Engine oil - TTR 125L

Hey guys,

I was wondering what brand and type of engine oil to use in the ttr? Also what is the amount of engine oil that is needed by the engine itself?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

uhhh.. our 05 uses 1 liter... in little 1/4 inch high letters by the oil cooling fins right below the dipstick

and we use bel ray synthetic 4 stroke oil (duh... 4 stroke oil lol)

the book states to use 20w 50 I believe when it is hot out and 10w30 in cooler temps. Whatever you use if riding sandy trails change it often because there is no filter. We change ours in the 125 and 230 every other weekend of trail riding depending on how long we ride. I have used the heavier weight when in the middle of summer and 10w30 the rest of the year. I think this year I am going to Rotella T year round. $11 a gallon. I use the Rotella T synthetic in my Vstrom and DR200. I figure why use synthetic in the trail bikes because I change the oil so often.

the book states to use 20w 50 I believe when it is hot out and 10w30 in cooler temps. Whatever you use if riding sandy trails change it often because there is no filter. We change ours in the 125 and 230 every other weekend of trail riding depending on how long we ride. I have used the heavier weight when in the middle of summer and 10w30 the rest of the year. I think this year I am going to Rotella T year round. $11 a gallon. I use the Rotella T synthetic in my Vstrom and DR200. I figure why use synthetic in the trail bikes because I change the oil so often.

yep...

bel ray and rotella are some of the best oils you can get

change it very often, because of the lack of an oil filter...

10/40 or 10/30 are rated well below 0 degrees... i think 20/50 is about... 3 or 4 degrees? i dunno... i can leave the heater on in our shop to let the bikes get about 80 degrees throughout so i can start them easily, and not worry about thick, goopy oil ruining something because it wont flow

I run dino yamalube. 20/40 in the winter and 20/50 in the summer.

I run Mobil1 Gold cap 15w-50 in all of my bikes. Believe it or not, when you switch from dino oil to synthetic you can feel it in the shifter. It's actually smoother than with regular dino oil like Yamalube. I figure if it makes a big enough difference you can feel it with your toe, it must be better for the engine. There's actually less moly in the gold cap oil than there is in their motorcycle specific oil.

I've noticed this on every Yamaha I've ever had.

We've been putting cat diesel oil in mine, it's non detergent, and it's free to me

amsoil 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil. expensive but worth it

I think this year I am going to Rotella T year round. $11 a gallon. I use the Rotella T synthetic in my Vstrom and DR200. I figure why use synthetic in the trail bikes because I change the oil so often.
yep...

bel ray and rotella are some of the best oils you can get

Rotella works in these? Good to know because that is what I use in my diesel.

Rotella works in these? Good to know because that is what I use in my diesel.

i dont know about rotella as diesel oil, but most people around where we live use bel-ray or rotella... mostly because they are good, and fairly inexpensive

We switched from rotella to catapilar, cat offers oil analasys, if ya buy it by the drum, 10-30 now but around april, we go to 15-40

i dont know about rotella as diesel oil, but most people around where we live use bel-ray or rotella... mostly because they are good, and fairly inexpensive

Rotella is designed for diesel engines. It is also great in motorcycles because the il is also subjected to high sheer. That is what really kills the viscosity in oil. On the Shell website they even recommend it for motorcycles. It is about the cheapest and the best either blue or white bottle.

Rotella is designed for diesel engines. It is also great in motorcycles because the il is also subjected to high sheer. That is what really kills the viscosity in oil. On the Shell website they even recommend it for motorcycles. It is about the cheapest and the best either blue or white bottle.

Blue being the synthetic version and white is the dino stuff. I think I'll need to try that as it is way less expensive than the motorcycle specific oils.

Blue and white i'm all for, but, i like the oil that comes in a black and yellow drum, just like the old yamahas