Sign in to follow this  

Any truth to this? 100% KTM Tax.

I stole the following from a local (north Texas) mx site, so I don't know if it is true or not.

So is this true, with any real possibility of happening, would it apply to parts? I hope not. Anybody know for sure? Have links, etc.?

"The AMA announced today that it has written to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative opposing a plan that could double the cost of some European motorcycles imported into the United States.

The plan being considered by U.S. trade officials would impose a 100 percent import duty on more than 100 European goods -- including two engine displacement categories of motorcycles, 51cc to 250cc, and 251cc to 500cc.

The federal measure is designed as retaliation to the 27-member European Union's continuing import ban on American beef treated with growth hormones. EU officials haven't lifted that 20-year-old ban, despite a World Trade Organization (WTO) order to end it.

If U.S. officials impose the retaliatory tariff, it would double the price of a host of under-500cc on- and off-highway machines from brands such as Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.

"There is no logical link between European motorcycles and the dispute over beef," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations, in his comments submitted to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. "Imposing these stiff tariffs on motorcycles would do nothing to resolve the trade dispute, but would punish American buyers of European motorcycles."

The AMA's comments make a strong argument that motorcycles have no business being used as a lever in a dispute over beef.

"Trade disputes residing concretely within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be resolved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products," Moreland said. "A 100 percent ad valorem, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles will cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the vehicles. Additionally, citizens will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreation motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and well-being of millions of American families."

The United States wants to impose $116.8 million in import duties to equal the amount of money it claims the U.S. beef industry loses each year because of the ban. The WTO has agreed on that amount.

Interested parties have until Dec. 8 to comment on which European goods should be subject to the 100 percent tariff in the dispute. It is unknown when U.S. officials will make a final decision."

I saw this on another forum also...

america just keeps shooting itself in the foot... Yeah, they'll show them damn Europeans!!!!....while helping shut down american dealers......stupid f@cks.....:thumbsup:

WHY would america want to alienate itself from the world even more at this time in history??? Another stellar bush administration legacy for the books....

I saw this on another forum also...

america just keeps shooting itself in the foot... Yeah, they'll show them damn Europeans!!!!....while helping shut down american dealers......stupid f@cks.....:thumbsup:

WHY would america want to alienate itself from the world even more at this time in history??? Another stellar bush administration legacy for the books....

Don't be so fast to judge the Bush administration on this. This issue has been going on quietly behind the scenes long before the outgoing administration was elected. The ruling by the WTO and the 100% tariff was originally presented in 1999 under the Clinton administration. The US was allowed to act on this way back then but did not for the last nine years. This is a release from the MIC dated June, 11 1999 discussing the 100% tariff back then:

http://www.mic.org/mic.cfm?pagename=News&content=D101BA9E-3048-280F-E8EA952D09A553E4&referer=Executive%20Reports_Owner's%20Survey...Congress%20Amends...

In all honesty, with the products and market share that KTM and other EU producers had in the late '90s, it would not have been a big deal to impose that tax and loose the business. Now that there is a WORLD recession and with gas recently over $4 a gal (and sure to go back soon due to OPEC cutbacks) there is a great increase in Vespa sales, it is a much bigger $$ loss for EU producers.

To also add a little more consipiracy theory to this, where are a large majority of new motorcycle producers coming from? And where is a large amount of the US deficit tied to? So, do you think that the Chinese lobbyists think that this is a bad thing for the US to do? I am sure that they think it is going to be great for their interests.

And FWIW, the EU attempted to imposed the tariffs on H-Ds imported to Europe in 2003 along with citrus fruit and textiles. And this was in retaliation for arguing over STEEL. WTH does citrus fruit have to do with steel? Well if you get to the bottom of the article you can see the reasoning. So don't think that this kind of stuff doesn't go both ways. ALL politicians regardless of party or nationality are sleaze bags IMO.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3243423.stm

From what I have read up on the situation, the motorcycle tariff is primarily meant to t-off the Italians, as they are the primary country keeping the EU from allowing American beef to be imported. So what does Italy probably import the most into this country? Scooters and small displacement motorcycles. Well probably not, but the rich buggers that make these rules don't want to tax the fancy Italian fashions that they buy for their wives and mistresses nor the wine that they drink at their posh restaurants! So scooters and small motorcycles it is.

I am not going to complain about it either way until all is said and done. This kind of bantering goes on every day between countries behind the scenes and could easily be different a week or two from now. It just would have been really nice if we all were aware of it nine years ago.

Besides, Loops, this will be good for you guys up in Canada. Your KTM and Husky sales will triple for the dealers up there as we Americans buy them and try to sneak them across the border. Heck, with the current value of the Looney, I have already been getting stuff from up there. My dollar goes a little farther north of the border than it does down here!

Canada tends to do what the US does alot so it wouldn't surprize me to see it here also, besides we already pay way more than just the exchange difference up here. Example I can buy a new Skidoo (made in Canada) about 3K less in Montana than in Alberta. Then I have to pay import fees (inspection) to get it back into the country.

