Stock can or aftermarket

Because I'm an ijiot?

I'll reiterate, especially after re-reading (and reading between the lines) the original posters question - the stock can with the GYTR/PMB insert is the best bang for the buck!

Is it not even better to run the stock can without an insert mate. I have mine removed at the moment, so are you saying that it would actually increase the power if i added a PMB insert????

Is it not even better to run the stock can without an insert mate. I have mine removed at the moment, so are you saying that it would actually increase the power if i added a PMB insert????

You guys aren't listening.....

You are still pretty much wasting your time without drilling a hole in that second baffle!

Do the math! It's basic geometry.

Pye x radius squared to calculate the area of a circle.

Look at the diagram in that link provided previously and work out the area of the holes in each baffle...... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/WR_Dave/layout2.jpg

You'll see that the second baffle is holding back any modification. Your 29mm dia. aftermarket insert is in fact only performing as a 26.2mm dia. insert.

In essence this is it:

muffler_clarification.jpg

You can put a 100mm diameter tailpipe in it, or remove the tailpipe altogether ......and it is still being held back by that second baffle!

Please, correct me if I'm wrong by all means.

Greg

I rode my 08 wr450 for 2-3 rides when new with the stock exhaust can/small baffle removed. Power was ok but not what I expected. Then I installed an fmf Q4 and it was like a whole new bike. Much more grunt, mid hit and over rev. Way worth the $350 or so. I'm planning to add the power bomb header based on what guys are saying about it on here, although I only expect a minor improvement over what I already got. Maybe you can re-engineer the stock can to get similar results, but then fmf has done lots of testing and it was worth the cost to me.

While alot of us don't have Beezer's cash flow to buy new pipes and $hitcan the stock stuff, the modified stock pipe effectively turns the stock pipe into an "AFTERMARKET" pipe. It is free to do and only requires a bit of time and ingenuity on the owners part. I will say again that the link http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349760&highlight=Modified+Muffler+saves+big+%24%24%24%24 never states that this is better than an aftermarket store bought system, it only says that for those of us who like to tinker and save our cash for skidplates and such, it is a good mod. I know I ride like a spode and don't have nearly the talent to ride my bike to it's full potential so I really only like the increase in macho sound that extra horsepower scares me to death!! :smirk::thumbsup: Merry Christmas SXP and all you other awesome WR riders --- WR Dave.

No, the PMB insert is a compromise between sound (still legal) and improved power over STOCK. Without the stock baffle and without the PMB insert the can is probably slightly more free flowing than with the PMB insert, but also louder. I don't understand people who say that the PMB insert makes no difference over the STOCK setup. There's is most definitely a difference. And for someone who doesn't want to spend 400 bucks, the performance improvement for $60 bucks is good value. I guess my butt dyno is calibrated differently from others.

Dave/et al - Happy holidays to you too:ride:

No, the PMB insert is a compromise between sound (still legal) and improved power over STOCK. Without the stock baffle and without the PMB insert the can is probably slightly more free flowing than with the PMB insert, but also louder. I don't understand people who say that the PMB insert makes no difference over the STOCK setup. There's is most definitely a difference. And for someone who doesn't want to spend 400 bucks, the performance improvement for $60 bucks is good value. I guess my butt dyno is calibrated differently from others.

Dave/et al - Happy holidays to you too:ride:

Ah right i see. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Im im honest, i dont think my bike really needs anymore power. Ok if your riding it on the limits then yes, but id say most are not riding these 450's to the absolute max anyway. Lets be honest, there very capable as standard with the free mods. :smirk:

Im still keeping an eye out for a decent 2nd hand exhaust mainly for the looks and sounds if anything, but i cant justify £300 for a fmf can when it wont help me ride 'that' much quicker in my opinion.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen, I'm going w/ the Q4 and the Factory AIS Removal Kit from Yamaha. I'll report back when complete.

[i dont think my bike really needs anymore power./QUOTE]

Needing and wanting are 2 different things.

The bike is much more fun to ride with a good pipe. You can find a YZ pipe on eBay pretty cheap sometimes.

I am selling a dubach ss pipe (compete) and an 08 yz pipe (complete) with a PMB insert and ultra silent insert. I like the quite stock pipe.

i did the fmf q series ...it is state park leagal and gave good power and a good sound... you can hear it but it isnt obnoxious to the neighbors the mega headder doesnt give much more power but melows it out a bit more

Has anyone had any luck with the Whit brothers e sires? i just bough a complete system on ebay for 100 bucks wonding if it was worth it?

The White Brothers E- series pipes I have found to be the best pipes on the market.

I've had them on 3 bikes and was really sorry when they went out of business.

well thats good to know i thought maybe 100bucks was too much for the system cause they no longer exist but im glad someone on here knows about them

The White Brothers E- series pipes I have found to be the best pipes on the market.

I've had them on 3 bikes and was really sorry when they went out of business.

I found I had to run too many discs in order to make big power, which in turn made it obnoxiously loud.

The E-2's I've had didn't have any discs so I dunno.

Mine came with a baffle that kept them fairly quiet and the packing lasted a whole season.

They were pretty well made, not your garden variety aftermarket junk.

My vote is to get the aftermarket can. You can get an fmf Q4 on ebay new for under $300. I have a modified stock pipe because I thought it was quieter than my buddies WB E2...did sound test and it turns out that mine was the same exact decibles as the E2...and his has better response and is snappy. We both have '05WR450's so its seems worth it for the improvement.

I think I will go with the FMF Q4... Any good results to add? I understand it will let the engine breath while still being quiet.

The Q4 is the closest sounding pipe to stock W/ PMB insert. Good looking pipe and I understand its pretty solid.

The Q4 is the closest sounding pipe to stock W/ PMB insert. Good looking pipe and I understand its pretty solid.

exactly. I prefer the sound of a good old fashion straight thru packed muffler, with a quite insert. I like a little rumble out of my big bore. so long as the dBs are below the legal limit of the location:smirk: .

I think that some mech. baffled silencers just cut out too much low frequency for my taste.