removing flywheel

im trying to remove the flywheel on a 2002 xr650r. for those of you who have done this on this model bike, is the flywheel bolt threaded reverse? is it a regular bolt that loosens counterclockwise or is it threaded backwards due to the spinnign of the flywheel?

I have not removed one from an XR but on a CRF the nut has a normal thread. The pain is keeping the engine from spinning while you try to loosen it. a few methods people use to remove it are

1. impact wrench - nice because you usually dont need to hold the fly wheel still

2. put the bike in 5th gear and have someone step on the rear brake or find an allen key that will fit in a hole on the rear disk and rotate the wheel till it jams against the caliper (just be careful how it jams). This method didnt work for me because the clutch just started slipping instead.

3. Lastly and this is the method that worked for me but it requires a tool that not everyone has. Find a good strap wrench and place it around the fly wheel to hold it and go at it with a conventional ratchet.

Make sure you have a proper flywheel puller because you WILL cause damage with out one. Also be prepared for it to sound like a shotgun when it does pop loose. It happens rather sudden and with enough noise that you will think you broke something expensive.

Good Luck

whats the benefit from removing the flywheel?

whats the benefit from removing the flywheel?

The benefit would be that your bike would not run :busted:. I believe It has to be taken off to install a new stator.

thanks for info

bump for info on the thread direction on xrr

Porter is right the engine wont run with out it. The flywheel carries a magnet that spins around the stator to create electrical power. Usually you dont need to remove it to access the stator i am about 99% percent sure that is true with the XR. Some people like to put heavier flywheels on to smooth out power and prevent stalling (read as cant control clutch properly) Typically trail riders will use heavier flywheels. The flip side is some prefer lighter flywheels, this will allow the engine to rev quicker and require a little more revving and clutch control when going from a dead stop. Usally hardcore MX and sand dune guys go with lighter flywheels. Note that what ever you do with a flywheel no more or less power is generated.

I had a 15+ ounce flywheel on my crf450r and i didnt like it. Took the edge off the bike that i kinda liked. Some swear by them, however mine will stay in a pile with the other parts i have swapped out.

thanks for info

bump for info on the thread direction on xrr

honda shop manual in FAQ sticky top of board:smirk:

no mention of reverse threads

:busted:

Normal threads for both the flywheel bolt and the threads for the flywheel puller.

The flywheel puller I got from the local dealer needed the snout ground off to get enough threads in.

+1 for the impact wrench, just be sure to hold the flywheel with a gloved hand to prevent the motor from turning over.

Normal threads for both the flywheel bolt and the threads for the flywheel puller.

The flywheel puller I got from the local dealer needed the snout ground off to get enough threads in.

+1 for the impact wrench, just be sure to hold the flywheel with a gloved hand to prevent the motor from turning over.

Impact guns are amazing tools. I have found where impact guns are actually less likely to snap stubborn tightened on bolts then using a big breaker bar. This is contrary to what you would think. Most of the time I just use impact guns for breaking bolts loose and then tighten by hand to get a good feel for the threads.