Fork Springs Replaced

I did the fork springs (Progressive Suspension) on my '03 DR650 today, it was a snap. Also replaced the fork boots. The OE boots were kinda bad. Anyway, if anyone is thinking of doing it, here's the overview of the job:

- jack up the bike

- pull front wheel

- pull forks from bike (disconnect brake caliper and cable/hose capture points)

- remove top cap from forks. If you don't have an impact gun crack these loose BEFORE you remove the forks from the bike. I have a gun so it didn't matter.

- drain all the fluid in a pan. Service manual says to stroke the forks in and out a few times to do this.

- replace with new fluid. You do this with the fork compressed fully and no spring installed. I used BellRay fluid, #10 as specified in the shop manual. It's a different color than what was in there, but I did a compatibility test in a small container and they mix together fine. Clearly, there will be some residual left in the fork cartridge when the new fluid is poured in.

- speaking of which, the manual states like 565ml's of fluid.. that's accurate! I put in 500 cc's and then about maybe 100 more and it was too much. Had to remove a tad. I made a measuring tool and measured the 6.5" from the top of the tube. No sweat.

- Extend the fork and place the spring, replace the cap but use a bit of fork oil on the O-ring. Tighten it but torque it once it's in the triple clamp.

- Repeat on the other fork.

- Reassemble and replace front wheel.

I was done in about 3 hours but I am nursing a damned heavy-duty upper respiratory bug so that slowed me down a bit... :busted:

Fork boots I got from Bikebandit.com. The OE boots are like $46 each and these boots, which fit perfectly, were $26 for the pair. Nice color too. The springs came from motorcycle accessory warehouse... In case you're wondering. If you need part numbers, email me and I'll send 'em to ya.

Here's a pic

Cheers. Merry Christmas.

forksprings.jpg

Thanks for posting:thumbsup:

Springs are next on my list. I'm kind of leaning toward the straight rate not progressive though. Need to do more research and ask some questions before I decide. The boots on my '01 have turned more gray than black so I was thinking of replacing those too. a link to the site where you got them would be great, I'll see if they come in black.

Thanks again for posting, and I hope you kick the bug!!

I got progressive springs also. if you're riding mostly street progressive seem to be the way to go, if off road, go with the straight rate.

I didn't take the front end apart, I just unscrewed the caps & pulled the old springs & spacers out & put in the new springs & new spacers.

the progressive springs called for a different size spacer than the stock unit.

I did lose a little fluid (stuck to the old springs) & need to add a little but overall I love the difference, got rid of the "pogo effect".

Thanks for posting:thumbsup:

Springs are next on my list. I'm kind of leaning toward the straight rate not progressive though. Need to do more research and ask some questions before I decide. The boots on my '01 have turned more gray than black so I was thinking of replacing those too. a link to the site where you got them would be great, I'll see if they come in black.

Thanks again for posting, and I hope you kick the bug!!

Ha, thanks! Antibiotics seem to be working..

Oh, and that link is as follows:

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A5004171

And yea, looks like they come in black. They fit like a glove. At first I thought they were a bit bigger around and would get hung up on the fender; ya know, where the fender is cut away for the fork boots to clear; but it doesn't. Fits great. Seem to be a nice quality material as well. More "rubbery" if that's a word.. LOL.. take care.