Sign in to follow this  

08 rmz 250 locking up

Ive got an 08 rmz 250 that keeps locking up on me. I pulled it out of the garage today and did the normal 2 slow kicks to find TDC then 3rd one it fired right up. It ran for probably a minute then died. I went to kick it back over and it was locked up. I got it loose by kicking it real hard and after 2 or 3 kicks it started back up again but for only about 5 or 6 seconds. I did this 3 times and finally gave up. What could be the problem? Valve lash maybe, what about cam timing cause i know 2 teeth off, things can get pretty crazy. Help me out guys!! Thanks!

Ive got an 08 rmz 250 that keeps locking up on me. I pulled it out of the garage today and did the normal 2 slow kicks to find TDC then 3rd one it fired right up. It ran for probably a minute then died. I went to kick it back over and it was locked up. I got it loose by kicking it real hard and after 2 or 3 kicks it started back up again but for only about 5 or 6 seconds. I did this 3 times and finally gave up. What could be the problem? Valve lash maybe, what about cam timing cause i know 2 teeth off, things can get pretty crazy. Help me out guys!! Thanks!

If the kickstarter is hard to push down then DO NOT KEEP TRYING TO KICK IT OVER. You will end up cracking your case, if its not already.

Ok first, you need to pull the clutch cover and make sure a peice of metal isn't getting caught in between any of the teeth and make sure your not missing any teeth on any of the gears.. Also make sure your case isn't cracked, Iv'e heard of many 08's cracking cases right behind the kickstarter gear.

If everything looks good in there, move on to checking your timing and cam chain tension. Also check the cam shaft bearings for smooth movement.

If still no luck, then you might have a crank bearing going out.

GOOD LUCK!

maybe gap to large on exhaust valve with decompressor on. i had a similar problem if the gap is to big when you turn the motor over the decompressor doesnt push the valve down and you get way to much compresssion so you cant push down on the kickstart