My PIG Conversion

I have pretty much completed the XR650R conversion. I spent far too much money on it and it is something that I will never ever do again. I will just buy what someone else has done, far cheaper.

Whats been done

1. Frame powder coated black, bearings renewed.

2. Swingarm polished, bearings renewed

3. Supermoto wheels bought second hand, originally gold but sent away to be respoked, reanodised and bearings renewed

4. New set of black plastics

5. Aluminum Tank

6. Uprated stator

7. Legal Lighting

8. Full Titanium Akropovic exhaust system

9. Radiators sprayed black

10. Stainless steel radiator guards added

11. Uncorked

12. Edelbrock carb added.

13. Polished Yolks

I have not done any engine work to the bike at all.

So, as some of you may be aware - I was in the process of turning my dog of an off-roader into an awesome supermoto.

I should have really taken pictures before the beautifying process, but alas I did not - I will however try and take some pics as I go along, on the road to rebuild.

Here we have my re-anodised wheels - these were originally gold - but as every man knows, gold is for girls - so I am going black and silver baby - black and silver!!!

P1000701.jpg

I have also had my yolks polished - not sure how well this picture shows it, but they have been mirror polished...

P1000703.jpg

P1000702.jpg

On purchasing the wheels for this bike - the blokey also gave me a pair of front forks which have been resprung with some ohlins springs in them - so I have stuck those in the yolks as well.

I also put new bearings into my newly powder coated frame for the yolks - that was a frikken pain in the arse and I may have inadvertently fooked the bearings in the process - but only when get it on the road will i be able to tell.....

So here we have the frame/yolks/forks!!

P1000700.jpg

I forgot that I need to put on the pegs and stand before I can remount the engine and swingarm - so once I have made that purchase I will update this thread!!

ice.

[Part 2]

So, this weekend, as it was glorious I thought I would stay in my garage, sweat my nuts off and start putting the bike together.

As you may have heard, i fekked one of the footpeg bolts and i was advised that I needed to have 'spark erosion' to remove it. However, some kind guy (Steve) in Andover drilled it out for me and sorted out a new thread and helicoil!!

So, after getting that all done Friday - I now have what looks like the beginning of an awesome supermoto:

P1000865.jpg

P1000864.jpg

P1000863.jpg

P1000862.jpg

P1000861.jpg

P1000860.jpg

Here we have the custom made aluminum tank imported all the way from Italy, made by: http://www.blitalia.com/

It came with red 04 450CRF shrouds (I forgot to ask for black) - so I had to buy those as extra. A little bit of cutting was required to get them to fit sort of flush to the tank, its not perfect but its as good as its gonna get.

p1010228resized.jpg

Here we have the radiator protectors - all the way from the good ol' USA (an ebay purchase) - I bought alot of stuff when we had a really good exchange rate so was effectively getting it for half price. The radiators have been sprayed with a black radiator paint. initially I wanted to have them sonic cleaned and polished but was advised against that due to how then the metal on these radiators is.

p1010227resized.jpg

The whole plastics have been changed from red to black, this shot also shows the full titanium akropovic exhaust system, plus the rear swing arm was fully polished. Frame Guards were imported from Australia.

The rear shock was replaced with a brand new hagon unit as the old one was completely knackered from the off-road use abuse it sufferred (failed an MOT cos the rear shock was weeping). I also had to change all the bearings on the swingarm - i fekkin hate changing bearings.

p1010226resized.jpg

Another shot of the fuel tank (the best bit of the bike IMO - its a great looking tank, especially with the CRF shrouds, gives the bike a more aggressive look.

p1010225resized.jpg

The lights, I spent ages deciding what lights I should be getting, I finally went for the Acerbis road legal cyclops lights. I initially didn't like them, but after a while it grows on you.

p1010224resized.jpg

p1010223resized.jpg

And here we have a full on side shot:

p1010222resized.jpg

There are a few things left to do, but as it stands this bike can now be taken out on the road.

ice.

• Like 1

good job man I'm in the middle of doing kind of the same thing. I'm converting my L to black. With CRF shrouds as well but I'm customing my tank to fit. Probably using the cycra powerflow rad guards. A black CRF front fender and still working on the rear aspect of things. I did the USD conversion on the forks though with a set of CR125 forks and CRF 450 top clamp with rubber inserts.

Sounds like your really going for it with your conversion! The money aspect of it for me became too much and I could no longer justify spending more money on stuff (i could if i wanted to, but it was getting silly - even getting good prices for stuff).

Post some pics up if you have any.

On another note, I forgot to mention that my bike is based on the xr650r that I saw on a site called macmoto.co.uk. Unforutnately, the guy went out of business whilst i was in the process of doing my conversion (I spent quite some time doing this conversion - a side project) so I lost the images he had on his site.

Ahh well, it looks all bling now!!

Cheers

ice.

What does that killer looking alu tank weigh?

I have no idea how much it weighs (although it feels quite light). However, it is slightly smaller than the standard red tank - but I didn't buy it for its weight or range, i bought it for its bling!!

ice.

• 1 month later...