Powder Coating A Rear Spring?

Yowza All,

Have had many things powdercoated on both the bikes and cars that have undergone restoration. Frames are the best but the one caveat is the bike has to be assembled and have all "brackets" etc in place and then disassembeld for the powdercoating. Otherwise you put it back together and realize you need to weld something AFTER teh powdercoating is done.

Powdercoating does come off and it's not fun, don't ask me how I know and then I won't have to tell you a lie about what happened to a "friend" of mine.

Got to address one thing. 4 ounces difference between a powdercoated spring and factory. Not quite! Someone is pulling your leg. Trust me.

Have done both coil and leaf springs with powder. Nice thing about doing leaf is that a piece of Teflon sheet can be iused between each leaf rather that grease. The spring works in a more uniform fashion and no grease to seep out and wipe up later.

Bad powdercoating is usually the result of too much cure which causes brittleness. Too much heat and your spring is ruined. Good industrial ovens are preferred.

Good Health to All, Bob Lovell

Yowza All,

Have had many things powdercoated on both the bikes and cars that have undergone restoration. Frames are the best but the one caveat is the bike has to be assembled and have all "brackets" etc in place and then disassembeld for the powdercoating. Otherwise you put it back together and realize you need to weld something AFTER teh powdercoating is done.

Powdercoating does come off and it's not fun, don't ask me how I know and then I won't have to tell you a lie about what happened to a "friend" of mine.

Got to address one thing. 4 ounces difference between a powdercoated spring and factory. Not quite! Someone is pulling your leg. Trust me.

Have done both coil and leaf springs with powder. Nice thing about doing leaf is that a piece of Teflon sheet can be iused between each leaf rather that grease. The spring works in a more uniform fashion and no grease to seep out and wipe up later.

Bad powdercoating is usually the result of too much cure which causes brittleness. Too much heat and your spring is ruined. Good industrial ovens are preferred.

Good Health to All, Bob Lovell

I weighed my own coated and noncoated springs that are the same rate, and I can't pull my own leg.

have it nickle plated and be different

Nickle plating on a dirt bike wil look like crap in no time at all. Nickel does not have the resiliency that you would need for that kind of exposure. It would tarnish in no time and look terrible.

Nickle plating on a dirt bike wil look like crap in no time at all. Nickel does not have the resiliency that you would need for that kind of exposure. It would tarnish in no time and look terrible.

have you ever done it? used to be quite common on custom frames for dirtbikes and flatrack. here's a 93 cr200f frame that was done in 93 and still looks like new.

cr200.jpg