09 gas in the oil

how do they mess it up? just curious?

take it out.the tank needs to vent both directions.

any one else?

Good to know, I will switch my back tonight. I'm not trying to question your input but can you explain why this is causing gas in the oil?? I just want to understand what is going on. Thanks

Eddie,

In your opinion, why are people finding gas mixed with oil in the tube. Or better yet, just finding any oil with gas in it. Is it from the mapping that comes stock, too rich on bottom and too lean on top. I wonder if your remap would take care of this problem? What are your suggestions as we all would like to know from someone with as much experience as yourself.

hey seems that i am not the only one w/ the same problem. i agree w/ tank needing proper venting.But this may not be your problem. I have sent mine back to my Dealer after my prior TT posing and still awaiting results. They say Honda knows there is a problem and they are trying to resolve it. I have exp. same problems you have posted.Oil on swing arm,over flow,gas /oil in vent tube.The thing is be care full if oil spills out vent tube at wrong time and ends up in intake this could cause back fire and lose of power that may happen at wrong time and results may not be very good. We had a close encounter and stopped riding it. It does not look good when your kid almost end over bars. Suggest calling Honda and make a post w/ them and then take to dealer.

Good to know, I will switch my back tonight. I'm not trying to question your input but can you explain why this is causing gas in the oil?? I just want to understand what is going on. Thanks

air can get in but not out with the 1 way valve.

Eddie,

In your opinion, why are people finding gas mixed with oil in the tube. Or better yet, just finding any oil with gas in it. Is it from the mapping that comes stock, too rich on bottom and too lean on top. I wonder if your remap would take care of this problem? What are your suggestions as we all would like to know from someone with as much experience as yourself.

its not the mapping.

someing is causing a fuel leak when the bike is sitting.

no one way valve, just stock. mine has mapping and the other bike stock. just to be clear, i am not worried about the smell of gas. I am worried about gas filling up my crankcase to the brim! As long as the level is correct i dont think its a big deal to smell fuel. My issue is gas is coming from some where and overflowing my crank case, twice. Also, one time so far on bike # 2.

its not happening while its running,thats for sure.

that much extra fuel via the ecu would not allow the bike to run good if at all.

your right,oil that just smells like fuel is normal.

to gain enough to come out the fill hole is not.

100% sure the trans oil is being transfered??

that much extra fuel via the ecu would not allow the bike to run good if at all.

I plan to do some testing with regards to this since I have found what appears to be a small amount of almost pure gas in the breather/drain tube fairly regular since new. Sometimes more sometimes less accumulates, have not seen oil level rise appreciably but oil seemed thinner than same wt. oil from tranny side.

I haven't had any issue with overflow onto swing arm etc. but as with my other bikes change my oil every 3 to 4 hours run time.

Seems like I rarely see a problem after a fresh oil change just before a ride, but after 2nd, 3rd ride starts to accumulate.

I have 2 rides, well 1.5 considering I got taken out by someone not jumping a double but changing lines in between take off and landing, after remap on EMC and no other changes. Still found a small amount of fluid but seemed thicker, more oil less gas. I will put one more ride on this oil and check it again.

I then plan to put fresh oil and filter in and after each ride depressurize the fuel system and see if there is a change.

Otherwise may have to pull the injector and let it sit in a cup with pressure on it and see if it leaks.

Scott

not 100% sure, i change both at the same time. i will investigate more if/when it happens again

Mine does seem hard to start some times when it's been sitting, and once it does start is very rough and rich for about 10-15 or so seconds.

Even noticed the same issue after resting for about an hour between motos the bike took more effort to start and ran ratty for 10 or so seconds then cleaned up. Runs fine once started.

Doesn't do this every time but would seem like an indicator that the fuel is leaking while NOT running. Sometimes it starts easy cold but always starts easy hot.

Doesn't do this every time but would seem like an indicator that the fuel is leaking while NOT running.

yes,thats what i would expect.

anyone figure anything out. i changed my oil last saturday and raced at oak hill sunday. checked oil throughout the day after my motos and then again when i was done. oil level stayed the same so no problem.

well i read this thread so i decide to check it again before this weekends ride and low and behold, its almost full to the brim. i drained the oil so my dad can look at it but im 99.9% sure its gas. i dont have a 1 way gas vent and the only other mod is ron hamps insert. so what needs to be done. im gonna let is sit till saturday with no oil and see if anymore gas makes its way into the case.

just talked to my honda dealer and they are gonna take a look at it tomorrow. ill let yall know what i find out.

and still feel free to leave any suggestions cause as of now ill just be changing the oil everytime it does this.

thanks in advance

Good info in this thread!

just curious......you guys arent running any sort of 1 way valve on the fuel cap?

Hi Eddie

Pardon my ignorance...is this the black rubber tube running out the cap into the fork tube? I have the same gas in oil problem. Thanks

Maybe someone with this problem can let their bike sit overnight with the drain plug out and see if pure gas is coming out, just to verify. If so, the injector leaking is the only possibility. Perhaps petcocks should stick around awhile?

Maybe someone with this problem can let their bike sit overnight with the drain plug out and see if pure gas is coming out, just to verify. If so, the injector leaking is the only possibility. Perhaps petcocks should stick around awhile?

I've done so over the weekend, and no gas came out. I can only assume then that it is due to troublesome starting sometimes. I've cranked up the idle speed one notch, and now it starts on the second if not the first kick. I have put in new oil, and took a measurement after riding yesterday. Will measure again this coming weekend and report back to see if the level rose.

if they put a solenoid before and after the regulator with a tee and hooked it to the return line it could bleed off that 50 psi. when you shut it off. you would have to kick it more to start it. but it would relieve the 50 psi. solenoid in normally open position energized when kicked to close.

My friends low hour 09 450 had gas fill the engine side to the brim. After a trip to the dealer and them keeping it for a month they could not figure it out. One of the mechanics at the dealer is having the same problem and they say Honda is aware of it but have no fix as of yet. On his first trip out on the bike after getting it back it did the same thing, gas filled up the engine side of the crank case.