Sign in to follow this  

Horsepower or horsepoo(er)?

OK we ride XRs here - so I guess we luv 'em. But how do they really stack up against more modern bikes? On paper there is as much horse power in a modern 250cc MX bike as there is in an XR400.... but how does the ride compare??? Is the XR better at low revs? does it handle better or worse? is the suspension better or worse? etc.

I have not ridden many other bikes on the trails, but on bitumen the XR400 is like a bicycle with a flat tyre compared to the KTM, Huskie and Kawasaki 450s I have tested (strewth how do those guys keep the back wheel hooked up with all that power).

True story: We de-restricted a new '08 KLX450R for a client (I sell bikes for a living) and today (after his first ride) he phoned up and asked if we could reverse the proceedure because the dang thing was just too brutal for him; he preferred his mate's 510 Husqvarna because that was not as quick. LOL

Meat (Sheesh i love dirtbikes) bomb...........

I think one of the main draws for the XR engines is longevity and the fact they don't need frequent maintenance.

Yes the newer bikes make more power, typically at higher RPM's but the power comes at a cost. All that hi RPM running increases the maintenance intervals like adjusting valves and rebuilding the top ends.

As for the handling and ride I can't say I have only ridden XR's and XL's off road.

Darrell

ive had my properly set up xr400 for about 5 or 6 years and i cant hop on any 250f even if its not set up for me i am considerbly faster on the 250f instantly though i feel like i am murdering the bike riding it at those rpm's. but it sure is fun.

One of my riding buddies is riding a CRF450R. Occasionally, I find myself riding it for a few minutes and then want to get back to my humble XR4.

The reasons?

Well, for one, the XR's suspension is miles better for the type of riding I do. I often find myself beating the $hit out my buddy's CRF when we ride through stones and deep mud. That being said, I found a relatively good deal on a complete front end from a CRF450X and went for it.

My only complaint thus far is the reduced turning radius.

Now engine-wise, boy, that CRF is a MONSTER! It revs in a blimp! Whenever I rode it, I would have the feeling there's something wrong about my style of riding. I don't know if it was just me, but it always gave me the feeling that you can only drive a CRF like you stole it! In steep hills and deep muddy trails the bike would overheat and needed to be switched off to cool. Now, me I like the occasional fast and aggresive driving, but I also like to keep it simple and safe. I might buy a modern bike at some point, but that will probably be the XR's succesor. The CRF450X.:thumbsup:

The newer bikes power comes on so abruptly. Almost an either on or off throttle. The newer bikes I've ridden off road and on trails take A LOT of throttle finnesse in the slow, technical stuff.

As for suspension, the newer bikes are coming from the factory with some excellent setups. Whereas with the old XR you have to have it professionally done if you want the good stuff. Do that, and the XR shines.

If we are trails with long straight sections my buddy can not catch me with his KX250.

I can run close the tight stuff but can't pass him. Of course I out wweigh him by 25 lbs. and am 13 years older.

I would probably be quicker on a XR250 but not a CRF 250 because I am not used to the lack of engine braking and quick power hit.

OK we ride XRs here - so I guess we luv 'em. But how do they really stack up against more modern bikes? On paper there is as much horse power in a modern 250cc MX bike as there is in an XR400.... but how does the ride compare??? .

I'm assuming you mean a modern 250 4-stroke MX bike, as a modern 250 2-stroke has about a 15hp advantage over an XR400.

The 250F revs faster & further, and now days, they are actually putting out a couple more top-end HP than an XR400.

The XR has more bottom end, is more smooth, not as snappy, etc.

Yes I agree that a modern MX bike must be ridden aggressively... I've ridden a CRF450R, a YZ400F and a KTM 525MXC (or whatever the 525 off-road thumper is called) and they all hate to be putted around. They are made for fast, aggressive riding. Yes they can be putted around but this seems like a waste of technology and power. The XR is technically a trail bike and is sprung and powered accordingly.

Your comparing apples to oranges. Each bike has it pros and cons. I tend too look at it as Performance vs. Maintenance. You cant have both... Yeah, I've got a couple hundred of high performance hours on my 450 but ive got about a zillion worry free hours on my ol' XR that has been through 100% hell that the race engine could never withstand. Personally, I think half the fun is maintaining a bike so i would pick performance over reliability any day :thumbsup:

Do what I am doing and build a CRF230F into a 250cc. Long stroke torquey engine. Electric start ( I wish it has kick start but whatever ), I am modifying the front end with Race Tech emulators or XR250R front end and works rear shock. Maybe not as much pure HP as a modern bike but a hell of a lot easier to ride and more fun. Low maintaince too. Easy to work on. Steel instead of a beer can frame. Weighs less than a 450 and about the same as a XR250. I plan on racing this bike in National Enduros this year. Sr.A class.

Dwight

I prefer the xr4 to the newer crf 450s for a lot of reasons, The bike has a comfortable balance of handling and horsepower, topped off with it's low maintenance reliability. The one thing about the crf for 09 I am interested in is the weight, 220 lbs to my bikes 265. some of that would be nice! :thumbsup:

I prefer the xr4 to the newer crf 450s for a lot of reasons, The bike has a comfortable balance of handling and horsepower, topped of with it's low maintenance reliability. The one thing about the crf for 09 I am interested in is the weight, 220 lbs to my bikes 265. some of that would be nice! :thumbsup:

I agree. The weight issue is my major complaint from the XR. Primarily in the slow and technical stuff, and whenever I need to pick it up.

