Finally, the right tires!

The Bridgestones my "05" came with did ok but didn't last long. The Maxxis Desert IT's were an improvement as far as longevity but not so much on handling. I started running Dunlop 739G's and they were good when new but didn't last more than 4 or 5 rides in the Nevada desert and after about the third ride things would get dicy! Every tire I've tried had some short comings until now.

The Dunlop 745 front and rear has made an amazing improvement in the bikes handling. My riding buddies are asking what's got into me? I told them I've found a tire where I feel completely in control from hard pack to sand and the bike feels like it's on rails. I'm running 18 psi to avoid bent rims here in the desert and the tires are performing great. When I've over inflated my tires in the past the front side knobs always break off on the front. I'm on my sixth ride with the 745's and all my side knobs are still intact and the rear is just now showing signs of wear. I don't know how these tires would be for track but for off-road they're great.

Thats good to hear. I've always ran the Desert IT's just because of how well they wear but the traction and handling aren't always the greatest. I never run more than 12 psi in them though and still had the problem with the side nobs coming off the front tire. I live in New Mexico and we ride a mix of hardpack and sand also. If you get a chance to ride them in some other areas I would be really interested to know because I ride track and I ride in the mountains of colorado regularily too.

Also with the 12psi I never had any flats with the Maxxis tires they seemed to have very stiff sidewalls and even with some very rough rocky races in the mountains I had no problems with flats. If you have to run the 18psi to keep from bending the rims or flatting I'm not sure if the 745's would be worth it.

Also with the 12psi I never had any flats with the Maxxis tires they seemed to have very stiff sidewalls and even with some very rough rocky races in the mountains I had no problems with flats. If you have to run the 18psi to keep from bending the rims or flatting I'm not sure if the 745's would be worth it.

The Maxxis Desert IT's do have very stiff side walls and I don't bend rims as often with them but I do think you give up some handling. The Maxxis seems to last a few rides longer but the knobs chunk off easier. If I run less than about 16 psi I eventually end up with a bent rim here in Southern Nevada no matter what kind of tire I'm running. One of my riding partners runs an 18" rim on his KX500 and rarely bends his rims with the Maxxis. He runs about 18psi also but has said many times that his KX500 doesn't like to turn with Maxxis tires. So far the Dunlop 745's seem like less of a trade off.

Are the sidewalls fairly stiff on the 745's? Or soft or somewhat medium?

have u tryed the kenda range of tyres? u will be greatly suprised