Today I think I've worked out wheelies

So I wasn't born with the 'Wheelie' genes.

But that said over the last few days I've been getting bolder with the throtle.

I've pulled little wheelies off the lights but now I figured out whilst rolling about 15-20mph then giving it a proper handfull the front wheel points skyward.

Now I know its not a big thing to most of you guys, but I havn't really got anyone to tell and the misses gave me a dirty look and said 'Don't Tell Me'

So "I CAN NOW WHEELIE"

Sorry but had to get that off my chest!

your not alone

I'm lacking the 'Wheelie' gene too

So I wasn't born with the 'Wheelie' genes.

But that said over the last few days I've been getting bolder with the throtle.

I've pulled little wheelies off the lights but now I figured out whilst rolling about 15-20mph then giving it a proper handfull the front wheel points skyward.

Now I know its not a big thing to most of you guys, but I havn't really got anyone to tell and the misses gave me a dirty look and said 'Don't Tell Me'

So "I CAN NOW WHEELIE"

Sorry but had to get that off my chest!

That's awesome..I've been working on mine too but still timid about it. My bike is a dirt only kicker so it'll yank the wheel up quick, I just need to find the balance point and get comfy. I can ride one for about 30 or 40 feet. I'll get it eventually.....Congrats :busted:

Looking cool doing a wheelie is trumped by crashing trying to do one.

Looking cool doing a wheelie is trumped by crashing trying to do one.

Thats why I'm starting small and working my way up.

Oh and I always cover the back brake (just incase)

Is the reward worth the risk????????? To me it's not. If I flipped my bike and gave it a bunch of rash or broken parts from the crash, then it would not be worth it to me. I was never any good at it on my BMX bike either but I still tried. If I went over, I would just walk it off without the bike touching the ground. I don't think that would be possible with the DRZ. A bit heavy to be doing that. For me, to learn to wheelie would require flipping it a few times until I figured it out. I'm not risking my bike getting tore up.

your not alone

I'm lacking the 'Wheelie' gene too

LOL, me too. The first time I tried to pull a good wheelie I ended up on my face! Haven't tried it since. But I'm getting ready to .... :busted:

I learned to do them when I picked up my new sm last year. I read all the post on "how" and watched some vids (R.I.P Samuri Jim). I went to a large lot by my house everytime I rode. Bit by bit, first just wacking it in first and getting comfortable with the feeling( I had never done a wheelie on anything), now I like to "pop" it up in second and can hold it a few hundred feet. Athough as soon as the revs get up the front comes down:( I have up shifted to 3rd only once and loved it but it is tricky for me, need to find that balance point more. Also, I've always telling my foot to cover the brake but find my wrist is faster to react, I"ll keep working on it:smirk: Congats Skip

Doing a rippin 3 gear mile long wheelie just hangin on the balance point has nothing to do with "looking cool". It's one of the biggest adrenaline rushes you can get.

For whatever reason, I haven't quite figured it out. I can wheelie all day on a bicycle....my KLX, lol...well, I've ended up on my butt too many times to want to keep trying. Go figure.

Inch...give a 2nd gear wheelie a try....go for 30mph then a quick dab on the rear brake before you wind that throttle back

If you're lucky you'll get a nice slow lift to the BP area....and you'll get a longer, cooler feeling and looking wheelie

Then when you move on to the 1st/2nd gear wheelie...you'll be ready for what 2nd feels like

The trick for changing gear in the wheelie is to go for 2nd before you get too high in 1st and/or run out of 'gear'....whether you clutch or just jam it is up to you...

Some say cover the rear brake...which adds to the things you've to be thinking about...personally I find the severe engine braking when you dump the throttle on the single pot pulls the front back down if you get too high

I say a good wheelie feels better than a bad blowjob......keep it up :busted:

PS I'm seriously thinking of opening a supermoto wheelie centre in the South East next year....anyone think that's a good idea ??

My smart-arse son..17:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Z1y_AC30g&NR=1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf2A-BZ4gE4

I say a good wheelie feels better than a bad blowjob:lol:

I've never had a BAD blowjob! I did not know those existed!:busted::moon:

Monster, I have and they suck. Even worse is when they start and don't f*cking finish it.

As for wheelies, I've always wanted to do them but never figured out how. Never had my bike long enough to do it (the CR) and when I did try, I preferred to try on dirt or gravel rather than asphalt for obvious reasons but on dirt and gravel, damn tire would spin all the time so it was a pain. I'd love to learn and think I'll try if I get a DRZ.

capn' kev,

whats a wheelie center and how do you make money off of it?

keep practicing and figure out the timing on the clutchless shifts. before long you will be pulling wheelies through the gears. people with the wheelie gene may say you are "chasing the wheelie" and are not at BP. thats ok, let them talk.

cover your rear brake. better yet, practice bringing it up then tapping the rear brake to bring you back down. go easy on the brake at first and get a feel for it. remember that throttle control on a drz can ALMOST be as effective as the rear brake. there is enough back pressure if you get off the gas to bring the front end down.

Your on the way....

Next you'll be practising No footed wheelies... Just me :busted: Oh well :moon:

I can wheelie most bikes, but don't do it.

The mechanics are helpful clearing obstacles, but I'm over the "wheeeeee!" factor of it. Better things to do with my DRZ, I guess.

I've had both a bad wheelie AND a bad hummer.

The bad wheelie cost me a left ACL, the bad hummer was just annoying.

Both taught me a lesson I have not forgotten-first, don't drink beer and then try to pop wheelies and, second, don't drink beer and then try to choose an adequate cork soaker.

I can wheelie most bikes, but don't do it.

The mechanics are helpful clearing obstacles, but I'm over the "wheeeeee!" factor of it. Better things to do with my DRZ, I guess.

Agreed. I want to be comfortable at getting the front wheel over obstacles on trails. I don't see any utility in keeping the wheel up longer than that.

However, I am quite cetain if I was 20 years younger and not a father I would see plenty of utility in it. The same way I used to see utility in doing burnouts, racing, and yelling at girls. Man, I wish I was young and stupid again.

The DRZ just might be the easiest bike to wheelie that I've EVER owned.....even easier than my tuned R1! 1st, 2nd, 3rd...it just loves to be on the back wheel.

It's just a matter of practice, practice practice and eventually you will get it. Cake walk once you do!