GP-Rough Trail #283

My Dad told me he went down it 15 yrs ago but needed a rope to get back up due to a large vertical face after a switch back.

Has anyone completed or tried this trail up or down lately? If so, how was it?

i haven't been on that one but if its rated most difficult by gp standards then it probably is.

GP Website Description

"283 Rough - Numerous switchbacks. 1.7 miles" (double diamond)

I've rode it. Nasty switchbacks. Very nasty !. We rode two years ago. We went down it. do it once and you,ll call it good.

I have missed that one every time, now I gota go ride it;) double diamond:thumbsup:

Joe......

I have ridden down it. There is a bunch of nasty switchbacks and at least one that would be very difficult going up. The one bad one I remember makes the Shark/Kirk rock switchbacks look like child's play. It has about a 2 foot vertical step in the middle of a very tight/steep switchback. :moon:

I want to hit it next year going up. :busted:

Later,

I have ridden down it. There is a bunch of nasty switchbacks and at least one that would be very difficult going up. The one bad one I remember makes the Shark/Kirk rock switchbacks look like child's play. It has about a 2 foot vertical step in the middle of a very tight/steep switchback. :moon:

I want to hit it next year going up. :busted:

Later,

Jake,

Is it one of those places where a mistake results in death? Difficult I like death I'm not so big on. I'm jonesin to get in the GP again,, my season got cut short:banghead:

Joe.........

Joe, didn't you bust up your leg or something like that? My season also got cut short. Best time of the year too, mid Sept. Can't wait to start riding again.

Little Jeff

Sounds very interesting.

Where is 283?

Junctions with any other trails?

Thanks

Offshoot from 259. Tough decent. Nearly impossible to climb. Should be triple diamonds.

Just for a frame of reference...Where it this at? As in a location.

Starts on the 29 rd and goes up to Langille ridge trail. It's doable, easier going down. Not many people use it because it doesn't connect up for a loop without road riding (like a lot of other trails there). We went up it last summer when it was +100f degrees out and ended up coming back down because my buds drz400s battery went dead from all the restarts (no kick lever). So if a drz400S can make it...? It's about 2 miles with a few difficult spots, nothing too "side of a cliff" dangerous because most of it is still in trees. plenty of places to launch off, but a tree would catch you.

Sounds like fun. Now I only have 6 months of anticipation.

A few of us should get together and conquer it this summer.

Joe, didn't you bust up your leg or something like that? My season also got cut short. Best time of the year too, mid Sept. Can't wait to start riding again.

Little Jeff

20 Sep at the 6 hour. I had planned to set the whole month of sept aside for GP (funny how some plans never work out) riding but thought it would be a good idea to be at the 6 hour to prep for the 24 hour in Oct. I needed to see how my son was going to do on a 380 so working sweep at the 6 hour was a perfect shake down run. I got one ride in the GP with a new to me 380 that had a leaking carb. I was empty after 40 miles. I am parting out a KTM 125 SX right now and thinking I need to try a 200 and see if it has the grunt I want for GP riding. I don't know what a 200 gets for fuel economy but it has to be better than the 20 MPG I get with the 380s. What I should do for 2009 is just take a week off and take the toy hauler with a few guys for a full week of riding, I can't take the family,,, they just don't dig it due to the difficulty. If gas prices don't get stupid again I can get up there more.

Joe.......

Pics from the 14 Sep GP ride:

http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/freeride/2008/gp14sep08/

Pics of the broken leg: http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/membergallery/mclaughlin/joe/leg/

I was feeling good at the 6 hour until I slapped the ground:

http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/membergallery/mclaughlin/joe/Joe_IMG_5161.JPG.html

http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/membergallery/mclaughlin/joe/Joe_IMG_0422.JPG.html

Austin did great on the 380 at the 6 hour

http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/membergallery/mclaughlin/austin/Austin_IMG_0410.JPG.html

http://www.jctra.org/gallery/v/membergallery/mclaughlin/austin/Austin_IMG_5095.JPG.html

go north on langille almost half way then take a right on 283 down to road 29

I went half way up it in the dark without a light once. One switchback after another. Did not seem real bad so maybe the bad stuff is nearer the top?

Offshoot from 259. Tough decent. Nearly impossible to climb. Should be triple diamonds.

Thanks I found it, maybe next summer. For those who have ridden it. Is Bishop ridge a good warm up?

Thanks I found it, maybe next summer. For those who have ridden it. Is Bishop ridge a good warm up?

To me Bishop is a fun easy trail, there is more punishment on Bishop because it is 6 miles long but nothing really hard in my opinion.

So yeah it would be a perfect warm up. :busted:

Later,

I went half way up it in the dark without a light once. One switchback after another.

Are you part owl? :busted:

i haven't been on that one but if its rated most difficult by gp standards then it probably is.

GP Website Description

"283 Rough - Numerous switchbacks. 1.7 miles" (double diamond)

One thing I've learned about GP trail descriptions is to NOT take them lightly. They are constantly accurate.

Sounds like fun. Now I only have 6 months of anticipation.

A few of us should get together and conquer it this summer.

We do an annual camp and ride week every Sept. this will be the 5th year. As many as 35 have showed up in the past. People bring their dirt and/or dualsports with different organized rides for bike type and skills. Be a good time to see Gifford if you've never been there.