pics on the web site pretty much show the module, which is the same for all bikes. Look at the Yamaha or Honda shots of the module that is attached to the number plate behind the light. As you can see, the only real issue is with interference with the odometer, which you should replace with a digital one. One thing that sold me on the trick was the outlet for your GPS, and the clean integrated circuit board module. Its about 1" thick or less, and about 4" by 5". Good stuff, but more spendy than the baja designs. Also, the owner is great to work with, and helped me get a higher output lighting assembly that actually has enough output for highway driving at night. Baja designs has some great lights as well, but they are real spendy. The real score would be to find a light off a 400S model used.

Check the TT classifieds, last time I looked there was a 400S headlight/front shroud, etc. for sale by a member.

Check the TT classifieds, last time I looked there was a 400S headlight/front shroud, etc. for sale by a member.

Stupid question, but if you were to go the route of swapping the stock E harness for an S or SM harness, would you need to use an S headlight/front shroud?

Couldn't you just retain the stock E headlight and replace the bulb with a regular H4 bulb (high/low bulb)?

Tipsy