Just got kx85 for bro and have questions.

About a week ago me and my dad picked up a 2005 kx85 for $900. It seems to be in great condition. Since this is my little brothers first bike I am going to have to tame it down a bit for him to learn how to ride it. We kind of ran out of money so anything that I can do to tame it down that doesn't cost money please tell me. Also, since he is not going to be on the pipe for a while, I was thinking of mixing the gas at 32:1. Do you guys think that that is good or should I give it more oil. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

If I were you I would make sure the bike is going to run as crisp and cleanly as possible. I would go with at the most a 40:1 premix. After all he's going to be lugging the thing as he learns to ride. Not riding that thing on the pipe will make it much easier to foul plugs and cause difficult starting with a pre-mix richer than normal. Trust me he will be just fine learning on that thing stock. Keep in mind it wont make good power unless it's reved out, and like you said he won't be on the pipe in the begining. I would also make sure that the clutch is as smooth as possible. At the very least make sure the cable is well lubed and not binding. And lastly make sure he knows where those brakes are!!:busted:

You can put a throttle stop screw in it for under 50 bucks.

You can put a throttle stop screw in it for under 50 bucks.

I have been looking for those but ant find them. Where can u buy it?

If I were you I would make sure the bike is going to run as crisp and cleanly as possible. I would go with at the most a 40:1 premix. After all he's going to be lugging the thing as he learns to ride. Not riding that thing on the pipe will make it much easier to foul plugs and cause difficult starting with a pre-mix richer than normal. Trust me he will be just fine learning on that thing stock. Keep in mind it wont make good power unless it's reved out, and like you said he won't be on the pipe in the begining. I would also make sure that the clutch is as smooth as possible. At the very least make sure the cable is well lubed and not binding. And lastly make sure he knows where those brakes are!!:busted:

The clutch is extremely smooth and im going to have to buy a lot of plugs. Thanks

When my son had a kx65 we put washers in the pipe were it exits the motor.Dont see why you could not do it on a 85.Also for about 25 bucks you can get a moose racing torque spacer.Tames it down.Takes it off the top of the power band and adds it to the bottom.If its his 1st clutch bike it helps alot.

When my son had a kx65 we put washers in the pipe were it exits the motor.Dont see why you could not do it on a 85.Also for about 25 bucks you can get a moose racing torque spacer.Tames it down.Takes it off the top of the power band and adds it to the bottom.If its his 1st clutch bike it helps alot.

Steahly, a company that specializes in off-road type riding makes those exhaust header spacers for big 2-strokes. Can't hurt to try. but not sure it would be necessary.

Mix it at 32:1, be safe. A richer mixture doesnt cause fouled plugs, rich jetting does

try one of the washers in the header, that should tame it down

This might work....

Go up about 15 sizes on the mainjet. This way when he accidentally cracks the throttle too far it will bog.

I believe you can move the timing and take the hit out of it.Dont know wich way thou.

the pilot jet is lean from the factory and the main is slightly fat (sea level).

I would advance the timing although advance timing makes it hit harder it also allows the bike to have more low end but doesnt allow it to rev as much.

Alot of poeple retard the timing to mellow the bike down but all that does in my opinion is make it rev further it does have a little less hit but doesnt pull from the bottom. I did that to my sons 65 and it pulled from the bottom better and made him more comfortable.

I didnt do much to his 85.