Side cover quick release

SideCoverD-Ring.JPG

I finally found the right size quick release fastener for the side cover on my WRX. These parts are from a 2008 TTR 125 right side cover...

Yamaha part #'s and MSRP:

3FV-28386-00-00 bolt head $12.70

2TK-21757-00-00 nylon washer $0.80

5TJ-21757-00-00 retainer washer $0.47

4XV-2177L-01-00 clip $2.20

You need one of each of the above. Put the nylon washer on the fastener and slide it down so it is under the head. This is to keep the fastener from scratching the plastic or paint. You can see the nylon washer here...

NylonWasher.JPG

Stick the fastener into the side cover hole and then install the retainer washer on the back side so the fastener doesn't fall out. Install the retainer washer with the flaired teeth facing the bike...

RetainerWasher.JPG

Now comes the fun part. Remove the bracket from the bike that the old bolt screwed into. You will need to cut or grind the welded nut off the backside of this plate so the new clip will slide over it. You may also need to drill out the hole a little bigger for the quick release fastener to fit through. Then just reinstall the plate on the bike and slide the new clip over the plate. It fits perfect and lines right up with the existing hole.

Clip.JPG

ClipInstalled.JPG

After you are done you may need to adjust the clip by bending it so the quick release fastener grabs it completely. This is a 1/4 turn type fastener, not a threaded bolt, so it needs the proper spring tension to hold. You will know when you have it adjusted right when you put the fastener in and turn it and hear a click. Then just fold down the D-ring and you're off to the races! :busted:

I am still working on the same setup for the airbox door. This one is too short since the airbox door is thicker than the side cover. This one is 17mm long from under the head to the tip. I think I need a 24mm bolt to do the airbox door. I have one on order, so I will let you know how it fits.

More great stuff, mwakey! :busted:

This is exactly what Yamaha should have done to start with.

They make great stocking stuffers too!

HO HO HO!

Excellent! but will it work for the other side too? And where else could such handy stocking stuffers work for quick release items... :busted:

Excellent! but will it work for the other side too? And where else could such handy stocking stuffers work for quick release items... :busted:

It won't work on the left side because the tab is smaller and is welded on the frame with the nut on the back of it. Even if you cut the nut off, there isn't enough left there to hold the new clip. That sucks because it would be nice to have quick access to the battery if there was an electrical problem. I have a longer one coming for the airbox door, but I don't see anywhere else something like this would fit (or be needed).

I love these types of posts. :busted:

Good work on this, thanks for sharing it, I'll order the parts in the AM.

Just a little update on this one. I finally got the longer 24 mm bolt today for my air box door. It fits perfectly. So now I need to order another one of these...

Clip.JPG

And use it to replace the clip on the airbox (the one that has the nut welded to the backside). This clip fits perfectly and is the same size as the stock one. Once I do that, I will end up with something that looks like this...

Airbox_D-ring.JPG

I got the longer 1/4 turn bolt from Targa Sportbike Accessories. They were out of stock on the blue anodized ones so I settled for gold. Can't see it anyhow once the side cover is on. It did come with two nylon washers but no retainer washer...

http://www.targa-acc.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?name=upc_code&value=15-QR24BL&format=3

The clip is from Yamaha, and is the same one I used for the side cover. That part number is 4XV-2177L-01-00. You also need another one of the retainer washers to hold the bolt in the airbox door, since it didn't come with one. This is the toothed washer in my original post. That number is also Yamaha 5TJ-21757-00-00.

So now I can access the air filter without any tools. Quarter turn bolts on the side cover and airbox door.

Sorry for the extra large side scrolling pic. I forgot to resize it before I uploaded. :thinking:

What size is the Yamaha 1/4 turn fastner? It is $14 on most sites and the ones at the Targa site are 1/3 the price. Thanks for the leg work on this!

What size is the Yamaha 1/4 turn fastner? It is $14 on most sites and the ones at the Targa site are 1/3 the price. Thanks for the leg work on this!

I don't remember now. I would probably bend the retainer washer out of shape if I took it apart to measure it now. I think it was 17 mm but I'm not sure. A 19 mm would work too I think. The clip is bendable so there is some adjustment to be had. 24 mm is too long for the side cover. The airbox door is thicker.

I know the 1/4 turn bolts are cheaper elsewhere, but I needed the clip from Yamaha anyhow, and besides, I work for a dealer so parts are cheap. The prices I listed originally are Yamaha MSRP, not my cost.

They are so cheap from Targa that I will just get a 17mm and a 19mm and a 24mm...when I get all my stuff I will post up what worked out.

They are so cheap from Targa that I will just get a 17mm and a 19mm and a 24mm...when I get all my stuff I will post up what worked out.

I just read my original post again and at the bottom it says it was a 17mm that I used for the side cover. So all you need is the 17mm for the side cover and the 24mm for the airbox door, and then two each of the Yamaha clips and washers.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info!

Great thread,

Thanks very much for the information :cheers:

I found a fantastic supplier of all the fittings needed, they have the fasteners available in Titanium, Alloy and Stainless Steel :banghead:

http://www.tastynuts.com/