Fat Bar ?'S

Hi,

I wanna put some fat bars on my bike, the ones without the cross bar *I find them so much more comfortable*.

I was looking at the Tag Metals T2, and they say it has a taper from 7/8 to 1 1/8. Is that 7/8 at the bar mount? If so, then I could use my stock bar mounts.

Also, can I use my stock throttle housing, tube, and control clamps?

Thank You

So, you think its 7/8ths that flare out to 1 1/8th at the grip?

Bell bottom handlebars?

Well, I thought that sounds ass backwards.

Making the bars weaker.

But I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

They start at 1 1/8 at the mount and taper to 7/8 so standard controls will fit. Outlaw Racing and others make adapters to fit between stock bar mounts and fat bars....these tend to be slightly cheaper than new mounts. never mind these are the same price $30

pics didn't work

http://www.pitposse.com/pounoemmo11h.html

yeah...

if i were you, get some renthal twinwall bars...

they are pretty indestructable

Don't go with Tag bars. Cole Siebler's (pro racer) dad is real high up in the Tag Metals company and he said he wouldn't use any Tag products. Kid at the track here was using Tag bars and upon landing they simply snapped.

Do those taper to were you can use stock controls, throttle tube, and housing?

I don't think they do.

Thanks

Go and order some Universal (brand) Solex bars, they're awesome I have them on my CRF and had them on the YZ before I sold it. LOVE them, they're oversized 1 1/8 at the mounts and 7/8 at the controls so all your stuff will fit. Also... I still have a pair of Universal oversized mounts I'm thinking about getting rid of, I really have no use for them... I ordered them and then they didn't come in time for the race so I bought some Pro Taper oversized mounts at the track... non-returnable.

Don't go with Tag bars. Cole Siebler's (pro racer) dad is real high up in the Tag Metals company and he said he wouldn't use any Tag products. Kid at the track here was using Tag bars and upon landing they simply snapped.

I wonder how much longer Mr. Siebler is going to have a job giving out information like that. :busted:

All bars are 7/8th's at the ends (with the exception of the peewee bikes such as XR50's, PW50's, etc) which are smaller. As far as controls you will be fine with any of the taper or fat bars.

Mounts are a different story. You may need adapters (which also give the bars about a 1" rise) or different mounts (if your stockers are rubber mounted to the top triple). Some people even go with a new top triple clamp, but most don't.

My brother ran TAG's for a couple of seasons in the single A Pro class (moto & Hare/Hound) with no real issue.. but maybe things have changed there at TAG? I'd be interested to know if their clamps were chamferred on the edges- with a lot of pounding or hard riding a non-chamferred edge can weaken the aluminum bar there. Nowadays, most mounts come filed down or slightly rounded on the edge already.

Personally, I like the ProTapers. The ProTaper EVO's are supposedly a little stronger than their "Contour" model, but if bar space is at a premium (such as an X equipped with handguards) the Contours are a better option as they have a more abrupt curve which gives more room for controls.

I wonder how much longer Mr. Siebler is going to have a job giving out information like that. :busted:

Great point. Very unprofessional thing to say. Especially for a pro rider.

Let me rephrase that. Cole Siebler said he wouldn't use the Tag products, not his father who is in the company.