I have been pleading for import duties for some time to bring jobs back to the US. That said the percentage should be a single didgit #. Maybe 5 to 8%. Anything higher will hurt more folks than it will help. If passed as written we would have 525s available for 1/2 the cost of 450's

Eastreich, I have not read the links yet but thanks for posting.

Here is my main issue. The sole reason I ride an '08 SX250f is my dealer. He is the picture perfect American small business owner. Don't get me wrong I love my bike, but would have gone cheaper (honda, yam or zook) on my newest bike if it wouldn't been for his exceptional customer service through the years. His shop is by far the best I have ever done business with, heck his business is probably one of the best business's I've ever dealt with period. I would hate to see him get pushed out of business or suffer financially over this mess. Hopefully this is all just political posturing as stated before.

Thanks for the info Eastriech! Too many people try to pin everything on Bush. People should read more or watch other channels on the TV that are not so slanted in view. It is true that Obama won his election against President Bush with the help of these un-informed fools.:thumbsup:

I'm ok with Bush the last 8 years. I ate (some steak dinners), I rode (Dirt bikes and road race bikes), I slept (in a nice house) and I did not have to dodge any bullits or bombs! Thank you Mr Bush!:smirk:

I stole the following from a local (north Texas) mx site, so I don't know if it is true or not.

So is this true, with any real possibility of happening, would it apply to parts? I hope not. Anybody know for sure? Have links, etc.?

"The AMA announced today that it has written to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative opposing a plan that could double the cost of some European motorcycles imported into the United States.

The plan being considered by U.S. trade officials would impose a 100 percent import duty on more than 100 European goods -- including two engine displacement categories of motorcycles, 51cc to 250cc, and 251cc to 500cc.

The federal measure is designed as retaliation to the 27-member European Union's continuing import ban on American beef treated with growth hormones. EU officials haven't lifted that 20-year-old ban, despite a World Trade Organization (WTO) order to end it.

If U.S. officials impose the retaliatory tariff, it would double the price of a host of under-500cc on- and off-highway machines from brands such as Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.

"There is no logical link between European motorcycles and the dispute over beef," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations, in his comments submitted to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. "Imposing these stiff tariffs on motorcycles would do nothing to resolve the trade dispute, but would punish American buyers of European motorcycles."

The AMA's comments make a strong argument that motorcycles have no business being used as a lever in a dispute over beef.

"Trade disputes residing concretely within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be resolved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products," Moreland said. "A 100 percent ad valorem, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles will cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the vehicles. Additionally, citizens will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreation motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and well-being of millions of American families."

The United States wants to impose $116.8 million in import duties to equal the amount of money it claims the U.S. beef industry loses each year because of the ban. The WTO has agreed on that amount.

Interested parties have until Dec. 8 to comment on which European goods should be subject to the 100 percent tariff in the dispute. It is unknown when U.S. officials will make a final decision."

Hello All,

It looks like this is true. This came from someone that I know that is well connected with the AMA.

Read This:http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2008/amatarifffight.asp

so that means either my 08 ktm 505 xcf will be worth more than what I paid for it (in relation to the price of a new ktm) or it will be absolutely worthless as no one will touch a ktm because there won't be a dealer left in North America. None of this sounds good.

Thanks for the info Eastriech! Too many people try to pin everything on Bush. People should read more or watch other channels on the TV that are not so slanted in view. It is true that Obama won his election against President Bush with the help of these un-informed fools.:thumbsup:

I'm ok with Bush the last 8 years. I ate (some steak dinners), I rode (Dirt bikes and road race bikes), I slept (in a nice house) and I did not have to dodge any bullits or bombs! Thank you Mr Bush!:smirk:

I'm sorry...It must be the Walt Disney administration pushing a 10 year old stagnent bill through before their term is up!:smirk:

Not blaming bush.... blaming the mindless idiots in his administration....

I'm sorry...It must be the Walt Disney administration pushing a 10 year old stagnent bill through before their term is up!:thumbsup:

Not blaming bush.... blaming the mindless idiots in his administration....

It does seem somewhat mindless, but just remember that a whole bunch (if not a majority) of the advisors that were in the administration that came up with this in the first place are now back with the incoming administration.

Politicians are politicians. With Obama's "youth" in the national political scheme, he needed to have some "experienced" advisors. I hate to sound at all like I am adovocating some kind of consipiracy here (I really, really do hate it) but there was probably some kind of deal struck between the Clinton's, Obama, and the DNC to get these people into advisory roles for the "experience" that they had. It is just the way Washington/politics works.

So I really don't see how anything changing at the top is going to be of any benefit in this scenario. Either it will work out or it won't. But in the grand scheme of things, I am betting that the politicians really could care less about 10,000 or so people employed by European owned motorcycle/scooter companies when they are worried about the American auto industry. And just so we are all clear... NONE of the politicians truly care about the American or Canadian workers who are in need. They only truly care about their PAC and lobbyist money. If the auto industry goes under, they stand to loose a lot of cheese on a personal level.

Now if a KTM/Aprillia/et. al. had a lobbyist who was going around handing out wads of C-notes (in stacks of 100 or so) to high ranking members on the House and Senate Trade committees, this would probably have been dealt with already.