09 gas in the oil

My 09 crf450 has gas in the engine oil, anybody have this problem, if so what caused it?

Yes, I've had this as well. Quite an interesting treat when changing your oil and you smell gas isn't it.

Did you find out what caused it.

My 09 crf450 has gas in the engine oil, anybody have this problem, if so what caused it?

I was just logging on to ask the same question. I just drained the breather tube and what came out was very thin in viscosity and smelled a lot like gas. I drained it into a shop towel and at least some of it evaporated.

I wadded mine up last ride and tore up some ribs 3 weeks ago and haven't ridden since. Not sure if a couple of tumbles would cause this.

I doubt the oil provides much protection when diluted with fuel. I hope this isn't a prelude to a melt down.

I love riding this bike, and haven't even gotten the suspension done yet.

I didn't pay attention to what feeds the breather/drain tube when I checked my valve clearances but usually fuel doesn't end up in the crankcase unless it went past the piston and rings.

It's hard to tell if my oil has much gas in it, it's been 1.5 hours since I changed my oil and it still looks okay with maybe a little smell of gas.

what kind of oil are you running?

Did you find out what caused it.

he only posted 40 minutes ago..

I think there were similar problems with some of the first Suzuki GSX-R with FI. Turned out that the FI made the mixture too rich at some situations and the extra fuel could not burn, condensated on the cylinderwalls and partially migrated past the rings into the engine. Those bikes would always raise their oil level (because of diluted gas) and people wondered for quite some time what happend. Since there were reports that the 09 CRF is mapped too rich at some throttle openings, this could be a similar situation ....

Would be interesting to see if Eddie's map can cure an existing problem like this?

Michael

same problem here, i'm waiting to get to socal so I can take it to a dealer to get it checked out. I've already called honda customer service and filed a complaint. I suggest you guys do the same, the more they hear about it the more likely they will be to cover fixing this. 1-866-784-1870

There was a thread earlier of a bottom end failure (big end of connecting rod). Diluted engine oil would cause this to happen!

same problem here, i'm waiting to get to socal so I can take it to a dealer to get it checked out. I've already called honda customer service and filed a complaint. I suggest you guys do the same, the more they hear about it the more likely they will be to cover fixing this. 1-866-784-1870

I'll call Monday. I have 12 hours on mine now.

I drained my oil and changed the filter but the oil still looked pretty good but did smell gas especially when I pulled the filter. I thought the oil only had 1.5 hours but it was 2.5 hours.

Put 1.4 hours on it today and it had a little fluid in the drain tube but it was mostly oil and didn't smell very much like gas and that may have been residual.

I had crashed mine with an almost full tank and it flipped over a couple of times so not sure if that had anything to do with it but I'm definitely gonna keep a close eye on it.

Gonna try to get in a couple of rides this week before I go out of town to Vegas for New Years and Anaheim 1 so it looks like a good time to send out the ECU and suspension for updates.

my friend just got his 09 and is noticing the same thing. anyone have any answer from honda yet>

I am confused. First off, a brand new bike needs broken in in order to seat the piston and rings. That usually consists of 2 heat up and cool downs with light throttle and load. About 20 to 30 minutes each. I think the second run they say you can shift thru all the gears. Then the oil needs changed because its breakin oil. Even after the breakin you need to ride the bike conservatively because everything needs a chance to get the wear patterns burned in. No one should have problem one after that.

The second issue I have is why would anyone have to check the valves on a brand new bike. Even at 10 to 15 hours. Honda has made leaps and bound in that dept.

Third - you guys who keep having the cam issues - run your idle speed correctly. If you don't the auto decompression system trys to engage and puts stress on the mechanism (PIN). I believe 1800RPM is the ideal idle.

Last - The CRF450 comes from the factory lean as lean can be to meet EPA crap. Even it it was rich it wouldn't dump fuel in the oil. Poor ring seat lets fuel in the oil. Also if you guys are kicking the crap out of your bike to start it, the electronics and fuel injection are most likey spraying fuel every time you kick. The fuel is saturating the cylinder before it finally fires and starts. Get your bikes computer reflashed. It will run better and start easier.

I feel better now.

having same problem and wonder if cold riding temps may be part of problem of running rich along w/low hours on ring seating.we have been running at temps between 35d to 45d ? what temps are we all running in. We had a major back fire which caused power loss after blowing over a 110ft jump not good.

Last - The CRF450 comes from the factory lean as lean can be to meet EPA crap.

I thought the bikes came rich. I think that was one of the main reason for Eddie's reflash.

rich at low rpm lean at high rpm.

there is no epa reason the fueling is just wrong!

if it was rich enough for raw gas to get past the rings while it was running it would smoke black like a train and foul the plug , there is a chance that the injector is fouled with debri allowing it to drip when the motor is not running , this might put gas into the oil

I have the same reasoning w/ the black smoke.I have only seen blue smoke from the back fire and believe this is from vent tube which may have overflowed oil into air box to intake.I have noticed oil on swing arm below air box.

My bike just reached 30 Hrs so I did my third oil change. And wow the oil was thin and definately smelt of gas!! Seemed odd to me because the first two oil changes where perfectly normal. I'm thinking its possibly the cold weather, like some else mentioned. Hope we can figure out the cause before to long, gas in the oil is going to cause bearing failures for sure.

My 08 450x's oil always smells like gas. Also there is always alittle bit of oil/gas in the crank case vent hose. I would imagine this is caused by blow-by. There is tons of pressure on that one ring. There is no way that it is going to seal 100% of the combustion. Also, with the small amount of oil that is in the crankcase, its not going to take much gas for it to smell gassy. I change my oil every 150 miles and have around 2000 miles on it. A buddy of mine has roughly the same mileage and he changes his oil every 200 miles. We took his motor apart today as part of the winter tear down and everything looked perfect. This could be a worse situation with the 09 R's but I hope this helps.

The ambient temp doesn't make a difference as I smelled gas in my oil when it was in the 90's outside and as low as 40.

I no longer have been smelling this BTW. Seems to me it was only when the bike was new, now I haven't smelled it since.