edelbrock pumper carb mystery

I have a edelbrock pumper on my xr400 I picked up used.

It was missing the pump linkage, after I got the parts I rode the bike and noticed an improvement in off idle proformance. I took it out a half dozen times and rode it hard for 2 hour trail rides and it performed well, easy to start even after laying the bike down, no issues.

I then went to start the bike one day last summer and it fired up 1st kick but I had a brain fart and I twisted the throttle before the engine was warmed up and I flooded it, this had never been a problem before I would just restart the bike.

Well I tried to restart it and nothing, wouldn't even fart. I tried for about a week to get the bike started again and nothing, checked the plug and it was always wet, I tried everything, shuting off the gas and kicking to clear the cylinder, taking the plug out and kicking it over a few times, I then took the carb off and didn't see anything a miss, reinstalled it, still nothing.

After that I put the stock carb back on and it fired right up and runs perfect.

anyone got any ideas

• 4 weeks later...

Hardy-har-har, somebody ripped YOU off. Too F##king bad, Pal- just like you pretty much told me when you sold me a bad camshaft.

I have an idea- You should respond to emails and PMs from people you have ripped off in the past (= ME), and then make good on your past bad dealings.

I hope you feel good about yourself, Buddy.....

Hardy-har-har, somebody ripped YOU off. Too F##king bad, Pal- just like you pretty much told me when you sold me a bad camshaft.

I have an idea- You should respond to emails and PMs from people you have ripped off in the past (= ME), and then make good on your past bad dealings.

i am sorry that happened. but now i bet the the guy probably isn't going to post here in this thread for a while and we won't know what went wrong. I am in the process of trying to fix my edelbrock carb and would like know what happened to his so that if i run into any problems, i will have as much knowledge about the carb as possible.

But i am truly sorry about you getting ripped off.

Alex, Try over in the Intake-Fuel room and see if Eddie can help you. He's a smart guy.

As to gleaning ANY knowledge from P-Sailor,,,, hmmm,,, I really don't think that would ever happen. If you search his threads, you'll see that he has non-stop bike issues and he never really does seem to solve anything. It sounds like his bikes are running sometimes, but typically are laying in pieces until he eventually sells whatever pieces are saleable (and of course, he sells parts which shouldn't be sold too).

IF he hadn't ripped me off, I'd feel really bad for the guy, but as things are, I have absolutely NO sympathy for his blunders.

Bottom line, IMO, he's one of those guys who probably shouldn't own tools.

Alex, Try over in the Intake-Fuel room and see if Eddie can help you. He's a smart guy.

As to gleaning ANY knowledge from P-Sailor,,,, hmmm,,, I really don't think that would ever happen. If you search his threads, you'll see that he has non-stop bike issues and he never really does seem to solve anything. It sounds like his bikes are running sometimes, but typically are laying in pieces until he eventually sells whatever pieces are saleable (and of course, he sells parts which shouldn't be sold too).

IF he hadn't ripped me off, I'd feel really bad for the guy, but as things are, I have absolutely NO sympathy for his blunders.

Bottom line, IMO, he's one of those guys who probably shouldn't own tools.

Yeah all my carb needs is the accelerator pump linkage and pump piston.

mmk makes sense. what was wrong with the cam? bad bearing surfaces or something of that nature?

The cam had been stuck in the head at one time and the cam gear slipped on the main cam body (gear is pressed on). If you check his past posts, you'll find he did indeed stick the cam in his past POC WR250.

I didn't look the cam over carefully before installation, but LUCKILY I turned the engine over very slowly after installation and found the "clunk" when the piston met the valves.

I took a closer look and I could see the timing paint marks (Hotcam) were all wrong and the gear teeth are pretty beat up.

Luckily, I didn't damage my valves (whew,,,, Yam valves are spendy), so I'm only out the money I sent to P-sailor. If the valves had been bent, that would have been another quick $250 for valves plus the time & gaskets to R&R the head.

Oh well, lesson learned, that being: If the guy seems to sound like a knucklehead, and he uses a weird name as an alias until the money needs to be sent, plus he uses a box number,,,, naw, do the shopping somewhere else. Since then, the guy needs to show up on an internet people finder or I won't do biz with them.

• 2 weeks later...

i just installed a new edelbrock carb on my 05 wr450 and so far it works good. one thing i noticed when setting the carb is if you have it to rich it will not start at all. i live in las vegas nv elevation about 2200 ft with the leanest needle installed that came with the kit #6 and could not get it to start. adjusted it a little leaner and worked great and starts easy. im going to the dunes this week for its first ride with the new carb so i will let you guys no how she runs.

i just installed a new edelbrock carb on my 05 wr450 and so far it works good. one thing i noticed when setting the carb is if you have it to rich it will not start at all. i live in las vegas nv elevation about 2200 ft with the leanest needle installed that came with the kit #6 and could not get it to start. adjusted it a little leaner and worked great and starts easy. im going to the dunes this week for its first ride with the new carb so i will let you guys no how she runs.

when i had it on originally, it had a little bit of trouble starting but not bad. but it was so rich that it would not warm up. when i got into single track stuff it would load up and start to die. not conducive to good trail riding. i through the stock one back on and it worked great so i used it. now i have ordered the pump piston and it should be here soon, and i will install it back on the bike. my dad just got his mikuni so we will have direct comparison.

I see you are in MN and P Sailor is in WA. Did you buy via eBay?

The reason I ask is I got screwed on eBay by a guy with sailor in his handle. His was tightropesailor, it should have been around his neck.

• 2 weeks later...
I see you are in MN and P Sailor is in WA. Did you buy via eBay?

The reason I ask is I got screwed on eBay by a guy with sailor in his handle. His was tightropesailor, it should have been around his neck.

Oops, my bad, I forgot to watch this thread.

I bought it from Piece-of-Work-Sailor off of this site. If you do a search of his posts, you'll see where at one time, he had a REALLY screwed up WR250F. I guess it's no surprise that everything ever installed on his bike is scrap iron.