New to me DRZ!

After months of deliberation i went for the DRZ! I just picked her up tonight 2004 blue plastic S model, only 2076 miles on the ODO. My question is does it have a hard time starting when its cold? (im talking 52ish cold not COLD COLD) It took me about 6 times holding the start button to get her going! IS this normal or should i worry (new battery btw) thanks all and Shes also BONE stock so first mod suggestions are encouraged!!! thanks guys

Nate

(sorry for the poor editing and run ons its late and i just wanted to throw this out there)

It should not have too hard of a time starting, you are using the choke? remember no throttle when starting.

possible problems:

old gas-replace with new gas

clogged pilot jet or starter jet-clean out with carb cleaner+compressed air(this may be hard as the opening for the pilot jet is small many recommend a new pilot jet it is ~$6)

tight valves-to check get a manual or search TT for tappet clearances, if tight put in shims and recheck often to make sure clearances are not moving

leaky petcock and float valve=>flooded- to check see if petcock leaks by putting it to the on position after taking off the fuel line, watch for a while to verify no leaks(even a very slow leak can cause problems) if petcock leaks check float valve for leaks

other thoughts

spark plug-have a look and see if it needs to be replaced

vacuum leak

have a look here:

hopefully this helps,

Jbw

wow quick response! i may have hit the gas a bit ill try again in the AM. Also how fast should it kick over (my first electric start bike) almost immediate or a couple seconds cranking??? thanks and sorry for the ignorance about the bike just learning!!!

Nate

phyter, someone here mentioned getting a different battery from Eddie Cisneros. I'm sure it's not a bad idea regardless. Can't have enough cranking power. After all, that's the whole purpose of an electric start, right?

That's the reason i never got into dirt bike riding. I had a two stroke 500 that I could never kick start :busted:

Lost interest real quick..

My old yellow 04 S would start no matter how cold with full choke, hands off the throttle, and about 1-2 seconds on the starter button. Even when it was not so cold, it still wanted choked, but it was always 1-2 seconds on the starter. So far, my yellow 07 SM seems to work the same but there haven't been many not so cold starts yet!! Winter......Merry Christmas!!

congrats on the new bike...shouldn't be a dealy to start. choke all out, few seconds kick on the majic button and presto. run for about 30s choke on then kill and let go about 30 more and ready to go. I know my bike gets pissed if I havents started her in a while...get some good gas, throttle out, ride hard, and hang up wet. you will be thanked in the morning...

thanks guys for all the help again. Pretty sure nothings wrong! Im gonna clean the carb throughly tomorrow and see if it helps at all, it starts pretty good now (dont think i was use to magic button) But it does backfire a little bit on decel and it seems to have a but of throttle lag and bog(pilot jet?) While im in there im gonna go after the 3x3 mod and rejet what jet settings would you suggest im at sea level and ride mostly below 1000ft?

Nate

Sounds like you could be on the lean side. Eddie will know your jetting setup.

thanks guys for all the help again. Pretty sure nothings wrong! Im gonna clean the carb throughly tomorrow and see if it helps at all, it starts pretty good now (dont think i was use to magic button) But it does backfire a little bit on decel and it seems to have a but of throttle lag and bog(pilot jet?) While im in there im gonna go after the 3x3 mod and rejet what jet settings would you suggest im at sea level and ride mostly below 1000ft?

Nate

Hi phyter, :p

Congrats on your bike!:moon:

Next cold start, try putting your fuel petcock in the PRI position first. This makes sure the float bowl on the carb is full before starting. Mine sat around for a week because of cold wet weather, and didn't want to start even with the choke on until I put it on PRI. Then it fired right up.:busted:

Take Care,

Greg

Mine is a 2006 s model, barely. 3x3, fmf quiet core, jd jetting 160, 25, blue needle on 3rd groove, 2.5 turns out on fuel screw. the deal is, go out in the morning, she starts right up, runs great, stop for a moment, turn off. THEN, upon trying to restart, will not, will run battery dead if i let it. can bump start, pain in the, well you know... leave it alone, go out next morning, she starts right up...what do y'all think. almost forgot, i live at 3770'.

Hope I got this in the right forum, if not slap me. I just want it to run right, Stan. Will go out and ride the 08 ktm 250 sxf forfrustration relief. This bike is awesome...

Mine is a 2006 s model, barely. 3x3, fmf quiet core, jd jetting 160, 25, blue needle on 3rd groove, 2.5 turns out on fuel screw. the deal is, go out in the morning, she starts right up, runs great, stop for a moment, turn off. THEN, upon trying to restart, will not, will run battery dead if i let it. can bump start, pain in the, well you know... leave it alone, go out next morning, she starts right up...what do y'all think. almost forgot, i live at 3770'.

Hope I got this in the right forum, if not slap me. I just want it to run right, Stan. Will go out and ride the 08 ktm 250 sxf forfrustration relief. This bike is awesome...

You should start your own thread and consider posting it in the jetting forum.

Tipsy

Get yourself the James Dean jet kit and Keintech extended fuel screw. With 3x3 and stock pipe you should need:

155 main

22.5 pilot with Keintech fuel screw

blue needle, clip 4

2.75 turns from closed

Is that last post for me or for the post above yours? haha thanks! If it for me whats the way to go without extended fuel screw?

Nate

Sorry to double post but i had another question! I took my carb off tonight (my god what a pain!) and cleaned her out. She starts better now but i did notice that the idle screw is ALL the way in (meaning its maxed idle) and it doesn't seem to be very fast at ALL. what could cause this ??? it runs but has hesitations when accelerating and pops a little on deceleration. Thanks in advance again everyone! You guys have saved me $$$$ :busted:

Is that last post for me or for the post above yours? haha thanks! If it for me whats the way to go without extended fuel screw?

Nate

For you! With the stock fuel screw you need to use the 25 pilot jet.

Anybody at all?

Sorry to double post but i had another question! I took my carb off tonight (my god what a pain!) and cleaned her out. She starts better now but i did notice that the idle screw is ALL the way in (meaning its maxed idle) and it doesn't seem to be very fast at ALL. what could cause this ??? it runs but has hesitations when accelerating and pops a little on deceleration. Thanks in advance again everyone! You guys have saved me $$$$ :busted:

Hi phyter, :moon:

It's difficult to answer your question, because there is no way to know exactly what you did without actually seeing what you did.

Are you able to access the pilot mixture screw? A properly set idle is a balance between both the idle speed screw and the pilot mixture screw. If you can't access both, it'll never be right. It's a screw in the bowl that points downward and comes stock covered with a brass plug so you can't adjust it. If it's there, you need to remove the plug so you can adjust the idle mixture. The sticky threads on top can tell you how to do it if you need to.

Also... watch out for pinching the fuel tank rubber vent line when you put the tank back on. That can really mess up things.

Take Care,

Greg

Thank you so much I will try that immediatly! Great tip on the hose! I'll try it later today and let ya all know how it went!

Hey Man, Ive got an 09 drz400sm, and I always have to give a bit of throttle to get her to kick. Mine runs great, but I always have to give it some throttle and choke when the engine is stone cold. Im not worried about it.

Well I bit the bullet and have a JD kit comming in the mail. Do you all really think i need the extended fuel screw? Input please !