My forks are leaking oil.

Today when I was starting to put on Maier fork guards on my bike I noticed there was a puddle of oil under the front wheel. After closer inspection I noticed there was oil leaking from the black rubber fork protector thingies. (What is the real name for them?) What do I do? Is it the seals, or is the situation a lot more serious?

probably a blown fork seal. They are called fork boots

How can I fix that?

How can I fix that?

you have to remove the blown seals and replace them with new ones.

its most likely not a blown seal, but debris in the seal itself..

take an old piece of exposed film and slide it between the seal and the fork leg and try and scrape the dirt out..

if this doesnt help then its blown, but 99% of the time it just has crap in it

you have to remove the blown seals and replace them with new ones.

Yeah, but how do I get to the seals? :busted:

Try cleaning to see if a small piece of dirt could be breaking the seal. Do your forks have air bleed screws? Look on the top of the forks. You will have the compression damping adjuster screw (it may be label with H and S - hard - soft. You should also see another screw that is not labeled. That is your air bleeder screw. Remove it and you will hear a tiny bit of air come out. That releaves the pressure that builds up every ride. The extra pressure is sometime enough to make the seals leak. You should bleed the air after every ride. It's best to do it with the front wheel off the ground. If that doesn't work, you might need new seals. You would have to disassemble the forks to do that. I would have a qualified person do it because you need special tools to put the spring back in. Can I get some good gas?

Yeah, but how do I get to the seals? :busted:

I cant really help you with that. I havent needed to change my seals yet so I dont know how to do that yet.

clean them, im telling you, they probably arent blown..

you get to the seals by lifting the fork boots up. I've done the same thing heybuddy suggests, only with a needle going around the seal to try and remove dirt. The best thing I can recommend is a set of seal savers, the work great for keeping dirt and sh*t out of your seals.

seal savers fa sho

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

and those are the shortest they make, they make longer ones as well

Yea, I rock the long ones.... various3138.jpg

are those zip ties on your seal savers.

Get the seals from any Honda Dealer or your local accessories store can order them from Parts Unlimited. OR the ThumperTalk Store can get them for you.

Dwight

are those zip ties on your seal savers.

they come with zip-ties to keep them from sliding off the lower tubes

they come with zip-ties to keep them from sliding off the lower tubes

I might invest in some of those. they looks way better than any fork boot.

Do you use the seal savers with the stock forks, or are those aftermarket forks? My uncle (from whom I bought the bike) says the forks are leaking because of the cold weather. I did ride the bike in the snow, and it did get really really cold (wind chills were around -15). The bike is garage kept; I don't leave it outside. He says all I need to do is add more fork oil and it will be fine. Is this accurate? How often do I need to change the seals? Can anyone post any links or something that can show me how to take the forks apart?

Do you use the seal savers with the stock forks, or are those aftermarket forks? My uncle (from whom I bought the bike) says the forks are leaking because of the cold weather. I did ride the bike in the snow, and it did get really really cold (wind chills were around -15). The bike is garage kept; I don't leave it outside. He says all I need to do is add more fork oil and it will be fine. Is this accurate? How often do I need to change the seals? Can anyone post any links or something that can show me how to take the forks apart?

yeah you can use the seal savers with the stock forks, mine are on the stockers.

fork seals shouldnt have to be repalced for a longggggg time unless you damage them or allow debris to accumulate around them, eventually getting stuck in them and causing them to leak..

for the third time. clean them and see if it stops.

I'll be cleaning them today. I'll need to add more fork oil. I weigh around 150. what kind of oil works best?

After I cleaned them they are still leaking. Is there any links or something that I can go to that shows me how to replace the seals?