That's one more reason I'm starting to think that I might be better of getting a 2 stroke as my 2nd bike. A properly (i.e for trails) set-up CR250 for instance I'm feeling would be sweeeet for those tight rides!

I would like a newer 250 or 450 for trail riding.... but I am poor and my XR400 was cheap so I ride what I got

I like my XR for the a lot of the same reasons I like my 2 current street bikes, an 1100 L-twin Ducati Hypermotard and a 1200 Boxer Twin BMW GSA, both low reving, modest HP bikes with great torque. I like the torque of both of those bikes, and the torque of the XR400. An old saying, a high HP motor is fun some of the time, a high torque motor is fun all the time. On the street about 90 HP is all I need, and in the dirt the XR supplies enough HP for my riding. Some folks want 150HP on the street, and some want 50+HP in the dirt. Me, I'm happy with nice torque and reasonable, livable, controllable, HP.

248191784_63pQi-X2.jpg

a 250f will smoke an Xr400....

but If I were gonna do afew hours of tight BC trails I think you know which one I`d rather be on.

a 250f will smoke an Xr400....

but If I were gonna do afew hours of tight BC trails I think you know which one I`d rather be on.

Anything but a KTM :thumbsup:

I could afford a newer technology bike, but I think the XR4 is the best bike for my trail riding butt. Here's one I just picked up this weekend. It has the 426 kit, Stage 2 Hotcams, Edlebrock pumper carb, A-Loop kit, ASV controls, TAG bars, and lots of protection. I would like to drag race a modern 450 with this bike, then take it on tight stuff and see what is better. The power on this machine is controllable, but awesome!

MynewXR4.png

Buckrun, how did you go getting that front brace setup to work properly?

I bought and fitted one, and i found it was hitting the front guard well before the forks had run out of travel.

Not a good thing on big landings.

I possibly could have cut a bit out of the guard and achieved some clearance but i carry a tube on the front and figured the guard would break if i modified it.

Cheers.

I could afford a newer technology bike, but I think the XR4 is the best bike for my trail riding butt. Here's one I just picked up this weekend. It has the 426 kit, Stage 2 Hotcams, Edlebrock pumper carb, A-Loop kit, ASV controls, TAG bars, and lots of protection. I would like to drag race a modern 450 with this bike, then take it on tight stuff and see what is better. The power on this machine is controllable, but awesome!

MynewXR4.png

nice lookin bike for sure buck but i doubt its faster than a new 250f and definetly not even close to to a 450.

OK we ride XRs here - so I guess we luv 'em. But how do they really stack up against more modern bikes? On paper there is as much horse power in a modern 250cc MX bike as there is in an XR400.... but how does the ride compare??? Is the XR better at low revs? does it handle better or worse? is the suspension better or worse? etc.

I have not ridden many other bikes on the trails, but on bitumen the XR400 is like a bicycle with a flat tyre compared to the KTM, Huskie and Kawasaki 450s I have tested (strewth how do those guys keep the back wheel hooked up with all that power).

True story: We de-restricted a new '08 KLX450R for a client (I sell bikes for a living) and today (after his first ride) he phoned up and asked if we could reverse the proceedure because the dang thing was just too brutal for him; he preferred his mate's 510 Husqvarna because that was not as quick. LOL

Meat (Sheesh i love dirtbikes) bomb...........

I think the XR compares favorably in the terrain it was designed to ride in. For example: last year I went trail riding with a bunch of guys on KTM's (trailbikes). All of the guys were good, in fact one guy smoked everyone but he was an A/B rider and went to those trails all the time. The trail we rode was single track, whooped out, dusty, tight, fast...a good mix of everything you would find on a trail...my little XR kept right up with the KTM in front of me enough to pressure the guy into a crash (I did not cause the crash or get close enough to make him crash, he got tired). I ride about twice a year and this guy seemed to ride a lot more than me, but my bike did awesome and kept up everywhere. I left a CRF250X in the dust, and this was all before I got my suspension done. I really want to go back to the same trail now that I have suspension and see what my little trail bike can do.

On the other hand, I rode my brother's CRF450R and hated it. I think a lot of it had to do with riding my XR all day long. The power on the 450 was way too much and it felt like the slightest turn on the throttle went to WFO! I know if I rode it for more than 5 minutes I would get used to the power, but I just wanted to get back to my XR. My brother tried to follow me up this rocky, steep hill on his 450 and crashed a few times, which I thought was entertaining. Seems as though a lot of power is wasted in wheelspin on the 450...you have to have really good throttle control for those bikes.

I do like the power a lot on my bike now that I'm used to it. I came off of a CR250 to my XR. You can hammer the throttle and get decent accelleration, it's fun to ride, a bitch to start, tractors up almost any hill, and runs forever. For my type of riding, I love the XR.

I have the 440 kit, Mikuni Pumper, Cam, Header, Ignition, GPR Stabilizer, ESP Suspension, and will soon add an 8" racelight...it's a great bike :thumbsup:

176127826306_0_ALB1.jpg953427826306_0_BG1.jpg