Sign in to follow this  

KLX 140 Headlight Installation

Thought I would share some photos of the KLX 450 headlight I installed on my son's KLX 140. The brackets are made from 14 GA S.S. and the new light switch I puchased off of E-bay. Enjoy.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

• Like 1

Please give more detail on how you hooked it up to the electrical side of things. In the stock form does it put out enough volts to make it work?

The power for the headlight comes off the back side of the run/stop switch then runs through a 5 amp fuse to the off/low/high switch for the headlight. Both the high and low beam run at 35 watts and at 12 volts is pulling 2.9 amps. The battery is rated at 6 Amp/hr which means that the headlight theoritically could be left on for two hour before the battery is completely dead. I have not been able to find out the power output of the stator, but I figured that if the Baja Design kit that is available for the bike runs a headlight with out a re-wound stator, then it should be OK. We will have the bike out over New Years and I will report back if I encounter any problems with the charging system.

I had not planned to putting on a rear tail light. I am sure that there is a way to adapt a KLX 450 tail light on and it is a LED and probably only uses 3 - 5 watts.

Looks really good man. I'm going to do the same thing, I have a KLX450 and I don't ride at night so I'm going to put a KX front plate on it and use the headlight on my 140L. I was going to do a write up on how I did t but you beat me too it. Nice job...

I thought I would give an update to the headlight installation on my son's KLX 140. We took it out to Cal City for new years and had no problems. He rode it aroung our track for 2+ hour a couple of different nights and never had any charging or battery drain issues. It was nice to have it on the bike as we did not get back from a couple of our rides until after sun set.

The only problem I have had is that with my big butt on the bike the head light is aimed to high. :thinking:

im looking for a klx450 headlight for the same mod.

if anyone has one for sale PM me please.

Looks good Witdogg, you'll love having that light on when it gets dark. - Salttoy

I know this thread is old, but did the klx450 headlight come with a plug connector, or did you guys have to mess with wires? Thanks!

amtzzero,

I did have to do some minor rewiring at the front of the bike to get the headlight to work. I replaced the start button with High/Low/Off headlight switch that also had a kill button (momentary) built into it. You can see the swithch in the original post, it is next to the throttle. I used the hot wire that powered the start button to operate both the headlight and the new start button(kill button) on the new switch assembly. I installed a 5 amp in-line fuse on the power side of the headlight switch to protect the rest of the electrical circuit. Then hook up the high and low beam wires from the KLX 450 headlight to the appropriate wires from the High/Low/Off switch.

It is easier done than said. Let me know if you need a wiring diagram as that may be more clear.

The light has been on the bike for over two years and we have never had any problems with it or the charging system. It has even survived a few tough crashes.

I don't want to bother you, but if you have a wiring diagram, that would really help out! Thanks.

amtzzero,

I did have to do some minor rewiring at the front of the bike to get the headlight to work. I replaced the start button with High/Low/Off headlight switch that also had a kill button (momentary) built into it. You can see the swithch in the original post, it is next to the throttle. I used the hot wire that powered the start button to operate both the headlight and the new start button(kill button) on the new switch assembly. I installed a 5 amp in-line fuse on the power side of the headlight switch to protect the rest of the electrical circuit. Then hook up the high and low beam wires from the KLX 450 headlight to the appropriate wires from the High/Low/Off switch.

It is easier done than said. Let me know if you need a wiring diagram as that may be more clear.

The light has been on the bike for over two years and we have never had any problems with it or the charging system. It has even survived a few tough crashes.

• Like 1

Do you have to make the bracket? and is it all just bolt on?

I am thinking of getting a KLX140 for myG\F but I def wanna instal a headlight! I am not good at welding tho. At. All hehe.

The wireing I can handle!

Here is the wiring diagram for the KLX 140 that I used to hook up my headlight and a picture of the new headlight switch.

klx-140-wiring-diagram.jpeg

https://www.supermot...ight-switch.jpg

Hi Im new to this forum could you kindly post a much clearer diagram of how you wired your 140. I just got a 140 and want to wire it for street use..headlights,turns siganls. brakelights. I have most of the parts from parts scooter

thank you