Highfive's 1st Dyno Test

"It is what it is".....so goes the result of my first R² Dyno run.

Used a shop with a high dollar "DynoStar" machine: http://www.kowetacustomcycles.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=5

They know their stuff...and claim their Dyno (or dare I say "De-Lier") is most accurate.

Read it and weep, boys:

433626675_f4L9L-XL.jpg

432952412_Lq6Gb-M.jpg

For you dyno-experts, the Tech said to disregard the spike in Air/Fuel mix in the lower rpm range. He could not get the O2 sniffer deep enough into the stock muffler for accurate reading in lower range. There is no correlation of that spike to the power curve, as you can see. Its just a misread.

He said my bike ran good, pulled well thru the range consistently. Didn't find any bad problem. I put the stock Trailwing on for maximum drum traction. It worked fine, with no problems. Peak power about 23hp! Said I was too rich at WOT, and I should try to lean it out. Guess I'll back my PP down to 0.5 for that. Maybe lower acceleration mode too.

So, I don't know how anyone is coming up with 30+hp numbers on their R². I'm having serious doubts about that. Maybe cheaper dynos produce different readings....I donno.

My specs:

Flapper Mod

AIS Mod

K&N Filter

FMF Power Programmer (3-3-3-8-8-8)

Graves Exhaust Insert (SA removed)

TPS set to max (99%)

Gearing 13/46

HF ?

• Like 1

In theory, the dyno operator should input the bike's actual gearing, along with the actual weather. That should allow us to compare dyno figures from different places and times with reasonable confidence. HighFive's HP sounds about 5 low given his mods, so barring the possibility that he left a sock in his throttle body, maybe dynos aren't as comparable as we'd hope.

Yeah, Im not sure Im impressed or even beleive these results are accurate, most of the stock reviews I have seen produce on average 26 hp some as high as 27 thats in pure stock form in 4th gear at 10,000 rpm, which is common knowledge for this bike as its "power band".

Mine did indeed produce 31hp and it is pretty apparent the power increase especially compared to the guys I ride with that mostly ride 450's and still cant beleive they have a hard time keeping up with me, and cant believe that I didnt do a big bore or tall cam on it.

ride 450's and still cant beleive they have a hard time keeping up with me

Yeah, most 450's are pretty gutless nowadays. One of the reasons I sold my even more gutless WR426 is that my 1967 Vespa scooter could outrun it. If it weren't for the small tires and lack of suspension, I would have used it for desert racing. ?

A modern 450F is a lethal weapon in the right hands, bring your WR250 over my way I'll pull out the 450 EXC; I promise It'll keep up.

I also have an extremely hard time buying 31hp at the rear wheel, the bike is rated 28hp at the crank.

The gentleman has a dyno sheet and a photograph (proof e-nuff for me) and some are questioning the results ...hmmm, it sure feels like a 23hp bike to me.

I think it's definitely a useful tool for verifying the effectiveness of modifications. Whether or not the baseline is 20 or 30, a dyno is most useful when it tells us that a Brand X pipe added 5% to the top end, or that Steakevus' bike picked up 20% more power with the mods he made. I rarely believe seat-of-the-pants impressions unless I have developed a level of respect for the source of that info. Anybody can post online and say their bike goes like a scalded cat with the mods they made, but if they've only owned a few bikes then I'll take it with a grain of salt!

Anyway, I've never used this brand of dyno, so I can't speak to its effectiveness. Dynojet dynos are notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent from one dyno to another. Most are calibrated wrong from the get-go.

I think it's definitely a useful tool for verifying the effectiveness of modifications. Whether or not the baseline is 20 or 30, a dyno is most useful when it tells us that a Brand X pipe added 5% to the top end, or that Steveakus' bike picked up 20% more power with the mods he made. I rarely believe seat-of-the-pants impressions unless I have developed a level of respect for the source of that info. Anybody can post online and say their bike goes like a scalded cat with the mods they made, but if they've only owned a few bikes then I'll take it with a grain of salt!

Anyway, I've never used this brand of dyno, so I can't speak to its effectiveness. Dynojet dynos are notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent from one dyno to another. Most are calibrated wrong from the get-go.

Sounds about right to me...maybe a little low compared to industry "calibration" but sounds about right, I did not read the mod list...so it may be low.

WOT air fuel did not look too rich to me, well, at least not by too much, but the best way to tune that is on the dyno to see what makes most hp.

A modern 450F is a lethal weapon in the right hands, bring your WR250 over my way I'll pull out the 450 EXC; I promise It'll keep up.

I also have an extremely hard time buying 31hp at the rear wheel, the bike is rated 28hp at the crank.

The gentleman has a dyno sheet and a photograph (proof e-nuff for me) and some are questioning the results ...hmmm, it sure feels like a 23hp bike to me.

Steveakus's bike has been modified so 31whp is completely believeable. If you search for it you will find my 34whp graphs with nothing more that a tune, header, airbox modification and a slip-on. I'm not in a position to provide a link at this time but it's out there.

What we can't do is compare dyno sheets from one type/brand of dyno to another as every manufacture believes their numbers are the correct ones. There can be 15-20% variences in numbers between them.

when my x was on the dyno it made higher numbers.. but who knows, every dyno is different. this was done by a large dealer, i assume they knew what they were doing?

DSCF0047.jpg

looks like around 29hp? peak of almost 34hp... thats 3 4th gear pulls and a run through the gears.?