2001 DRZ knocking?

Hello All,

I have a 2001 DRZ dual sport with 1400 miles. I've noticed that if it's at idle in neutral or clutch in and I romp on the gas, I hear a knock coming from the engine. If I gas it more normal then it does not do this. Does anyone have an idea what this may be? I recently got the bike so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks...

Is this piston slap pretty common on the DRZ? Is it detrimental? This thing only has 1500 miles, so I'm kind of worried.

How do I raise the idle speed.

Thanks I appreciate any help...

The little knob on your carb will raise the idle...:busted:

I just bought a dr-z and i freaked out about the same noises. The bike just makes funny noises man, try not to let it get into your head. The engine makes a slight ticking sound and the pistons sound like a sowing machine.

As long as the bike runs good and the noises dont sound extremely load and nasty, your bike is fine. These suzukis are tough as nails but they all sound like they are messed up if you dont have a trained ear for the dr-z engine noise.

I just bought a dr-z and i freaked out about the same noises. The bike just makes funny noises man, try not to let it get into your head. The engine makes a slight ticking sound and the pistons sound like a sowing machine.

As long as the bike runs good and the noises dont sound extremely load and nasty, your bike is fine. These suzukis are tough as nails but they all sound like they are messed up if you dont have a trained ear for the dr-z engine noise.

Slight ticking noise....???? You must have gotten a nice one...:busted::moon: The motors are noisy...A little scarry till you get to know it.

:mad:?

Erling

Is this piston slap pretty common on the DRZ? Is it detrimental? This thing only has 1500 miles, so I'm kind of worried.

How do I raise the idle speed.

Thanks I appreciate any help...

Piston slap caused by a short piston skirt combined with "lugging" or low RPM....the DRZ likes to be wrung out a bit....you don't need to bounce of the rev limiter but don't be afraid to get the RPM's up.....

Lugging the bike is not good and yes over time could cause a problem.