07+ Stator Talk

so what one would you purchase if you had to buy one?

It all depends on what one's needs are...

For me it was the ability to ATLEAST idle with one HID on....I could not do that with the RS like I could with the modified stock stator and Trail Tech stator. But then I also needed the ability to run two HID so that eliminated the stock stator leaving me with the Trail Tech.

If all I was ever going to do was run a dual sport kit, one HID and maybe a GPS then all I would do is the stator mod and BD reg/rec.

One of these days, I will de-wind the RS I have and re-wind it with an 18 gauge wire. That should give me what the TT stator has plus some :busted:

That is in the original post of this :busted:

HAHAH thanks.

Well I should look to see if the guy that owned this bike before me had it done. He did a hack job putting the dual sport kit on and I have no idea if he did it or not. I asume he didnt since the battery will not recharge.

I assume he didnt since the battery will not recharge

Thats no an indicator...When I wired my dual sport kit, I left the charging system stock until I went HID.

The only way to tell is pull the side cover off and look. Also what does the regulator look like? If the stator has been modded or is aftermarket, the stock regulator will not work :busted:

Thats no an indicator...When I wired my dual sport kit, I left the charging system stock until I went HID.

The only way to tell is pull the side cover off and look. Also what does the regulator look like? If the stator has been modded or is aftermarket, the stock regulator will not work :busted:

The reg is a silver box with black in the center.

so what one would you purchase if you had to buy one?

I've been very happy with the Trailtech stator and reg/rec combo. Really nice power at idle and quality built. The unit Coop has is the new updated version with simpler wiring than mine and the reg/rec was modified to mount in the stock location at the steering head ( I have mine under the seat). My preference is that I would rather have solid output at idle and very low revs than a super high output at high revs and low output at idle (Ricky Stator). Maybe just a preference, but I feel that if I run the battery down with a lot of e-starts or whatever, I stand a better chance of getting it up to speed sooner with the Trailtech than anything else.

I just got the Trailtech stator rec/reg setup, have not installed it yet but my only plan is to run a HID race light in October. Probably going to modify the stock light with HID components though for just trail / street riding.

Going to be using a 65W - 100W Trailtech Extreme with the three HID lamps for a 25 hour race in October...:busted:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

This is Evan in R&D at Electrosport Industries.

Since we are just now launching our ESK770 high power DC kit for the WR450's I figured I'd add our numbers to this thread to show what we have to offer.

I'm attaching a chart showing charging voltages measured at the battery of our kit, using our ESL770 stator and ESR601 regulator.

Now looking at previous numbers for other companies stators quoted in this thread, I don't know exactly what RPM you're using for idle and for 1/4 throttle.

My numbers will be quoted at 1200RPM idle, and 3000RPM 1/4 throttle.

These tests are done with our new 4" HID's (we will have these available with a mounting bracket kit soon), with a stock flywheel and battery on our test rig.

Keep in mind that on our kit, with (2) 35W 4" HID's on, breaks even on battery voltage at 2200 RPM!! That means 13.6V steady on the battery, slightly above discharging level. Any lower RPM and the battery will be slowly discharging.

With that said, here is a chart showing output of our kit.

I'll print the data below in the same format as the other kit comparisons you posted above:

Raw AC Voltage:

Idle (1200RPM) - 11.7 VAC

1/4 Throttle (300)RPM) - 29.5 VAC

DCV @ Idle:

No Lights - 12.9VDC

1 HID - 12.0VDC

2 HIDs - 11.5VDC

DVC @ 1/4 Trottle:

No Lights - 14.6VDC (regulator maximum)

1 HID - 14.6VDC

2 HIDs - 14.6VDC

Charging System break even point w/ 2 HIDs on - 2200RPM @ 13.6VDC.

You can see our kit here:

http://www.electrosport.com/products/product-detail-1975.php

New pictures will be up soon, and it will be available for purchase online very soon.

Let me know if you have any questions

-Evan

TsaxWt9.jpg

ESK770chart.jpg

Hi guys,

I'll print the data below in the same format as the other kit comparisons you posted above:

Raw AC Voltage:

Idle (1200RPM) - 11.7 VAC

1/4 Throttle (300)RPM) - 29.5 VAC

DCV @ Idle:

No Lights - 12.9VDC

1 HID - 12.0VDC

2 HIDs - 11.5VDC

DVC @ 1/4 Trottle:

No Lights - 14.6VDC (regulator maximum)

1 HID - 14.6VDC

2 HIDs - 14.6VDC

Charging System break even point w/ 2 HIDs on - 2200RPM @ 13.6VDC.

Thanks for the test data...However when you compare it to the other stators, your stator clear does not have the power to push one HID at idle and still charge the battery (like the Stock Stator and the Trail Tech stator do)

I think for MOST (if not all) of the guys on this forum want at a MINIMUM a stator that will run at least one HID at idle while the battery is still charging. Your test data CLEAR shows that your stator CAN NOT do that...

Also, I am very skeptical of your 14.6 readings with 2 HID's at 1/4 throttle especially when your RAW AC power is not even close to the Trail Tech or the Ricky Stator :busted:

I merely wanted to post our testing data for comparison along with the other manufacturers WR kits in this thread.

And thanks for doing so! Its just one more thing for everyone to look at when comparing stator options. ?

However, IMHO it would mean a WHOLE lot more to see the data coming from the customer rather then the MFG :busted:

FYI I updated the data table to help aid in visually seeing the claims of ElectroSports stator output compared to the rest...

StatorData.jpg

However, IMHO it would mean a WHOLE lot more to see the data coming from the customer rather then the MFG :busted:

Agreed, but then you and I (with identical bikes and stators) would still get different numbers. It looks like Evan's stator and the Ricky Stator are somewhat similar in output per rpm. I can't say that everyone wants more of their output at idle, but I agree with Aaron as that is the way I like it. I want a solid charge above static battery voltage at idle with one 35w hid running. As I'm just a recreational rider, it just makes me feel better knowing that if I tax the battery too much with excessive e-starts or whatever, I can still ride low speed/low rpm at night with the light on and slowly get charge back to the battery. I'm not convinced I can do that with the R.S. or the Electrosport stator, but who knows. I will say that for a racer, either of these two stators sounds like a better option for running duals than the Trailtech as the revs will likely be kept higher in that situation and there seems to be more output in total. Aaron, you've had stators flying on and off your bike left and right for the past few months, why not do a field test for Evan? ?

I really like my Trailtech stator for my purposes, but the next bike will have the lights run purely from battery alone, independent of any stator.

• 1 month later...

So is the general agreement that the Trail tech is the best for charging at idle? I'm still having problems with my bike draining the battery at idle with the head light on. Bike is a 05 wr450 with baja D kit on. Bike has the baja d reg/rec and a 35 watt light bulb. I put a new battery in and it did not solve the problem.