What to do to a new to me 2000 XR100

I just picked up a 2000 XR100 for my son...It is his first dirtbike...He is 12 years old but a short kid. Right now the thing runs good as he does not need any more power at this level of learning...He has always had quads...He is coming off of a Suzuki LT80. I was watching him try it out the other day and he is very nervous on the bike but i know that will improve with time riding...I rode the bike a little and the thing to me felt completely gutless. Not like there is something wrong with it, just slow enough that if he had to climb a long kinda steep hill i dont think the bike could do it. I know he doesnt care yet but what can be done to improve the performance cheeply. thanks for all your suggestions ahead of time.

A big-bore kit and pipe will work wonders. Sure it doesn't need the top end freshened up? 'nutcase

That 132cc TB kit is worth trying. That will be some added punch.

420 chain and sprockets from a XR80,remove snorkel from airbox,Uni filter,rejet carb.,10w30 oil,XR80 wheels and tires.this should make alittle difference,and if that's not enough,like SoCal said,132 kit,Web or Powrol cam,and XR200 or ATC200X carb.

cool thanks for the advice. I am going to try the simple stuff before going with a big bore kit. What is the best sprocket tooth numbers front and rear to run for a little more top end. right now it takes off great but runs out real fast.

It's really personal preference I've been told.I'm using 13/46 with XR80 chain,sprockets,and wheels.I think stock is 14/50.I think 15/50 or 14/45 would be a good combination.The XR80 chain and sprockets made a pretty big difference in power or atleast it seems.My bike will wheelie in 3rd gear with alittle clutch,and I don't mean barely come off the ground.It will get up to the break over point.

Condor74,I'm sorry to thread jack,but I just oblonged the holes on the pick up coil on my XR100.Thanks to Shortstuff's info,my bike revs alot faster.It is raining outside so I only got to ride it about 10 minutes,but I can feel the difference.I told my son that I was going to make my XR100 faster than his CRF150F.

:busted:

no problem on thread jacking. I am looking for any cheep aka free mods to make the bike more enjoyable. Any discussion leading to that is helpful.

Not to be to personal, but what do you wiegh compared to him? My wifes little 100 isn't any huge power house, but seems to have enough torque to climb a pretty steep hill.

Getting her completely tuned in may also help...adjust the valves, carb, things like that if it hasn't been done recently. Do a compression test just to be sure you aren't really down on compression, which is causing the decreased sense of power.

Not to be to personal, but what do you wiegh compared to him? My wifes little 100 isn't any huge power house, but seems to have enough torque to climb a pretty steep hill.

Getting her completely tuned in may also help...adjust the valves, carb, things like that if it hasn't been done recently. Do a compression test just to be sure you aren't really down on compression, which is causing the decreased sense of power.

I weigh 165#,and my boy weighs about 110#.I ride a '06KTM525EXC when I'm not on the XR100.I bought the bike to keep the hours off my KTM(Hondas live forever).I race supermoto trackdays,and offroad,and some dual sporting for fun.

There are several guys(grown men)on XR100's,and they have a ball on the little bikes.All I have done to mine is rejet carb,mod the airbox,UNI filter,XR80 wheels,chain,and sprockets,advance the timing,adjusted the valves,and changed the oil.I think I have gained atleast 2 HP,or maybe lost 2lbs?I just got my 200X carb from the mailbox.A new cable,and throttle housing are soon.Maybe I'll gain another 1/2HP.lol:thumbsup:

I weigh around 180 in full riding gear and ride a CRF250X with mods done to it. My son is around 80 pounds soaking wet. I got out and really rode it hard yesterday and it was a blast. once i got it into top gear it ran pretty fast. It seems to just have a really narrow power band that has mostly all low end power. I got fast enough that i was worried about the bikes suspension being able to soak up bumps at that speed. He is an extreme novice at this point so to me the bike is about perfect.

I wouldn't mess with the gearing just yet. In stock form the XR100 will climb just about anything out there. To me mild hill climbing and tight technical trail riding is where the XR100 does best. Change the gears for more top end and you compromise the afore mentioned abilities and put the bike at a higher speed where the suspension just doesn't cut it.