KIWI Centre Stand

Home made off of the pics on another thread.

Here`s the results.

DSCF0268.jpg

DSCF0269.jpg

DSCF0270.jpg

DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0274.jpg

DSCF0275.jpg

DSCF0276.jpg

DSCF0277.jpg

DSCF0278.jpg

The lefthand bracket was a bitch to get right so that it cleared the side stand. Also shifted the side stand springs to the outside to give me more room.

Well done, spannermad.

Homemade???? Are you kidding??? That looks like a factory made part....You should be PROUD!!!! That is sweet!!!

I`ve got a couple of weeks off over X-mas-New year. If the weather clears up My youngest son and I were going to head for the hills on the DR, if it stays crap weather I`ll have a go at making a stand that is more simple to fit without having to alter the side stand. If it all works out I`ll post a new thread and make some for others to use, I`m not interested in making money out of it only need to cover the cost of materials. A bit of steel, 4 new foot-peg bolts some washers and a couple of springs.

Nicely done.

Waiting on the kit price :busted:

Nicely done.

Waiting on the kit price :busted:

Nordie it should work out at under NZ$100.00 . I reccon about $60 or $70.

At that price you'd better gear up for mass production, especially is the guys from ADV Rider learn of your stand!

Looks pretty clean..... nice job.

Jesse

I'd have one if you could use 10mm steel for the sides and build these in.

20080805-210002-000006.jpg

I'd have one if you could use 10mm steel for the sides and build these in.

How much lower and how much are the pegs shifted towards the back?

I`ll see how I go with mkII. Otherwise your side stand will need altered. Could always do an exchange side stand I supose.

How much lower and how much are the pegs shifted towards the back?

I`ll see how I go with mkII. Otherwise your side stand will need altered. Could always do an exchange side stand I supose.

25mm down and 25mm back.

footpeg-relocator.jpg

That is an amazingly fine job! I'm blown away by the skills I see around here. I bought the SW Motech unit a while ago and I like the looks of what you came up with even better. Some don't want to add the weight but I really like the function these stands give you for a very stable perch and of course it is very helpful for chain and tire work. Very nice work!:busted:

Merry Christmas and or Happy (incert your holiday here) gang!

Hi Capt`Turbo. I know what you mean about weight, but figered it weighs about the same as what I cut out of the muffler so there`s no real penalty. Also it`s low down and doesn`t change the way the fat pig handles.

The only reason I made it was I`ve got 2 new Kenda Trackmaster II tyres to fit and didn`t want to fight with the DR like I did last time when I fitted Shinko`s.

Wow, that is an amazing job.

If you do make more for sale, I would take two.

It looks like from your pics that you could adjust the footpeg position easily with a larger plate and a diagram for the user to drill where he wants after trying his old pegs held on with say vice grips. The plates could be say a lot larger to the bottom for lowering and higher for raising, forward & back. Then the operator could cut off what he didn't need for weight, or just ignore. Or, of course, sell the complete stand or the plans with the pegs in the stock position as you show. I propose you draw out plans for sale through ThumperTalk that could be taken to our maybe friendly local muffler shop/fabricator for construction. When it gets to be a really big production, as I predict, you can expand sales as you wish, carefully. You have done such a great job you should have some pay back. Good luck! I am very impressed with your stand. Merry Christmas!

Hi Capt`Turbo. I know what you mean about weight, but figered it weighs about the same as what I cut out of the muffler so there`s no real penalty. Also it`s low down and doesn`t change the way the fat pig handles.

The only reason I made it was I`ve got 2 new Kenda Trackmaster II tyres to fit and didn`t want to fight with the DR like I did last time when I fitted Shinko`s.

I meant what I said Spanner. Top friggin notch effort. If you do get into making them and refine them a bit (I really like the idea of adjustable footpeg positions!) I would buy a couple from you and sell the SW Motech one I have and keep the extra for my next DR. Note: The SW Motech stand is a very high quality farkle. I just love what can be done by the Joe Sixpack at home. Most impressive. The adjustable footpeg option would really make it special.

I`ve got a couple of weeks off over X-mas-New year. If the weather clears up My youngest son and I were going to head for the hills on the DR, if it stays crap weather I`ll have a go at making a stand that is more simple to fit without having to alter the side stand. If it all works out I`ll post a new thread and make some for others to use, I`m not interested in making money out of it only need to cover the cost of materials. A bit of steel, 4 new foot-peg bolts some washers and a couple of springs.

Please let us know, I can do a mass order for the DR650 owners for my area.

:busted::moon::p

OK guys, looks like I`ve created a monster.

Any problems at your end to get the side stand moified? There isn`t much to do. Remove the stand, cut the spring pin off, drill a 8mm (5/16) hole through the stand where the spring pin was, cut the stand almost through just below the clevis (cut needs to be about 1mm wide or 2 hacksaw blades),bend the stand at the cut, This is to move the stand away from the bike to make room for the left leg of the centre stand. So far all this should be able to be done by most of you. Now a 8mm (5/16) cap screw needs to be welded into the hole that was drilled for the new spring pin and the cut need to be welded up. A short 8mm cap screw is then loctighted into the frame ,it screws into the outside of the bottom roller mount.

I only ask this because today while i was fitting my new tyres, I had a look and a think ,and to leave the side stand as is creates a problem. The centre stand has to then be narrow and unstable , it also has to be almost under the swing arm when in the up position. Both of these I don`t like as it is a crappy design.

If you can do the mod or can get it done e-mail me and I will try to make as many as I can in my spare time.

As I said they should be under $100 each plus postage. First one is always the worst to make, I should be able to knock 1 out ready to fit in 2 or 3 hours .

E-mail: malc_l@hotmail.com

Please put "Stand" as the subject otherwise it may end up in the junk mail.

OK guys, looks like I`ve created a monster.

Any problems at your end to get the side stand moified? There isn`t much to do. Remove the stand, cut the spring pin off, drill a 8mm (5/16) hole through the stand where the spring pin was, cut the stand almost through just below the clevis (cut needs to be about 1mm wide or 2 hacksaw blades),bend the stand at the cut, This is to move the stand away from the bike to make room for the left leg of the centre stand. So far all this should be able to be done by most of you. Now a 8mm (5/16) cap screw needs to be welded into the hole that was drilled for the new spring pin and the cut need to be welded up. A short 8mm cap screw is then loctighted into the frame ,it screws into the outside of the bottom roller mount.

I only ask this because today while i was fitting my new tyres, I had a look and a think ,and to leave the side stand as is creates a problem. The centre stand has to then be narrow and unstable , it also has to be almost under the swing arm when in the up position. Both of these I don`t like as it is a crappy design.

If you can do the mod or can get it done e-mail me and I will try to make as many as I can in my spare time.

As I said they should be under $100 each plus postage. First one is always the worst to make, I should be able to knock 1 out ready to fit in 2 or 3 hours .

E-mail: malc_l@hotmail.com

Please put "Stand" as the subject otherwise it may end up in the junk mail.

Hi Spannermad

that looks like alot to do, especially the part to saw a slot to bend the stand, not for the faint hearted.

Instead of bolting the mainstand to the footpeds, how about bolting it onto the two unused threaded holes under the frame. That would have left the side stand alone.

Hope you can come up with a main stand that's plug and play as I do not have access to a welding kit.

Cheers

:busted: