Cavitation issues - things to try...

Hi Guys

I am a New Zealand National class rider (just) about 15-18 seconds slower per lap than our guns (Cody Coopers speed) on a 3 minute national track.

For the past few years i have had major problems with what i finally conclude is cavitation on hard pack, clay type tracks. The little acceleration and braking rivets that develop just cause the forks to oscillate out of control, you can here the springs and internal components rattle and the bars shake in your hands really badly.

This is particularly up jump faces.

I was wondering if there are any general guide lines to help reduce or eliminate this?

At softer tracks the forks are great, only these hard pack, blue groove type tracks.

Cheers

Mark

you want to chat to davej here on the forum, he is the only one i know of who is involved with stopping this issue on TC forks, he calls it his bubble scrubbers.

Hi Guys

I am a New Zealand National class rider (just) about 15-18 seconds slower per lap than our guns (Cody Coopers speed) on a 3 minute national track.

For the past few years i have had major problems with what i finally conclude is cavitation on hard pack, clay type tracks. The little acceleration and braking rivets that develop just cause the forks to oscillate out of control, you can here the springs and internal components rattle and the bars shake in your hands really badly.

This is particularly up jump faces.

I was wondering if there are any general guide lines to help reduce or eliminate this?

At softer tracks the forks are great, only these hard pack, blue groove type tracks.

Cheers

Mark

Do your forks fade or is it harsh all the time?

Thanks for the replies guys. appreciated!

That is a good question, i am not sure. I suspect it might take a couple or few laps to happen. But i need to ponder that....

I think maybe a couple of laps it is okay and then does it.

Fork oil is replaced quite consistantly but shock maybe every 4-6 months....

at your speed i would replace the shock fluid every 2 months tops.

could try prelaoding the ICS spring,

if it is cavitation you need to examine what causes it locally and try to improve on the design. you can increase cartridge pressure and/or improve oil flow.