The Wife and a 2 Stroke

I just picked up an `03 KX 250. The wife wants to learn to ride. The 9 yr. old just got a new `03 XR80 for Christmas - an over due upgrade from his PW50. The wife is fairly athletic and agressive - but she's never ridden (much) before. I'm a bit worried about getting here a 'starter' 4 stroke, say something like a KLX 125 as I think if she gets into ridding she'll bore with it if she's riding with me. I'm also thinking, I could maybe get her to learn on something like a KX85 and then have the boy move to her bike and maybe more her up to a 125. So, my question is - she's about 5'7" tall. Is a KX 85 too small for her? I think too large of a 2 stroke and she'll get scared - but also the seat height seems to be ~33.1" - she says her inseam is 30".

So, hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone and get the family up to all riding 2 strokes. What ya'll think? In general, think this might work or should I just suck it up and buy something for her that might only last a year and not satisfy?

Interested in your general opinions.

Cheers,

Andrew

I think the kx 85 would be a perfect starter bike, especially since its a 2 stroke. Also perfect leaning bike for shifting, and it would make her a better rider when she gets used to it.

KX100:thumbsup:

I second the kx 100 idea.

I second the kx 100 idea.

I 3rd that:thumbsup:

i 4th that^^^..lol

WELCOME!

I have a KLX 300 that my wife is learning to ride on and she's 5'8". I just picked up a 125 2 smoker but there's no way I'm letting her ride that. I've never ridden an 85 but I would think it would be mild enough for her to learn on given a large enough area. Possibly a better choice would be an xr200. You can get them cheap and sell it next season for what you paid for it.

KX (or RM) 100. Put on a flywheel weight. Easily controllable power, real suspension, reliable as a hammer.

my wife is 5'6 110lbs and she learned on a kx 85 with no prob. I think I am going to upgrade her to a kx 100 now as the boy has taken over her 85 hehehe

My girlfriend races off road and seat heigth is big deal. We did the KX100 route, the bigger wheels are better than the 85. We currently use YZ125's, the 2005 and newer ones are the lightest full size bikes. We do have to lower them, 1" front and rear on the suspension. I cut the seats down too, and slot the holes in the lower sub frame mounts. This works pretty good, for a 29 or 30 inch inseem.

chevydiver, do you have any pictures of the modificed yz - and any with your gf on it? I'm in the same boat as your gf...

I love 2t but bought a KLX140L for my wife - the push button starting made the bike much easier for her.

WELCOME!

I have a KLX 300 that my wife is learning to ride on and she's 5'8". I just picked up a 125 2 smoker but there's no way I'm letting her ride that. I've never ridden an 85 but I would think it would be mild enough for her to learn on given a large enough area. Possibly a better choice would be an xr200. You can get them cheap and sell it next season for what you paid for it.

I loved my KLX300. It was easy to start and the CVK carb, although is not snappy like a pumper, is very forgiving with elevation changes. Mine started so easily, even when dumped. Only about 2 kicks. It's heavier than my KX but was a great bike. I can see it being a great bike for a lady to who's just learning to ride.

Karl

KX100 with a tall seat and bars should be good

Great input guys, thanks.

I hope to check out a 2004 KX 85 today - if anything just to get an idea of the size for her, but also because there are 2 in the area for sale with really good price tags. There's not a single KX 100 (online that is) in the area for sale. I'll see how it goes and start doing some local research (I just moved to the area yesterday). I'll let you all know how we make out - but I'm pretty sure I've bagged on the idea of the KLX 125 for her that I was considering. Too bad she already wasn't riding, there's a couple KDX 200's around that I wouldn't mind getting.

Cheers,

Andrew

We did the KX100 route, the bigger wheels are better than the 85.

And that's why you want the KX100- for the bigger wheels.

We had an '06 KX85 for awhile and those little suckers are fire-breathers. It honestly felt like it had the power/weight ratio of a 250.

Just my 02 but you need to remember that this is a starter bike for her! There is much for a beginer to learn, skills to be aquired and maybe most importantly, confidence to build along the way. If you want to keep her in the game this starter bike should be as user friendly as possible. The KX-85/100 is a great bike but I don't think it's the best choice as a starter bike for her.

I love 2 strokes but a 4 would be much better for anyone to learn on.

There's not a single KX 100 (online that is) in the area for sale. I'll see how it goes and start doing some local research (I just moved to the area yesterday).

What part of WA do you live in?

The KDX 200 would make a fantastic starter/keeper for her. They are very forgiving and super durable. The seats are quite thick and can be cut down to lower the overall height. You can run the tubes up in the triple clamps and add a bit more sag to the rear end as well. They are easy to start (a very important factor for an beginner) and hard to stall. Parts are easy to get and, as she improves it's and easy bike to to upgrade. It' also a great bike for the boy to upgrade to later.